WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   HELP! Spektrum DX7 radio failure? (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22015)

cyclops2 11-25-2008 03:15 PM

Better to be lucky as Hell.

That person will always have no idea what life really is like.

BaldEagel 11-25-2008 03:19 PM

?

Mike

ministeve2003 11-25-2008 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by BaldEagel (Post 511090)
powered by a Pletenberg motor on 10S LiPo's all without incident or problems, incidently I have never flown with a 4 cell battery even before 2.4Ghz, in fact I don't understand why anyone would, faster responce and more power.

MIke

um... try fitting a 10cell pack in a plane thats smaller in size than the 10cell pack, and see how you make out....

SK

jasmine2501 11-25-2008 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by ministeve2003 (Post 511129)
um... try fitting a 10cell pack in a plane thats smaller in size than the 10cell pack, and see how you make out....

SK

Yeah I didn't really get that comment... you fly with whatever is appropriate for your plane. From one cell to 3, I've got planes that need that. A 2M Extra would need a bit more, but you know, there are smaller planes out there which seem to be much more popular than the $2000 giant electric with the $600 battery pack. Hmm... I wonder why...

caltrop 11-25-2008 07:41 PM

"It works for me..."

I get really tired of people saying "It works for me...". What jasmine2501 said somewhere on this forum, I belive in this thread, that what works for one person is not true for everybody. You do certain settings with the DX7 or are in certain situations and since it is out of the lab in the real world things could go wrong. Then there's the problem with production and cheap parts. Some of us were just lucky...::o

Oh well... I plan on getting the JR X9303 when I can afford it. A lot of guys have been getting this radio and LOVE-IT :D. It has a standard trim adjust for the throttle and a roller wheel to program with. The new DX6i has a roller wheel like the JR.

I suspect that the DX7 was a test-bed for the JR x9303 and 2.4GHz technology...;) Yes, a conspiracy theory :p>

ministeve2003 11-25-2008 07:51 PM

Just don't back out the tension screws too far on a 9303... aparrently it screws everything up...LOL

SK - Proud owner of 3 month old 9303 2.4ghz that has been sent back in to Horizon twice.... hope fedex showes up with it today...

Mike Freas 11-25-2008 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by caltrop (Post 511198)
I get really tired of people saying "It works for me...". What jasmine2501 said somewhere on this forum, I belive in this thread, that what works for one person is not true for everybody. You do certain settings with the DX7 or are in certain situations and since it is out of the lab in the real world things could go wrong. Then there's the problem with production and cheap parts. Some of us were just lucky...::o

Oh well... I plan on getting the JR X9303 when I can afford it. A lot of guys have been getting this radio and LOVE-IT :D. It has a standard trim adjust for the throttle and a roller wheel to program with. The new DX6i has a roller wheel like the JR.

I suspect that the DX7 was a test-bed for the JR x9303 and 2.4GHz technology...;) Yes, a conspiracy theory :p>

Well the 9303 works for me!:p> As do all of my 2.4 RX's running on CC ESC's or BEC's. Not one issue!:D Sorry...had to stir the pot.

Good to hear LT got his issue resolved but it's sad to still see "tin foil hat" 2.4 nay sayers.

groundrushesup 11-25-2008 08:16 PM

You know, I had a few lockout troubles over the summer, flying a plane with a 7 channel Rx, 7 digital servos (one to move the pilots head and one for an arresting hook, sweet!) on a Mystery 18A ESC and a 3S Zippy LiPo, but I have since found that if I put a piece of foil on the end of the DX7 antenna stuck with a little wad of chewing gum, it works just great! No lockouts!

And I use the rest of the foil for a helmet. :p>

Figure.N9ne 11-25-2008 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by ministeve2003 (Post 511129)

SK

he's talking about a 10s lipo powered plane and then he changed to talking about a 4 cell nihm/nicd receiver pack

ministeve2003 11-25-2008 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by groundrushesup (Post 511210)
You know, I had a few lockout troubles over the summer, flying a plane with a 7 channel Rx, 7 digital servos (one to move the pilots head and one for an arresting hook, sweet!) on a Mystery 18A ESC and a 3S Zippy LiPo, but I have since found that if I put a piece of foil on the end of the DX7 antenna stuck with a little wad of chewing gum, it works just great! No lockouts!

And I use the rest of the foil for a helmet. :p>

even my cat wears a foil hat...LOL

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/tin_foil.jpg

groundrushesup 11-25-2008 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by ministeve2003 (Post 511230)
even my cat wears a foil hat...LOL

That's one smart cat. I think NASA is hiring.

