WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   ParkFlyers (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   spitfire (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23237)

spitfire 08-14-2007 07:31 PM

spitfire

Hello, I am starting a spitfire project, and I want to know if this is the place to show the progress on it??

max2112 08-14-2007 08:01 PM

Welcome!

Spitfire,
First, Welcome to WattFlyer!! It's always good to see new folks.

Secondly, things are pretty relaxed around here. So if your Spitfire is a parkflyer (smaller wingspan, not really fast, doesn't require a lot of room, etc) then sure this is the right place.
But if you are really into the details and are building a scale plane, then maybe the WarBirds forum might be best.
If you are just starting out, there is a lot of help in Beginners
Or if it's constructed from foam..... well you get the idea!

You might get more views in the Beginners or here in the ParkFlyers section, but for the most part, it's all good!

Hope this helps.
John

Frank Voikel 08-15-2007 12:53 AM

Pretty much exactly right. Lots of helpful folks here on WF!

Biplane Murphy 08-15-2007 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire (Post 248765)
Hello, I am starting a spitfire project, and I want to know if this is the place to show the progress on it??

Hi Spitfire...That plane is one of my favorites!!!! I even named one of my bird dogs Spitfire!!:) I look forward to watching your build.

And of course welcome to Wattflyer!!

Wolfsbane 08-15-2007 01:01 AM

Absolute best place to be! :)

spitfire 08-15-2007 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by max2112 (Post 248782)
Spitfire,
First, Welcome to WattFlyer!! It's always good to see new folks.

Secondly, things are pretty relaxed around here. So if your Spitfire is a parkflyer (smaller wingspan, not really fast, doesn't require a lot of room, etc) then sure this is the right place.
But if you are really into the details and are building a scale plane, then maybe the WarBirds forum might be best.
If you are just starting out, there is a lot of help in Beginners
Or if it's constructed from foam..... well you get the idea!

You might get more views in the Beginners or here in the ParkFlyers section, but for the most part, it's all good!

Hope this helps.
John

well it has a 30" wingspan, yes it's a park flyer, yes i am planing on building it as scale as possible and it has a 400 watt motor. so is this the place to be

Biplane Murphy 08-15-2007 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire (Post 249288)
well it has a 30" wingspan, and yes i am planing on building it as scale as possible and it has a 400 watt motor. so is this the place to be

Sounds like a parkflyer with a lot of detail and massive power (I like it)......This is as good a place as any...
If the powers that be disagree they'll just move your thread over to another department....no big deal...post away....Give us lot's of photos...we like photos.:)

Grasshopper 08-15-2007 05:10 AM

Cool Spitfire. I always love to see a nice warbird. Do post pictures please.

spitfire 08-15-2007 07:41 PM

Ok:tc: well i haven't built anything, YET. but mom said that we can go and get some balsa (and glue) so i can build it:tc:

and i don't have any good pictures, because all i have is plans

spitfire 08-15-2007 10:11 PM

should i use brushless motor are standard???

what difference does it make?:roll:

Tinman 08-15-2007 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire (Post 250004)
should i use brushless motor are standard???

what difference does it make?:roll:

I would go brushless! I built a GWS Spitfire and it came out pretty well. I put one of those Tower Pro brushless motors in it , I think it was only 12 dollars.

Brushless motors don't have any brushes to wear on them, they use magnets. They are much better performing and never wear out. They are a great choice.

spitfire 08-15-2007 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Tinman (Post 250021)
I would go brushless! I built a GWS Spitfire and it came out pretty well. I put one of those Tower Pro brushless motors in it , I think it was only 12 dollars.

Brushless motors don't have any brushes to wear on them, they use magnets. They are much better performing and never wear out. They are a great choice.

$12 and it never wears out:eek: I'll go for that!!!!!!!

oh and i am going to put retracts on it:) any suggestions

Tinman 08-15-2007 10:50 PM

Sorry can't help you on the retracts. Never did them. But here is a link to the motor I bought. here. Shipping is only 2 bucks.

Most people just leave the gear off of the warbirds and belly land them.. Thats what I did.

Grasshopper 08-15-2007 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire (Post 250059)
$12 and it never wears out:eek: I'll go for that!!!!!!!

oh and i am going to put retracts on it:) any suggestions

Look at post #12 in this thread.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22627

Biplane Murphy 08-16-2007 01:23 AM

Go Brushless....Buy an Electronic speed control that is higher rated than the motor needs....Use Li-Po batteries....You'll be way happier in the long run!!

spitfire 08-16-2007 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Biplane Murphy (Post 250233)
Go Brushless....Buy an Electronic speed control that is higher rated than the motor needs....Use Li-Po batteries....You'll be way happier in the long run!!

thanks biplane murphy, now i just got to go get some balsa (and glue):Q

i will post then!

Biplane Murphy 08-16-2007 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire (Post 250758)
thanks biplane murphy, now i just got to go get some balsa (and glue):Q

i will post then!

Yep I forgot that......You'll need some balsa and glue....:<....:Q

Leo L 08-16-2007 06:52 PM

Hi Spitfire,

Just curious - what is your flying experience?

spitfire 08-16-2007 07:54 PM

well i flew a great planes tutor for awhile then i crashed (folded the wings, not my fault that this trainer cant do aerobatics) now i fly a grow something mom bought dad 20 years ago and now i want to build a spitfire, so this will be my third airplane:tc:

so i am about intermediate!

spitfire 08-16-2007 08:59 PM

oooooooooooH i think i am IN LOVE!!!!!:$ and i think i found my transmitter! yea:Q here is the link!

Tinman 08-16-2007 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire (Post 250886)
oooooooooooH i think i am IN LOVE!!!!!:$ and i think i found my transmitter! yea:Q here is the link!

Wow I've never seen a radio like thatt... single stick? Is it old?

Grasshopper 08-16-2007 09:55 PM

Says it was for helicopters

Tinman 08-16-2007 09:56 PM

Air beaters? I need to get a TREX do you have one I can get off of ya Tom?

spitfire 08-16-2007 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Tinman (Post 250921)
Wow I've never seen a radio like thatt... single stick? Is it old?

well, if it was an am i would guess so but sense it is fm it is a little bit newer but it it is a little older then most transmitters because they stopped making signal stick transmitters with more than 3 channels years ago:{
but you can still get then used for a good price:ws:

spitfire 08-16-2007 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Grasshopper (Post 250928)
Says it was for helicopters

yes but people use them for airplanes