WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Your Suggestions For The Next Build Contest (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73479)

pmullen503 04-07-2014 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahawk (Post 944768)
Me thinks working from existing plans should be acceptable. Just pick a theme to abide by such as twin, bipe, f3a, warbird, etc. I agree that kits or arfs would not be acceptable. As in: just add motor/esc/servos. True scratch, from an idea to paper to cutting foam or balsa, to assy, to air might narrow the playing field too much.

Added my 2 cents / 1 pence.

I agree with the last statement. The number of folks that can go from a photo or 3 view to a finished model is small, especially in a relatively short time. Plans would increase to number of participants.

(I vote for multi motor so I can do my Gotha 244.)

solentlife 04-07-2014 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahawk (Post 944768)
Me thinks working from existing plans should be acceptable. Just pick a theme to abide by such as twin, bipe, f3a, warbird, etc. I agree that kits or arfs would not be acceptable. As in: just add motor/esc/servos. True scratch, from an idea to paper to cutting foam or balsa, to assy, to air might narrow the playing field too much.

Added my 2 cents / 1 pence.

I agree with this ... an existing plan is fine ... the point as I see it is the build.

My previous post was to illustrate the difference and to show why I am against Kits in a contest.

Nigel

dahawk 04-07-2014 07:09 PM

Great. Whew ! Had me wondering. I've got beginner level A-cad skills but Geoffrey DeHavilland , Jack Northrup or Kelly Johnson I'm not. Plans okay but pre-cut kits are not. Gotcha.

BroncoSquid 04-07-2014 09:10 PM

+4 on Accepting plans. Heck, a 3 view to buildable plans would take 3 of the 4 months.:D

CHELLIE 04-07-2014 10:50 PM

Ok, No Kits, Got it :D The reason I had suggested kits in the past is to get more people involved that would not normally enter a Scratch Build contest. The Word Scratch Build, tends to scare a lot of Folks from entering a Build Contest, Plans are good, they will help the New scratch builder to be successful, Keep the Ideas Flowing Folks :D Take care and have fun, Chellie

CHELLIE 04-07-2014 11:11 PM

multi motor plane
 
Hi Everyone :ws: I just wanted to Say that a Multi motor Aircraft does not have to be expensive, HK has some $6.00 motors that work very very well, they are a 1800KV micro motor that will turn a 7x6 APC prop on a 3 cell lipo, dont worry about the amp draw on these motors as they have Thick windings, i use them at 20+ amps 200 +Watts all day long and they love it, If your interested, here is the HK Link, and below are some Multi motor Planes that barry built using this 1800KV Micro motor, once you have used this motor, you will not be able to stop using it :ws: its such a fun little motor that thinks its a big motor.:D use at least a 25 amp ESC with it.

The little motor that thinks its a big motor :D only 3 mods need to be done to it, epoxy the 3 motor wires to the windings so they dont vibrate and break off, epoxy the motor to the motor mount so it does not twist.turn and pull and break the motor wires, cut the long motor shaft down so that a prop collet will push on the shaft and stop at the bell, that helps to heep the motor shaft from bending, Ok Now you have a Bullet proof $6.00 motor after those mods :)

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...talog/5430.jpg

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...cro_Motor.html

Barrys 4 Motor Landcaster using the $6.00 1800kv micro motors.

http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/atta...1&d=1363197718
and a 2 motor Wellington using the $6.00 1800 kv Mirco motors.

http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/atta...7&d=1310560568

http://vimeo.com/22757213

CHELLIE 04-07-2014 11:22 PM

here is Kosh with that 1800kv Micro motor on his plane with a 3 cell and a 7x6 apc prop. as you can see, its has Goobs of power for a Cheapy $6.00 Micro motor :D


kenchiroalpha 04-07-2014 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHELLIE (Post 944801)
Hi Everyone :ws: I just wanted to Say that a Multi motor Aircraft does not have to be expensive, HK has some $6.00 motors that work very very well, they are a 1800KV micro motor that will turn a 7x6 APC prop, dont worry about the amp draw on these motors as they have Thick windings, i use them at 20+ amps 200 +Watts all day long and they love it, If your interested, here is the HK Link, and below are some Multi motor Planes that barry built using this 1800KV Micro motor, once you have used this motor, you will not be able to stop using it :ws: its such a fun little motor that thinks its a big motor.:D use at least a 25 amp ESC with it.

