WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   $50.00 Scratch Build Contest, It has Begun :) (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71752)

CHELLIE 09-01-2013 09:58 AM

$50.00 Scratch Build Contest, It has Begun :)
 
Hi Everyone :ws: What I am Proposing is a $50.00 Scratch Build Contest, The $50.00 limit will be for the Airframe, Landing Gear, cowl, covering & canopy only if purchased, The power system is your choice and is not part of the $50.00 build, here are the Rules.

1. plane or flying wing or air boat to be made from Foam, Balsa , coroplast, cardboard or even Bamboo, It does not matter what you build with, its your choice.
2. must be E Power :D
3. after market plastic Cowl and Canopy can be used as part of the $50.00 budget. covering is part of the $50.00 Budget.
4. 60 days to get r done :p>
5. 2 week judging period by Wattflyer members after the 60 day build time.
6. a build thread on the Contest Entry and itemize the parts cost, The only parts that Need to be Itemized is the building material that is purchased, foam, balsa, cowl, covering, canopy, and LG, everything else is a given, and does not have to be Itemized. if the cowl and canopy is made from scrap plastic, they do not have to be itemized, only what is purchased.
7. servos, wiring, hinges, battery, Receiver, Transmitter, motor, esc,prop, paint, glue, decals, stickers, Shipping are not part of the $50.00 budget they do not have to be Itemized.
8. a video to show how well the plane flies
9. Appearance will be 50% of the Judging and Aircraft’s Performance will account for the other 50%
10. Altered Kits and Plans can be used, it does not matter how the parts are cut out, laser, knife Etc, This is to make it easy for the newbie Builder starting out to encourage them to Build in a contest and be successful.
11. Please, Dont harass a fellow builder, If anyone has any issues, PM me. I am allowing a lot of Leniency in this contest to make it fun and thats the way it should be.
12. (Added ) Ok to Frankenstein old air plane parts as long as its only 50% of the Build, the other 50% must be a new build. This may help to attract more builders.

Official Start Date is Sept 6 2013
End Date Nov. 6 2013, Extended to Nov. 15 due to Bad Weather is some Parts of the Country.

Added :

If Weather in some parts of the country get bad, I will extent the contest time so everyone can maiden and fly and video their plane, just let me know. I want to make sure everyone gets a chance to fly their creation, Take care, Chellie

The Winner will get a Brand new Turnigy 2200mah 20-30C 3 cell lipo from me. and a Scratch Building Award Icon. :)
(Added)
2nd Place Winner will get a AX2308N 1800kv Powerful Micro motor, I love this motor with a 30 amp esc and a APC 7x6 prop, I run them at 20+ amps all day long and they love it :) http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...cro_Motor.html Here is Kosh with this 1800kv micro motor in a pusher plane with a 7x6 APC prop http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgV17GlLMlI and they get a Scratch Builder award Icon. :)

3rd Place get a Scratch Builder Award Icon and Bragging rights :)
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/imag...ldersmedal.gif and all builders get Bragging Rights :D LOL



$50 dollar scratchbuilt contest entry Cassutt

$50.00 Scratch Build Contest Entry - Clancy's Lady Bug rev. B

$50.00 Scratch Build Contest Entry - F7F Tigercat

My $50 scratch build entry, "Tiny"

$50.00 Scratch Build Contest Entry, Tom Swift's '57 pusher jet.....Galaxie

$50.00 Scratch Build Contest - Fokker V25

$50.00 Scratch Build Contest Entry, Antonov An-2

$50.00 Contest Entry Albatross

mclarkson 09-01-2013 12:15 PM

Sure. Let's do it.

Don Sims 09-01-2013 01:14 PM

Sounds like a fun contest! Spread the word!!

BroncoSquid 09-01-2013 03:16 PM

IN!

Pending on that NAVY out to sea thing.:oops:

CHELLIE 09-01-2013 05:30 PM


Originally Posted by mclarkson (Post 921916)
Sure. Let's do it.


Originally Posted by Don Sims (Post 921920)
Sounds like a fun contest! Spread the word!!


Originally Posted by BroncoSquid (Post 921936)
IN!

Pending on that NAVY out to sea thing.:oops:

I think it will be a lot of Fun, and for $50.00 just for the airframe, covering & LG, I think that a lot of super nice birds could be built, $50.00 is not going to restrict a builder very much

gramps2361 09-01-2013 06:47 PM

Ya fifty dollars can buy a lot of foam or balsa cripes with the right build and electrics someone could build a plane for that less the RX.

