WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   $50.00 Scratch Build Contest, It has Begun :) (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71752)

BroncoSquid 09-05-2013 04:52 PM

Wow, from the looks of things, My build is going to be VERY boring compared to others....:concern:

mclarkson 09-06-2013 04:39 AM

I still haven't chosen a plane to build!!!
:eek:
*panics*

Bill Gibson 09-06-2013 04:58 AM

I STILL DONT EVEN KNOW HOW TO (build a plane)...............but im tryin.........!!!

Bill Gibson 09-06-2013 05:00 AM

QUOTE=Bill Gibson;922586]I STILL DONT EVEN KNOW HOW TO (build a plane)...............but im tryin.........!!!:concern::Q[/QUOTE]OOPS sorry 'bout the double post!!

CHELLIE 09-06-2013 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Gibson (Post 922586)
I STILL DONT EVEN KNOW HOW TO (build a plane)...............but im tryin.........!!!

Hi Bill :ws: This link will give you and others some ideas and Build tips. Hope that Helps, Chellie

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55444

mclarkson 09-06-2013 05:12 AM

No build tips for me, please. I prefer to charge in, uninformed and under-prepared, and re-invent the wheel every time. ;)

I can't tell you how proud I was to have invented torque rods. :D

pizzano 09-06-2013 06:45 AM

I'd take a shot at this.....but just took inventory of existing stock......at the moment I'd be at $70.00....unless a scratch Slow Stick counts....lol

CHELLIE 09-06-2013 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by pizzano (Post 922609)
I'd take a shot at this.....but just took inventory of existing stock......at the moment I'd be at $70.00....unless a scratch Slow Stick counts....lol

Hi :ws: just the building material, balsa,foam, covering material, LG and cowl and canopy have to be itemized , everything else is a given power system etc.and does not have to be itemized and is not part of the $50.00 Budget, if you make your own canopy and cowl from scrap plastic bottles, it does not have to be itemized, I am just looking at a basic ARF airplane for the $50.00 budget,

what will cost you $70.00 , it may not be part of the build budget, Look at post #1

Alpea42 09-06-2013 07:50 AM

Hi Chellie I've tried twice to start a new build thread ... No luck?????Seems my reputation has preceeded me???

CHELLIE 09-06-2013 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Alpea42 (Post 922620)
Hi Chellie I've tried twice to start a new build thread ... No luck?????Seems my reputation has preceeded me???

Hi Al :ws: Welcome back :ws: Glad to have you on board, Take care, Chellie

Alpea42 09-06-2013 08:05 AM

"Welcome Baaaaaack , Your dreams were your ticket out." Welcome Baaaack to that same old place that we laughed about"

Don Sims 09-06-2013 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Alpea42 (Post 922620)

Looks like you got it going! Welcome back!

CHELLIE 09-06-2013 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by BroncoSquid (Post 922204)
Would building off an old set of rolled plans be concidered cheating?:concern:
Everything would be hand cut n glued.

As long as they are altered a little from the original, its fine to use.

hayofstacks 09-07-2013 07:57 AM

yet I have been asked to walk away from competition because I wanted to use 3d printed parts.

I hope no one has to use fabricated parts on machines they didn't build for parts they did design, and actually engineered.

but modifying an arf or kit is fine. so much for a fun friendly competition to get people to build and fly planes.

CHELLIE 09-07-2013 11:55 AM

Sure you can use a laser cutter, Problem is, not everyone has access to a parts printer, and others may feel that they wont be able to compete against it, I am doing my best to try to keep this contest on a equal footing, if I would have know there was going to be so much squabbling, I would have not even started this contest, my intent was to make this contest simple, so that the newbie builder would not feel over whelmed and would have access to plans and kits, but they must be altered a little so that they are not the 100% original build but a variation, so the builder can make the plane his own creation and get off to a good start, not everyone is very creative to be able to start from just an idea in their head, Again, the Intent of this contest is to get the Newbie builder Involved, to keep it simple, and to keep this contest on Equal Footing for everyone, AND, I will try to stop the Grinches from taking the FUN out of this Contest. Chellie

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ristmas%29.jpg

quorneng 09-07-2013 01:28 PM

I hate to stick my head above the parapet but this is a scratch build blog & contest.
Chellie has tried to make it as open as possible by allowing 'modified' kits but a line has to be drawn somewhere. Her comp, her rules.

I think Chellie should be congratulated for running it.

You have my admiration.

rcers 09-07-2013 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by quorneng (Post 922779)
I hate to stick my head above the parapet but this is a scratch build blog & contest.

Sigh....

But you seem to be the one with a beef.

Way to encourage others! I thought it was such a fun idea. Now it is bound by your definition of "scratch". :oops:

CHELLIE 09-07-2013 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by rcers (Post 922787)
Sigh....

But you seem to be the one with a beef.

Way to encourage others! I thought it was such a fun idea. Now it is bound by your definition of "scratch". :oops:

We got off to a Shaky Start, Lets put that behind Us and have Fun Ok, Thats what this contest is all about FUN, My definition of Scratch may be different from others, Lets just go by the rules posted and have fun, Chellie

hayofstacks 09-07-2013 09:30 PM

okay, here's the fix then. anyone who wants to use 3d printed parts can. you can have then built by all kinds of places. I don't see how me making my own wing mounts or battery boxes instead of using a dowel and rubber band is any different.

so you can use a $1k commercial laser cutter that noone has access to, but not something that can make small plastic parts that is cheap, and ANYONE can make for $2-300 dollars.

I'm not trying to piss anyone off. even if I did win by some miracle, I wouldn't even take the battery. I just thought it would be to participate in a build off and show other people a completely new way of building, and flying airplanes for cheap.

edited by mod

pizzano 09-07-2013 11:05 PM

Please do NOT continue to post this!

I have removed all the comments - please don't re-edit it.

Mike

rcers 09-07-2013 11:24 PM

Enough of this guys....

Edited both posts. Please consider the site rules - Thank you both....

Mike

pizzano 09-07-2013 11:41 PM

Thanks for finally stepping in.....it's appreciated!

CHELLIE 09-08-2013 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by hayofstacks (Post 922813)
okay, here's the fix then. anyone who wants to use 3d printed parts can. you can have then built by all kinds of places. I don't see how me making my own wing mounts or battery boxes instead of using a dowel and rubber band is any different.

so you can use a $1k commercial laser cutter that noone has access to, but not something that can make small plastic parts that is cheap, and ANYONE can make for $2-300 dollars.

I'm not trying to piss anyone off. even if I did win by some miracle, I wouldn't even take the battery. I just thought it would be to participate in a build off and show other people a completely new way of building, and flying airplanes for cheap.

edited by mod

I would love to see Parts that are printed for Rc Planes, Please do a Thread on it Outside This Contest, I think that would be very very interesting, Take care and have fun, Chellie

CHELLIE 09-08-2013 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by rcers (Post 922822)
Enough of this guys....

Edited both posts. Please consider the site rules - Thank you both....

Mike

Thank You Mike :ws:

Wrench66 09-08-2013 12:12 AM

Glad to see that's calmed down.
Ok cool.....let's get to it then and put some of that emotion into making something creative fly :D
--Ray