WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   3D Flying (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What is 3D Flying? (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76640)

trying2fly 10-31-2015 04:02 AM

What is 3D Flying?
 
I keep reading about this 3D flying and want to know if it is flying in a gym or indoors?

dahawk 10-31-2015 04:21 AM

3D flying is a style of flying. In some cases, the airplane doesn't even fly. It can hover by hanging on the prop. In other words, there is no air moving over the surfaces creating lift and the airplane stops flying. Some of the maneuvers in 3D flying are just not humanly possible in full scale aerobatic planes. The G loads can get very high.

Takes a lot of practice to get good at it.

Just go to youtube and search 3DRC Or type in Joe Smith or Andrew Jesky. You'll see what it's all about very quickly.

Hawk

fhhuber 10-31-2015 04:45 AM

Generally refers to doing extreme aerobatics involving flying at or near stall and hanging on the prop.

there are some maneuvers in "3D" that require flying at speed to enter them.

Most of these are impossible for full scale aircraft due to light wing loading and high power to weight requirements and/or the G forces involved being beyond what a full scale pilot could survive.

Panther 10-31-2015 11:27 AM

3D flying is where the runway is blocked off by someone hovering a plane and standing on the runway beside it stopping anybody else from flying.

(oops, here goes)

dereckbc 10-31-2015 04:24 PM

Post stall maneuvers is the text book answer like hovering aka hanging on the prop.

The planes are quite different with extremely large control surfaces and over sized engine/motor where thrust exceed 1:1 ratio. Thrust ratio on my PA Addiction X is 2.6:1

The planes need no runway to fly as they can take off and land like a helicopter. To take off you hold the plane pointing straight up, go full power and off you go straight up like a rocket would take off. To land hover a few feet above the ground in front of you and just snatch it from the air, but very dangerous to do so.

Takes a very skilled pilot with Magic Thumbs and a 3D Plane.

trying2fly 10-31-2015 04:29 PM

Hello AUSTRALIANS!!
 

Originally Posted by Panther (Post 982603)
3D flying is where the runway is blocked off by someone hovering a plane and standing on the runway beside it stopping anybody else from flying.

(oops, here goes)

I have been wanting to communicate with you Australian flyers to see the type of planes and conditions you guys fly under. Out here in West Texas..far West Texas.. the winds are quite challenging. I am enjoying immensely the Hawk Sky . With chopped(and re-installable) wing tips an a 2200KVP MicroJet motor it will keep you on your toes!

fhhuber 10-31-2015 04:47 PM

Half of flying in wind is your attitude...

Australia is not the only place that has wind.
I used to fly at a site where we LIKED windy days. Slope soaring depends on wind to "power" the aircraft.

Generally wind will be less near dawn or dusk. Use those windows for flying planes that can't handle much wind.
To successfully fly in higher winds you really should have a higher performance airplane.

If the wind is higher speed than the minimum flying speed of your plane you will have issues. Its still possible but requires more experience.

pizzano 10-31-2015 05:03 PM

I have been wanting to communicate with you Australian flyers


Try these guys........:

http://www.rcdownunder.com/forum/

http://amas.org.au/

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...DKVEk&hl=en_US

http://www.maaa.asn.au/

Wind blows everywhere..........and the Hawk Sky is owned by hundreds who fly them in strong wind.........even here in sunny California.......:rolleyes:

trying2fly 10-31-2015 06:00 PM


Originally Posted by pizzano (Post 982617)
I have been wanting to communicate with you Australian flyers


Try these guys........:

http://www.rcdownunder.com/forum/

http://amas.org.au/

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...DKVEk&hl=en_US

http://www.maaa.asn.au/

Wind blows everywhere..........and the Hawk Sky is owned by hundreds who fly them in strong wind.........even here in sunny California.......:rolleyes:

Thanx and you guys out there wrote the books on flying in crazy weather!!:oops:

pizzano 10-31-2015 06:39 PM

Can find any environmental condition you like here........bluff soaring is very popular along the coasts of southern CA.