Be following along no time myself to jump in but I do like to watch. WE have some great builders here!

quorneng 09-01-2013 09:14 PM

Now if it was $50 for the whole thing.........;)

Less the Tx I think I could get pretty close.

Actually the biggest risk would be completing it in 60 days as most of the bits would have to come from China and I have had some deliveries take nearly that long!

Nevertheless I shall watch with interest.

hayofstacks 09-01-2013 09:37 PM

I'm interested, as long as I can build out of coroplast.

dgjessing 09-02-2013 01:25 AM

I'm in, but 50 bucks without any of the electric stuff is way too much. I'll bet almost all of my planes to date have come in less than $50 complete (less transmitter).

CHELLIE 09-02-2013 03:16 AM


Originally Posted by hayofstacks (Post 921990)
I'm interested, as long as I can build out of coroplast.

That will be fine :ws:

CHELLIE 09-02-2013 03:28 AM


Originally Posted by quorneng (Post 921989)
Now if it was $50 for the whole thing.........;)

Less the Tx I think I could get pretty close.

Actually the biggest risk would be completing it in 60 days as most of the bits would have to come from China and I have had some deliveries take nearly that long!

Nevertheless I shall watch with interest.

Order your goodies right now :D I think there will be enough intrest in a contest, but i will wait a little longer to get more people involved, I may very well start this contest very soon, :)

crash_out 09-02-2013 03:44 AM

I'd take part, but I'm knee deep in the Model Airplane News build contest right now...

CHELLIE 09-02-2013 03:47 AM


Originally Posted by dgjessing (Post 922010)
I'm in, but 50 bucks without any of the electric stuff is way too much. I'll bet almost all of my planes to date have come in less than $50 complete (less transmitter).

:ws: I did not want to put to much restrictions on this contest, but yet have a cap, to make it fair to everyone, I think it will be fun :D Take care, Chellie

CHELLIE 09-02-2013 03:49 AM


Originally Posted by crash_out (Post 922027)
I'd take part, but I'm knee deep in the Model Airplane News build contest right now...

Cool :ws: Share some of your progress with us :ws:

crash_out 09-02-2013 04:00 AM

Will do when I get a chance. As of now I've mostly just got some pieces cut.

Bill G 09-02-2013 04:03 AM

How about a contest using 2 DD brushed motors with nothing but differential mixed throttle to control direction and altitude? :Q It's pretty much what the Cox Airlifter had, and it actually flew.

RepRapper 09-02-2013 07:29 AM

$50.00 Scratch Build Contest.
 
Sounds like my kind of contest! Count me in. I am thinking it might be a really good way to showcase some 3D printed parts for model airplanes. I wonder if I will be able to keep the weight down enough to where it will still fly good?

CHELLIE 09-02-2013 01:12 PM


Originally Posted by RepRapper (Post 922062)
Sounds like my kind of contest! Count me in. I am thinking it might be a really good way to showcase some 3D printed parts for model airplanes. I wonder if I will be able to keep the weight down enough to where it will still fly good?

That Sounds Neet :ws: good chance to find out :ws:

CHELLIE 09-02-2013 01:41 PM

I am Looking into getting a Scratch Builder Award Icon for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place, For the WF Members that enter and win The $50.00 Scratch Builders Contest, that will be nice to have, I Hope the Mods Approve it :D Take care, Chellie

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/imag...ldersmedal.gif

Ok, I got the Go Ahead for the Scratch Building Award Icon for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Place Winners.

quorneng 09-02-2013 04:23 PM

This might be a bit of a cheat but excluding the rx.

2805 motor......4.58
10A ESC .........5.50
7x4 prop ........0.63
prop adapter....0.74
servo lead ......0.91
delivery .........2.60
3x 3.7g servo..5.25 inc delivery
2mm Depron...2.99 collected from LMS
UHU POR........2.99...as above
U/C wire.........1.45...as above
Paint..............1.98 collected from local DIY store
______
Total 29.68
or $46.21

Plus a small bit of 0.8 mm sheet balsa, some salvaged clear plastic sheet from packaging, 3 paper clips and of course quite a number of hours!

Is there any bonus for how much under $50 the foam and U/C is?;)

CHELLIE 09-02-2013 04:31 PM


Originally Posted by quorneng (Post 922113)
This might be a bit of a cheat but excluding the rx.