Seriously I laughed so loud that a few of my coworkers popped their heads out of their cubicles like nervous corporate prairie dogs :Q

Lieutenant Loughead 11-25-2008 09:32 PM

Yeah, I laughed out loud too -- at the picture of the cat wearing the tin-foil hat.

I'm not going to get all up in arms about Mike Freas' comment. I'm certainly NOT a 2.4 naysayer. As I said previously (several times) in this thread, it's quite possible that I simply got a lemon (Six Sigma says you can have 3 bad units out of 1,000,000 -- and I think I got one of those three bad units).

My point is simply that the new Spektrum DX7 is solid as a rock -- and that my previous "radio lockouts" were not due to pilot error, poor electronics, or poor engineering of a power system (like too many servos causing a "brownout", and causing the receiver to shut down).

The entire reason I elected to test the ME-109 and P-51 was that those two airplanes experienced radio lockouts on my first DX7 -- and NONE on my second DX7 -- nothing else changed! (I couldn't test either of the two P-38's, because both crashed hard, and were total losses.)

Oh -- and I'm still flying on the original v1.2 AR6100 receivers. :cool: I never did upgrade those receivers, because I wanted to make sure everything else was the same -- only the transmitter changed.

For what it's worth, since January 22, 2008, I've flown 503 times (including ALL aircraft), with the new DX7 -- and have not experienced a single "radio lockout". :cool:

Mike Freas 11-25-2008 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Lieutenant Loughead (Post 511247)
Yeah, I laughed out loud too -- at the picture of the cat wearing the tin-foil hat.

I'm not going to get all up in arms about Mike Freas' comment. I'm certainly NOT a 2.4 naysayer. As I said previously (several times) in this thread, it's quite possible that I simply got a lemon (Six Sigma says you can have 3 bad units out of 1,000,000 -- and I think I got one of those three bad units).

My point is simply that the new Spektrum DX7 is solid as a rock -- and that my previous "radio lockouts" were not due to pilot error, poor electronics, or poor engineering of a power system (like too many servos causing a "brownout", and causing the receiver to shut down).

The entire reason I elected to test the ME-109 and P-51 was that those two airplanes experienced radio lockouts on my first DX7 -- and NONE on my second DX7 -- nothing else changed! (I couldn't test either of the two P-38's, because both crashed hard, and were total losses.)

Oh -- and I'm still flying on the original v1.2 AR6100 receivers. :cool: I never did upgrade those receivers, because I wanted to make sure everything else was the same -- only the transmitter changed.

For what it's worth, since January 22, 2008, I've flown 503 times (including ALL aircraft), with the new DX7 -- and have not experienced a single "radio lockout". :cool:

I hope everyone realizes the post was in fun and not at all serious.

LT, I have followed this thread from the start and feel for all the pain you went through with Horizon and all the crashed AC. I'm glad you got things worked out.

Everyone has their opinion about what gear they like or don't. The reason I made the "tin foil hat" comment was for the folks who still say "I'm not going with any 2.4 system until it's proven". That, by far, is the biggest reason I hear from people still flying 72 mhz. Again, nothing wrong with 72 mhz. If you want a system completely immune to interference you'll have to go back to control line.

Oh, that picture is funny as hell!

ministeve2003 11-25-2008 10:53 PM

Don't worry, For extra security, you can wear tin foil underwear...LOL

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/206/4...f34c3a.jpg?v=0

cyclops2 11-25-2008 11:35 PM

I thought they were yours Mini Steve.

:)

jasmine2501 11-25-2008 11:40 PM

Everything is subject to environmental conditions. Of the two radios I've used extensively, the DX7 is clearly better - but it's not bullet-proof. One day I saw three planes go down including mine, due to some kind of problem with Spektrum stuff. I have had two lock-outs on other occasions as well. Granted, I'm using AR6100s only... but nothing is perfect.

Also, what's good for some people is not always good for everyone - I hate the roller wheel on the DX6i.

Little Black Duck 11-26-2008 01:04 AM

G'day Jasmine .... :ws:

Originally Posted by jasmine2501 (Post 511322)
Also, what's good for some people is not always good for everyone - I hate the roller wheel on the DX6i.