Not for the timid....having the proper craft helps a lot.........:

http://www.fatlion.com/bash/index.html

http://www.skykingrcproducts.com/rcp..._1-26_HLG.html

http://www.towerhobbies.com/products...pma0960_n.html

http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...0Sailplanes_01

http://www.icare-rc.com/the_bizz.htm

http://www.icare-rc.com/nemesis.htm

The list goes on and on...............I have a very good friend who tried to get me interested in this arena after he found out I was into RC heli's several years ago........I looked into it since we have many mainland bluffs along the foothills where I live. Not my cup of tea............it's a skill set that takes lot's of time and patients to master (with the proper craft)........heli's where enough of a challenge at that time.......due to that & since then, the skills I have adopted are better suited for closer distance, powered sport and vertical climbers.........;)

trying2fly 10-31-2015 06:58 PM


Originally Posted by pizzano (Post 982623)
Can find any environmental condition you like here........bluff soaring is very popular along the coasts of southern CA.

Not for the timid....having the proper craft helps a lot.........:

http://www.fatlion.com/bash/index.html

http://www.skykingrcproducts.com/rcp..._1-26_HLG.html

http://www.towerhobbies.com/products...pma0960_n.html

http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...0Sailplanes_01

http://www.icare-rc.com/the_bizz.htm

http://www.icare-rc.com/nemesis.htm

The list goes on and on...............I have a very good friend who tried to get me interested in this arena after he found out I was into RC heli's several years ago........I looked into it since we have many mainland bluffs along the foothills where I live. Not my cup of tea............it's a skill set that takes lot's of time and patients to master (with the proper craft)........heli's where enough of a challenge at that time.......due to that & since then, the skills I have adopted are better suited for closer distance, powered sport and vertical climbers.........;)

Not to mention the photo capability of the crafts that you fly. Do you believe shortly that the Feds will move in and makes us wind up on sanctioned flying areas..many are very inconvenient?:(:(:(:(:(

pizzano 10-31-2015 07:08 PM

"sanctioned flying areas"...............

The AMA and FAA would love to see that happen and are lobbying for that aspect to grow.........along with craft size/weight/capacity and payload requirements restricted and locally registered............It's coming, like it or not........or move out into the middle of nowhere and fly to your hearts desire.........;)

trying2fly 10-31-2015 07:16 PM


Originally Posted by pizzano (Post 982626)
"sanctioned flying areas"...............

The AMA and FAA would love to see that happen and are lobbying for that aspect to grow.........along with craft size/weight/capacity and payload requirements restricted and locally registered............It's coming, like it or not........or move out into the middle of nowhere and fly to your hearts desire.........;)

I certainly feel for the direction our hobby in going. I live in far far West Texas where nearest neighbor is 6 miles. As you said, I am flying to my heart's desire but my sincerest sympathy lies with fellow hobbist that just want to have fun . I plan to be as proactive in combating this move as possible so that everyone can have the opportunity I have!!:<::<::<:

pizzano 10-31-2015 07:25 PM


Originally Posted by trying2fly (Post 982627)
I certainly feel for the direction our hobby in going. I live in far far West Texas where nearest neighbor is 6 miles. As you said, I am flying to my heart's desire but my sincerest sympathy lies with fellow hobbist that just want to have fun . I plan to be as proactive in combating this move as possible so that everyone can have the opportunity I have!!:<::<::<:

You're one of the "lucky" ones.............that's only part of the reason I live where I do......even though it's considered urban, I can drive 5 min to several locations outside of harms way and snoopers.........and get my 60min fix........;)

trying2fly 10-31-2015 07:46 PM


Originally Posted by pizzano (Post 982629)
You're one of the "lucky" ones.............that's only part of the reason I live where I do......even though it's considered urban, I can drive 5 min to several locations outside of harms way and snoopers.........and get my 60min fix........;)

I lived in Houston for 21 yrs....now I have to drive 45 min to get groceries! I can walk out of my den and see 10 miles into the mtns and fly as far as I can see, go back inside and have coffee...I do it 2-3 times a day . I know what the Feds can and will do and I am very vocal in my opposition. There are community leaders adamant in their stance on making us all go to a little secluded football field under the threat that if we don't we will not be covered by AMA insurance.:censor:

Xpress.. 11-02-2015 05:22 PM

Here is a very good video from one of the masters of 3D flight. It'll give you an idea of what 3D flying is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJOffAcGGls

There is also different types of 3D flying as well. The old school traditional 'flying on the prop' style and the new high energy 3DXA. This is a video of 3DXA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXZyaulTHTU

3DXA relies more on flying on the wing and keeping forward momentum- high energy. The traditional 3D flying and the new 3DXA really are polar opposites of each other as far as "3D Flying" goes. On one hand, you have guys that try to fly an airplane as low and slow as they can, sometimes dragging control surfaces on the ground, and on the other hand you have guys that try to make an airplane bend the wings, roll faster than anything else out there, and burn up as much fuel as fast as they can.