2805 motor 4.58
10A ESC 5.50
7x4 prop 0.63
prop adapter 0.74
servo lead 0.91
delivery 2.60
3x 3.7g servo 5.25 inc delivery
2mm Depron 2.99 collected from LMS
UHU POR 2.99 "
U/C wire 1.45 "
Paint 1.98 collected from local DIY store
______
Total 29.68
or $46.21

Plus a small bit of 0.8 mm sheet balsa, some salvaged clear plastic sheet from packaging, 3 paper clips and of course quite a number of hours!

Hi :) The only thing you need to Itemize is the airframe building material, landing gear , cowl, canopy and any covering material that you bought, for the basic Airframe, you dont have to Itemize the power system, servos, wires, glue, motor, prop, all that is a given, you dont even have to include the shipping, all that you have to itemize and show from your list is the 2mm depron :ws: if you make parts from scrap plastic, like a windshield, cowl or canopy, it does not have to be itemized, you did not pay for it, its a given freebie :) I Did not want to be to restrictive so people can build a super nice plane but yet have a cap so its fair to other people,

tobydogs 09-02-2013 05:05 PM

great idea for pulling together wattflyers Chellie!!:D when does the process Begin officially:confused:.not sure I'd compete with the master builders here but will certainly watch. will the builders be showing there progress and techniques in scratch building winning birds? i hope so.

also ,can we use any thickness foam:confused: i see a lot of 2mm talk and wonder if the thick stuff is included.[popcorn][I'm guessing anything goes,as long as under 50 is achieved].

Tsavah 09-02-2013 06:53 PM

$50 Limit Contest for a Lipo
 
Cool idea. Reminds me of the contests by Experimentalair. His contests had restrictions of mostly fuselage design. The builder had to use the squared foam tube, or tubes to stuff the electronics into and an Armin wing design. Other than that there was a lot of freedom. His You tube video show all the construction methods and concepts using Dollar Tree store foam core poster board (Readi-board). He tends to leave the paper on for strength, but as any who work with the poster board will know, the paper likes to come off the first chance it gets. His reward was a box of colored packing tape from a specific store. Packing tape is the primary skin for the foam board, other than the paper it comes with.

This contest has more design and material freedom. It is something I would like to get into, but a recent robbery got off with my collection of RC equipment and parts. I don't have RC gear to use, or motor options like before. In short, I will have to start over after I come up with a secure storage structure. Don't have the extra coins at the moment, so it will be a while before I can get back into RC projects.

quorneng 09-02-2013 09:09 PM

Chellie
What I was trying to show is that you can build a complete RC plane for less than $50.
In the above case the foam is actually less than $5. Wheels and canopy included! ;)

The prices are taken from the internet this morning.

I did say it was a bit of a cheat as I have already built it! :D

1geo1 09-02-2013 10:57 PM

Hey crash, why not make second plane out of other stuff with those m.a.n. plans :)
Also when will it start, I could build a "sorta snipe" lol

CHELLIE 09-03-2013 01:47 AM


Originally Posted by tobydogs (Post 922115)
great idea for pulling together wattflyers Chellie!!:D when does the process Begin officially:confused:.not sure I'd compete with the master builders here but will certainly watch. will the builders be showing there progress and techniques in scratch building winning birds? i hope so.

also ,can we use any thickness foam:confused: i see a lot of 2mm talk and wonder if the thick stuff is included.[popcorn][I'm guessing anything goes,as long as under 50 is achieved].

Hi :ws: you can use any size Depron that you want :ws: yes the builder will make a building thread on their Project.


Originally Posted by Tsavah (Post 922131)
Cool idea. Reminds me of the contests by Experimentalair. His contests had restrictions of mostly fuselage design. The builder had to use the squared foam tube, or tubes to stuff the electronics into and an Armin wing design. Other than that there was a lot of freedom. His You tube video show all the construction methods and concepts using Dollar Tree store foam core poster board (Readi-board). He tends to leave the paper on for strength, but as any who work with the poster board will know, the paper likes to come off the first chance it gets. His reward was a box of colored packing tape from a specific store. Packing tape is the primary skin for the foam board, other than the paper it comes with.

This contest has more design and material freedom. It is something I would like to get into, but a recent robbery got off with my collection of RC equipment and parts. I don't have RC gear to use, or motor options like before. In short, I will have to start over after I come up with a secure storage structure. Don't have the extra coins at the moment, so it will be a while before I can get back into RC projects.

Bummer, Sorry to hear about that, hope you get back into rc soon, Take care, Chellie


Originally Posted by quorneng (Post 922146)
Chellie
What I was trying to show is that you can build a complete RC plane for less than $50.
In the above case the foam is actually less than $5. Wheels and canopy included! ;)

The prices are taken from the internet this morning.