The little motor that thinks its a big motor :D only 3 mods need to be done to it, epoxy the 3 motor wires to the windings so they dont vibrate and break off, epoxy the motor to the motor mount so it does not twist.turn and pull and break the motor wires, cut the long motor shaft down so that a prop collet will push on the shaft and stop at the bell, that helps to heep the motor shaft from bending, Ok Now you have a Bullet proof $6.00 motor after those mods :)

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...talog/5430.jpg

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...cro_Motor.html

Barrys 4 Motor Landcaster using the $6.00 1800kv micro motors.

http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/atta...1&d=1363197718
and a 2 motor Wellington using the $6.00 1800 kv Mirco motors.

http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/atta...7&d=1310560568


Hi Chellie
I agree, heres a ultra micro twin of mine that uses 6mm coreless pager motors and she flys wonderfully
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/atta...2&d=1279594909
Video
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bPEkedEtWNA
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank

CHELLIE 04-07-2014 11:34 PM

Hi Hank :) I am Unable to view Your You Tube Video, it says its a private video even though I am Signed on to You Tube, something is messing up, and i dont think its me this Time :D :D :D LOL

BroncoSquid 04-07-2014 11:39 PM

When you say Twin or Multi, my mind goes HERE!
http://www.dumasproducts.com/images/312-3.jpg
I know, no kits but I am going to do one of these one day.

Why not make the motor the factor in the build? just make sure they are USA wharehouse and available.

Finally, Lets do this thing!!!:eek:

kenchiroalpha 04-07-2014 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHELLIE (Post 944806)
Hi Hank :) I am Unable to view Your You Tube Video, it says its a private video even though I am Signed on to You Tube, something is messing up, and i dont think its me this Time :D :D :D LOL

Hi Chellie
Hmm dont know why none of my video uploads are private
Can you view this one?
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zBgJ4RZEtDk
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank

CHELLIE 04-08-2014 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenchiroalpha (Post 944809)
Hi Chellie
Hmm dont know why none of my video uploads are private
Can you view this one?
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zBgJ4RZEtDk
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank

Hi Hank :) Not able to view that Video too, it says its a private Video, even after logging in to You tube. you may need to change some of your settings on You tube.

CHELLIE 04-08-2014 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncoSquid (Post 944808)
When you say Twin or Multi, my mind goes HERE!
http://www.dumasproducts.com/images/312-3.jpg
I know, no kits but I am going to do one of these one day.

Why not make the motor the factor in the build? just make sure they are USA wharehouse and available.

Finally, Lets do this thing!!!:eek:

I Think that would be a simple build using Dollar tree Foam Board with the paper remover so you can bend the foam, a 40" W/S would work great, the bulk heads and ribs can be foam board with the paper still on to make them stronger, and can be covered with the Foam Board too with the paper removed and some 3/8" square basswood for the wing Spar Brace, the stabilizer and rudder can be 1/8" Balsa sheet, I already Built that Plane in my Head :D :D :D LOL, Just my 2 cents worth, Chellie

kenchiroalpha 04-08-2014 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHELLIE (Post 944813)
Hi Hank :) Not able to view that Video too, it says its a private Video, even after logging in to You tube. you may need to change some of your settings on You tube.

Hi Chellie
Very strange none are set to private what about this one
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=banoAdXtIN8
And are any of you others having problems viewing my videos?
Take care dear friend
Yours Hanjk

CHELLIE 04-08-2014 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenchiroalpha (Post 944824)
Hi Chellie
Very strange none are set to private what about this one
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=banoAdXtIN8
And are any of you others having problems viewing my videos?
Take care dear friend
Yours Hanjk

Ok That one works, You look very Handsome in that Video Hank :D :D :D LOL

dahawk 04-08-2014 02:06 PM

Oh my,

Wellington, Lanc ? Those were not just slapped together. Now I'm thinking B-24 Lib. But looking at these great models makes me wonder how much time would be involved.

May the force be with you! LOL

-Hawk

FlyWheel 04-08-2014 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solentlife (Post 944764)
I'm a believer that Kits and similar can give an unfair advantage and I would propose NO KITS. The last contest - I really liked because it brought out the SCRATCHBUILD aspect ... starting from literally zero.

To me half the work is arriving at the design and plan ... a Kit - that's done and you drop into putting together someone else's design work.

Just my 2p's worth ...

Nigel

So what you're proposing is a scratchdesign plane. Many folks consider any build in which the builder selects and purchases their own wood (none is supplied) and builds from plans even if those plans originally came from or was at one time a kit.

Am I right on this?

dahawk 04-08-2014 02:33 PM

To me , it's like cooking.

If you follow a recipe, go to the store and buy the ingredients, then mash everything together and throw it in the oven , that's cooking from scratch.

However, if you buy a TV dinner and throw it in the oven or a can of spaghetti-o's and heat it up on the stove, that's not scratch.