I could not agree with you more, with the 'what's good for some people ... etc.' ... but personally, I really like the roller, rather than the rocker buttons on the DX7.
Just a personal preference.
That's as long as anyone using the roller on the DX6i - (or the DSX9 too, which uses the same roller system) - realises that the push button actuator underneath it, is at the top of the roller, and the roller only needs to be pushed gently at the top to access the function required after scrolling to it. That's because the roller has a spring-loaded hinge, pivoted at the bottom, and pressing it too hard in the centre of the roller can damage both the hinge and/or its spring loading. :<:
However, after having used a, now retired and onsold, JR X378, which has a very similar Tx control layout to the DX7, I can verify that they both work very well.
But I don't hate either of their programming systems - rockers or rollers. .... ;)

Regards from Oz

David.

Lieutenant Loughead 11-27-2008 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by jasmine2501 (Post 511322)

I agree, Jasmine. I hate that roller wheel... It's not intuitive at all, and it seems like it would allow all kinds of junk (dirt, water, gum, beetles, etcetera) to get down in there and muck up the system.

I very much prefer the DX7 method of programming and navigating menus.

Oh -- and MiniSteve -- I thought you told me you weren't going to share pictures of that underwear I gave you... :o :( :confused:

ministeve2003 11-27-2008 04:23 AM

I think you guys might actually hate the menu system for the dx6i, and not the roller... I personally love the roller on my jr 9303, its much faster, and easyier to setup a plane/heli, but... I would much prefer the button system on the 6i.... the 6i's menu system just sucks...

one other gripe I have with the 6i, is that you cant input 125-150 percent under dual rates/expo menu.... I hate that... instead you have to go to travel adjustments and edit it there, then setup max throws there....

SK

Alpea42 11-27-2008 05:09 AM

I thought the DX6I only goes to 125% travel.

Claudius 01-16-2009 06:37 AM

Issues with DX7

I had several crashes +- 7 that I remember. All of them the receiver lost the link with my radio and cut off the power for the motor and servos.
I already tried 3 different receivers AR7000 and AR6100, 2 different ESC's 18amps and 25 amps, 2 different lipo batteries (3cell 11.7V 1320 mAmps and 1100 mAmps).
The last time I was flying for about 40 seconds and 150ft when It happened again and totaled my new airplane (GWS Formosa, brushless 1200Kv, AR6100, 3C 11.7V 1320mAmps Thunder power, 25A Castle ESC)

After that and one year trying to resolve this issue resizing the power system......I'd decided to send my radio and receivers to Spektrum for testing and repair. I didn't receive yet but I am afraid to fail again.........To be honest... I am about to sell on ebay and buy a FM (LOL)

I hope you resolved the issued that you had.

dumpsterjay 01-16-2009 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Claudius (Post 545524)
I had several crashes +- 7 that I remember. All of them the receiver lost the link with my radio and cut off the power for the motor and servos.
I already tried 3 different receivers AR7000 and AR6100, 2 different ESC's 18amps and 25 amps, 2 different lipo batteries (3cell 11.7V 1320 mAmps and 1100 mAmps).
The last time I was flying for about 40 seconds and 150ft when It happened again and totaled my new airplane (GWS Formosa, brushless 1200Kv, AR6100, 3C 11.7V 1320mAmps Thunder power, 25A Castle ESC)

After that and one year trying to resolve this issue resizing the power system......I'd decided to send my radio and receivers to Spektrum for testing and repair. I didn't receive yet but I am afraid to fail again.........To be honest... I am about to sell on ebay and buy a FM (LOL)

I hope you resolved the issued that you had.

Claudius, Sorry to hear about all of you trouble with the DX 7. It's a real downer :sad: when you loose several planes due to equipment failure.

Please post and let us know what Spektrum found that was wrong with your radio equipment.

Jim.

compflight 01-16-2009 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Claudius (Post 545524)

Surely it would only cut the power to the motor. If the power was cut to the servos, and presumably you are saying the receiver, then the radio link would not have been to blame.????

Figure.N9ne 01-16-2009 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by compflight (Post 545554)
Surely it would only cut the power to the motor. If the power was cut to the servos, and presumably you are saying the receiver, then the radio link would not have been to blame.????

when the radio loses its link to the receiver, you lose control of everything since the 2 components are no longer communicating.

caltrop 01-16-2009 03:04 PM

Third Time

I'm on my third mini Ultra Stick and have switched it to 72MHz. I still don't trust Spektrum with expensive balsa planes. I only fly my foamies and heli's with the Spektrum now.

I have also sent the Spektrum system back two or three times to Horizon and it finally appears to work without glitching. There were a few DX7 transmitters that had issues as well in the early days of Spektrum.