I did say it was a bit of a cheat as I have already built it! :D

:D yes you can build a rc plane for about 50.00 total, But I wanted to give a lot of Freedom from Restrictions.


Originally Posted by 1geo1 (Post 922161)
Hey crash, why not make second plane out of other stuff with those m.a.n. plans :)
Also when will it start, I could build a "sorta snipe" lol

Hi :ws: it will start in about 2 to 3 weeks, I want to get as many people Involved as possible, get all of your building stuff together to get ready to build your snipe with :ws:

BroncoSquid 09-03-2013 02:47 AM

Would building off an old set of rolled plans be concidered cheating?:concern:
Everything would be hand cut n glued.

CHELLIE 09-03-2013 02:57 AM


Originally Posted by BroncoSquid (Post 922204)
Would building off an old set of rolled plans be concidered cheating?:concern:
Everything would be hand cut n glued.

That will be fine, as you are going to more than likely have to convert it to E Power, so it wont be 100% as per plans. Go For it :D

Just added to the Rules =

10. the use of plans and kits is ok as long as they are altered a little, convert from Glow to e power, bigger ailerons, add ailerons, add flaps, etc. I want to make this contest easy for the new builders, I dont care how you cut out your parts, laser, knife, etc.

pmullen503 09-03-2013 06:03 AM

Got a start date in mind?

CHELLIE 09-03-2013 06:55 AM


Originally Posted by pmullen503 (Post 922237)
Got a start date in mind?


Hi :ws: If I get enough people interested, I am Thinking about starting the contest on Sept 6 or Sooner :)

CHELLIE 09-04-2013 01:14 AM

Contestants
 
Looks like we have a few Contestants already, when 10 People are in, I will start the contest, Anybody can join in at any time too, i went over to RCG to steal some Builders from There :D :D :D LOL

Pilot Error

Abuelo Ladybug

hayofstacks

mclarkson Antonov An-2

dgjessing

tobydogs

BroncoSquid

pmullen503 - F7F Tigercat

CHELLIE - F-20 Tigershark

Wrench66

Bill Gibson

quorneng -Fokker V25

dahawk

Alpea42 Great White Polaris Bipe

Crashalott

Wrench66 09-04-2013 01:37 AM

Thanks Chell', this is gonna be fun :D
--Ray

CHELLIE 09-04-2013 01:40 AM


Originally Posted by Wrench66 (Post 922351)
Thanks Chell', this is gonna be fun :D
--Ray

Hi Ray :) I Know this is what you Live for :D :D :D Take care, Chellie

CHELLIE 09-04-2013 02:05 AM

Ok, It Looks like we Got 10 + Builders Now,

Soooooooooo Lets Start Now :D Official Start Date is Sept 6, But you got a couple of extra days to Order and get what you need, A Head Start never hurts :D :D :D

Don Sims 09-04-2013 02:57 AM

Wooohooo Chellie! If someone forgot their log in information, drop me an email or click on the "Contact Us" button at the bottom of the page.

CHELLIE 09-04-2013 03:16 AM


Originally Posted by Don Sims (Post 922370)
Wooohooo Chellie! If someone forgot their log in information, drop me an email or click on the "Contact Us" button at the bottom of the page.

:D Ok Will Do, they are Wattflyer members too, the ones I contacted, but they spend a lot of time at RCG ,Yea, You Guessed it, Its those Pesky, Redneck Chino Renegades, That I happen to be one of :D Take care and have fun, Chellie

pmullen503 09-04-2013 03:22 AM

OK, I'm in. 60 days will be pushing it for me but I'll give it a shot. I've got a F7F Tigercat on the drawing board that's almost ready to start.

CHELLIE 09-04-2013 03:23 AM


Originally Posted by pmullen503 (Post 922374)
OK, I'm in. 60 days will be pushing it for me but I'll give it a shot. I've got a F7F Tigercat on the drawing board that's almost ready to start.

Cool :) That should be a Very nice build :$

Bill Gibson 09-04-2013 03:25 AM

Welp , ive never built an E powered airplane before, so ive never entered a build contest either.....so what the heck........ill give it go!!!!

CHELLIE 09-04-2013 03:27 AM


Originally Posted by Bill Gibson (Post 922378)
Welp , ive never built an E powered airplane before, so ive never entered a build contest either.....so what the heck........ill give it go!!!!

Great :) Glad to Have you on Board Bill :D If you have any Questions, please feel free to contact me. In fact, if anyone has any Questions, Please contact me.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:47 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.07714 seconds with 7 queries