Airplane designs also vary all across the spectrum as well. You have companies like Pilot RC or Carden which are old school style 3D airplanes, light strong and floaty, and then you have other companies like Extreme Flight or 3D Hobby Shop which make extremely strong, super durable high energy style 3D airplanes that don't float as well. So when you decide on a 3D airplane you have to take a look at what you're looking for when it comes to a flight envelope and how you want the airplane to perform.

trying2fly 11-02-2015 06:44 PM


Originally Posted by Xpress.. (Post 982769)
Here is a very good video from one of the masters of 3D flight. It'll give you an idea of what 3D flying is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJOffAcGGls

There is also different types of 3D flying as well. The old school traditional 'flying on the prop' style and the new high energy 3DXA. This is a video of 3DXA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXZyaulTHTU

3DXA relies more on flying on the wing and keeping forward momentum- high energy. The traditional 3D flying and the new 3DXA really are polar opposites of each other as far as "3D Flying" goes. On one hand, you have guys that try to fly an airplane as low and slow as they can, sometimes dragging control surfaces on the ground, and on the other hand you have guys that try to make an airplane bend the wings, roll faster than anything else out there, and burn up as much fuel as fast as they can.

Airplane designs also vary all across the spectrum as well. You have companies like Pilot RC or Carden which are old school style 3D airplanes, light strong and floaty, and then you have other companies like Extreme Flight or 3D Hobby Shop which make extremely strong, super durable high energy style 3D airplanes that don't float as well. So when you decide on a 3D airplane you have to take a look at what you're looking for when it comes to a flight envelope and how you want the airplane to perform.

Thank you so much..your explanation was perfect. You are a top communicator....to the point..full of knowledge ...and highly informative. Now to figure out which way to go!!

fhhuber 11-02-2015 07:56 PM

Note:

A lot of the "3D" stuff looks like how I flew when I was learning to fly the airplane...
That is the main reason I don't find it entertaining. It just looks like a long series of errors to me.

Bub Steve 11-02-2015 09:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by fhhuber (Post 982782)
Note:

A lot of the "3D" stuff looks like how I flew when I was learning to fly the airplane...
That is the main reason I don't find it entertaining. It just looks like a long series of errors to me.

To Me it is a long series of errors :D, I've hucked around a lot though the years but My 10 year old Super-Cub is still the only plane I'd have if I could only have one,,,,,:$
Bubsteve

road king 97 11-03-2015 05:34 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=220&v=N4bEGC5t8pE joe

solentlife 11-04-2015 02:18 AM

I consider myself a traditional model flyer. Having done Shows / Displays / Team flying etc. in years gone by.

About 2 year ago - I actually changed my mind about my dislike of 3D flying. I basically regarded it as an offshoot and not really for me. Then I got hold of a 3D machine (sadly not as capable as it should have been due to previous owners poor set-up) .. and I was on that slippery path.

Its a skill set that is pushing my limits again. I still enjoy my 'traditional' flying.

3D is not as easy as it appears .. that's my opinion ... as I am still getting to terms with it.

A comment was made earlier about Slope Soaring (term used was Bluff soaring) ............. now that was where I really learnt to model fly. Nose down, forward speed ... etc. etc. I miss SS now as Latvia has no real slope sites being a near flat landscape. Sloping teaches flying and how to maintain flight ... without that 'fan' on the front dragging you round.
But it's much easier than 3D work ... my opinion anyway.
Sloping teaches so much about model flying ... its worth people having a go ..

Nigel

jofro 10-02-2017 09:37 AM

Quote-I keep reading about this 3D flying and want to know if it is flying in a gym or indoors?

You can do it anywhere! I prefer the beach!
https://youtu.be/mqZrW35JGZ0
https://youtu.be/hwSXuo7C-OE

Xpress.. 10-05-2017 10:40 PM

3D flying relies on engine thrust and skill to make the airplane dance on the runway as slow as you can. It is not a type of flying location, it can be done with small indoor airplanes all the way up to full scale.

Stick Dude 10-21-2018 04:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
3-d flyin' is purty exciting, I saw some cool clips on the tube. I wonder what the future brings, 4-d flying me thinks....


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:19 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.06666 seconds with 7 queries