CHELLIE 04-08-2014 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyWheel (Post 944859)
So what you're proposing is a scratchdesign plane. Many folks consider any build in which the builder selects and purchases their own wood (none is supplied) and builds from plans even if those plans originally came from or was at one time a kit.

Am I right on this?

I think the Contestants should vote on whether a kit can be used or not, plans are Ok to use, I dont want to Scare anyone away that may think that a scratch build may be too difficult and not want to enter this contest, the thing I am trying to do is to get More people involved, its about having fun and being able to be successful at building a Aircraft, not to many people are scratch builders, I want to encourage more people to build and learn and to become a scratch builder, May the force be with you :ws:

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahawk (Post 944860)
To me , it's like cooking.

If you follow a recipe, go to the store and buy the ingredients, then mash everything together and throw it in the oven , that's cooking from scratch.

However, if you buy a TV dinner and throw it in the oven or a can of spaghetti-o's and heat it up on the stove, that's not scratch.

Stop it, Your getting me hungry Hawk :D

CHELLIE 04-08-2014 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahawk (Post 944857)
Oh my,

Wellington, Lanc ? Those were not just slapped together. Now I'm thinking B-24 Lib. But looking at these great models makes me wonder how much time would be involved.

May the force be with you! LOL

-Hawk

Hi Hawk :ws: those 2 planes can be built quite quickly, with a box build technique, although they would suffer from detail, it all depends on how much detail a person wants to put into them, its the detail that takes the time, a B-25 can be built quite quickly, for the wing you can use some 3/8" square basswood or build a simple I beam for the Spar, and cover it with dollar tree foam, the leading edge can be a piece of 1/2" square balsa, with a piece of 1/4" wide x 1/16" thick basswood in the middle on one side to help hold the foam board while gluing for the leading edge, the trailing edge can be a piece of pre formed aileron stock balsa, just a few balsa ribs will be needed at the ends, middle and center to help hold the leading and trailing ends aligned, foam board ribs can be used for the rest of the ribs, a balsa stick build for the fuselage, covered with foam board with the skin off or heat shrink covering, 1/8" plywood for the motor mounts and landing gear mounts, 1/8" or 3/16" balsa sheet for the elevator and rudder,

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=981906



http://i401.photobucket.com/albums/p...n/IMG_0163.jpg

http://i401.photobucket.com/albums/p...n/IMG_2819.jpg

http://i401.photobucket.com/albums/p...n/IMG_2908.jpg

http://i401.photobucket.com/albums/p...n/IMG_2820.jpg

http://i401.photobucket.com/albums/p...n/IMG_2913.jpg

solentlife 04-08-2014 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyWheel (Post 944859)
So what you're proposing is a scratchdesign plane. Many folks consider any build in which the builder selects and purchases their own wood (none is supplied) and builds from plans even if those plans originally came from or was at one time a kit.

Am I right on this?

Trying to understand your post there !!

What I am saying : I don't agree with people able to go out and buy a kit to build for proposed contest.
But use a published / downloaded / own drawn / ex kit plan - fine.

The main point is that the contest should look for ability to create the parts ... put them together to look like the intended article ... finally to fly in reasonable manner.

Not everyone can draft up their own plans ... so we let them one slide and allow plans in from all manner. But the materials and build is own - not kit.

Nigel

solentlife 04-08-2014 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncoSquid (Post 944808)
.............Why not make the motor the factor in the build? just make sure they are USA wharehouse and available.........

Are you serious ? Not everyone lives under the Stars and Bars ....

This is an International Forum and actually has quite a following outside USA ...

Nigel

BroncoSquid 04-08-2014 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solentlife (Post 944867)
Are you serious ? Not everyone lives under the Stars and Bars ....

This is an International Forum and actually has quite a following outside USA ...

Nigel

Sorry Nigel, got a little full of myself huh? I have never ordered from Hobby King, mainly due to the horror stories about shipping times and all of the "make sure it comes from the USA Wharehouse" warnings.
No offence implied.

Chris

thepiper92 04-08-2014 08:22 PM

I have only used the International Warehouse...over 20 for shipping is too much to have a shorter wait time. How about a contest using specific materials, like making a bridge from spaghetti, but make a plane from spaghetti instead?

dahawk 04-08-2014 08:31 PM

Nigel,

We're Colonists! LOL

Bronc- HK has improved significantly over the last year especially. No worries there.

We're all talking the same thing here. Plans acceptable, ready-made pre-cut kits not. Having a friend with a laser or 3D printer okay? Select ingredients, cut out parts, make plane, Have a cocktail !

Maybe one requirement could be: Must re-use parts from existing stock. Naw.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:02 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005 WattfFlyer.com
RCU Eflight HQ

Page generated in 0.08456 seconds with 20 queries