WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Your Suggestions For The Next Build Contest (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73479)

CHELLIE 04-09-2014 10:49 AM

Getting a lot of Good Feed Back Here, I would like to start this Contest in a week or two, Here is what I am getting from the feed back

1. plans are ok

2. pre cut short kits are ok as opposed to a full kit

3. all building materials are ok to use, as not to limit availability of material to be used in countries where some materials may be limited

4. 120 days to get her Done :D

5. multi motor plane, 2 or more motors

6. $100.00 build limit, not to include power system or electronics

7. Ok Builders, if this sounds ok to you, let me know and we will start ASAP

pmullen503 04-09-2014 01:36 PM

Sounds good to me!

BroncoSquid 04-09-2014 03:58 PM

Go, Go, Go!:D

[popcorn]

thepiper92 04-09-2014 04:47 PM

One problem with short kits are how complete they are. Some come with nothing but complex pieces, and some have everything but stringers. Even complete kits range a lot, as my full kit P-47 is much less complete than my P-51

pmullen503 04-09-2014 06:51 PM

I think the goal is to have the entrants do more than just assemble some premade parts (like an ARF "kit"). If the "short" kit is too complete, don't vote for that plane.

Seriously, the goal is to have fun and encourage building rather than just buying RTF's. I would even allow "significantly" modified RTF airframes, but that's just me. (Modifying an ARF may be a beginner's introduction to building these days. Maybe for the next contest....bash a foam ARF into something else.)

Abuelo 04-09-2014 07:42 PM

My feeling is that a scratch building contest should be just that, build from your own imagination and creativity. To me, this is a more "complete" hobby when I can take an idea, sketch it out, turn into plans, determine materials and sizes, build, and fly what is then my own creation.

I have no complaint on what kits or short kits are intended to accomplish, but at the end you have something that someone else created and you assembled. Working from published plans still is a challenge although some of the work is done for you, from a three-view is even more challenging, and from an idea is even better. One approach is to take a plan for an intriguing plane, such as a peanut scale of something obscure, scale it up and build into an electric. Almost all the decision making is yours.

Will go with whatever the rules are, and have three or four ideas already on what would be suitable. We can have other contests for kits, short kits, kit bashes, RTF bashes, toy store gliders, or whatever.

Another option is to have two or more categories to vote on, like for originality, complexity, creativity in materials, workmanship, etc., with the total points deciding the winners. For example, Opel (of the car fame) had a black powder rocket propelled glider that he flew (once). How about that glider with an EDF instead and still looking like the prototype?

Just my 2.

solentlife 04-09-2014 07:50 PM

The idea of splitting the award for levels of build is actually akin to various in the real world.

I think the start point is plan on table ... how that plan is derived / obtained is irrelevant ... Lets be honest when people 'draft' up cad plans - they are far more than really needed to build. A simple 3 view can in fact build a model ... look at my Concorde ...

What we are looking at is to broaden the attraction so that people who might not have built - will enter and have a go. Making it an 'Everest climb' is not real.

My 2p's worth.

Nigel

CHELLIE 04-10-2014 02:21 AM

One of My Goals in hosting a contest is to get people involved that may think they dont have what it takes to Build or Scratch Build a Plane, IMHO, Everyone has what it takes to build a Nice Plane, Some people just need to be Encouraged a little to just do it :ws: Thats why I am Not Going to call this contest a Scratch Build Contest, But rather a Build Contest, and allow plans and short Kits to be used, a person can Scratch build their plane if they like, but i want to get more people involved in building in Hopes that we will Create some future Scratch builders, when i started with Model Aviation, i built kits, they were CL kits like the Flight Streak, Little Jumping Bean, voodoo wing and others, Building kits taught me how to Scratch build, And thats the Real Goal here, to Teach more people to Scratch build, Scratch Builders are a Dyeing Breed of People, and we need more of them :D LOL Take care and have fun, Chellie

CHELLIE 04-10-2014 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thepiper92 (Post 944996)
One problem with short kits are how complete they are. Some come with nothing but complex pieces, and some have everything but stringers. Even complete kits range a lot, as my full kit P-47 is much less complete than my P-51

The short kits help to make the Build a little easier, with the main parts already cut for you, but you still have to buy a lot of the material, a Short kit will be a big help with the newbi builder to get a head start on their build, and is not a unfair advantage IMHO.

CHELLIE 04-10-2014 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abuelo (Post 944999)
My feeling is that a scratch building contest should be just that, build from your own imagination and creativity. To me, this is a more "complete" hobby when I can take an idea, sketch it out, turn into plans, determine materials and sizes, build, and fly what is then my own creation.

I have no complaint on what kits or short kits are intended to accomplish, but at the end you have something that someone else created and you assembled. Working from published plans still is a challenge although some of the work is done for you, from a three-view is even more challenging, and from an idea is even better. One approach is to take a plan for an intriguing plane, such as a peanut scale of something obscure, scale it up and build into an electric. Almost all the decision making is yours.

Will go with whatever the rules are, and have three or four ideas already on what would be suitable. We can have other contests for kits, short kits, kit bashes, RTF bashes, toy store gliders, or whatever.

Another option is to have two or more categories to vote on, like for originality, complexity, creativity in materials, workmanship, etc., with the total points deciding the winners. For example, Opel (of the car fame) had a black powder rocket propelled glider that he flew (once). How about that glider with an EDF instead and still looking like the prototype?

Just my 2.

I Hear You, But Its My Intention to Make More Scratch Builders, but before you can become a Scratch Builder, you have to have a few Kits under your Belt, Quite a few kits, Thats the Intent of these build contest to get more people involved, and to make it not to difficult for the new builder to get their Feet Wet, There are very very Few true Scratch Builders here on Wattflyers, and a true Scratch build contest would have very very few people involved, I want to get as many people involved to give it a Try, To build something and make it fly :ws:

Abuelo 09-18-2014 09:50 PM

Idea for the next contest

I've been thinking of what to build for the next contest. One idea, how about considering building (not necessarily from scratch) an aircraft that, if enlarged up to a human scale, you yourself would fly in? The points made in earlier postings are well taken and I have the plans for the twin (Short Scion) I would have built had other priorities not arisen.

Could be an original design, from a plan, from a kit, etc. Size and materials are up to the builder. Only criterial would be for a cockpit or other arrangement where a pilot would be. An actual pilot or at least a bust of one would be a plus, along with a few words on why you chose that particular plane.

I'm more likely to pilot a Pietenpol Aircamper than an F-35 so would lean towards the former. Doesn't matter what you build, just that you can visualize yourself as the pilot and the plane has a human proportioned cockpit.

Thoughts?

road king 97 09-18-2014 10:47 PM

A new site for free plans i found . Chellie i love building and watching your contests to get them building . :D joe http://www.rcflug.ch/plans/models.php I also just thanked Abuelo for his magnetict building board thread. Nice !!!! joe

Brner 09-18-2014 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abuelo (Post 957486)
.......if enlarged up to a human scale, you yourself would fly in? ......

Thoughts?

Thoughts? I wouldn't even get in the cockpit of a plane I designed and built...even if you took the prop off.......:eek:

road king 97 09-19-2014 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DEG (Post 957494)
Thoughts? I wouldn't even get in the cockpit of a plane I designed and built...even if you took the prop off.......:eek:

Lmao i can almost get in some of mine now ! I have built ribs for a real homebuilt plane out of basswood for friends who were building one. Steaming basswood /and bending /tacking / around a jig and 80 big wing ribs took alot of time. :D I was honered that they asked me to help and trusted me to build them right tho . joe