WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Foamies (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   "NASTY" The ultimate 3D trainer !! (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25303)

BobbyDog 10-05-2007 08:15 AM

"NASTY" The ultimate 3D trainer !!

8 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone,

I finished building a Depron plane a week or so ago and cant say enough about how this thing flies. Its called the "Nasty" designed by "WaterDog" over at RCGroups. I really cant explain how much fun this thing is to fly, not to mention how easy everything seems! I have quite a few planes now, including a Airfoilz yak and edge, Fliton Extra 330, SA Edge 540, and this one is by far the easiest to 3D. Just thought if someone was looking for a 36" wingspan foamie to practice 3D on, this is the one I recommend. I'm using 4 Futaba 3110 servos, a AXI 2212 motor, and a 1200mah lipo. The plane can be built ready to fly at 13 oz's, but I added another servo and some carbon so I came in at 16 oz's. The wingloading is still VERY low at that. If you have any questions about my mods, just ask.The plane iteself cost me about 20 bucks to build start to finish. Heres a few pics before the paint job. I hope WaterDog doesnt mind me posting the plans for it, he does ask that you dont use them for commercial use. If you do build one of these planes, post a pic! Good luck. :)

Heres the build guide for this plane. Its a great starting point, but of course everyone has their own way of doing things. In one of my pictures you can see that I've already made a few mods to mine. Enjoy!

http://www.tornlogic.com/avov/nbg.pdf

Bob

max2112 10-05-2007 09:58 AM

Cool!

Looks Graet, Bobby Dog!

What kind of paint scheme do you have in mind?

Also, How does the Nasty react when it's not being flown agressive?
Do you think it would be an OK platform for a low-level intermediate pilot?
Thanks!

Airhead 10-05-2007 10:01 AM

Hey Bobbydog,
Your plane has that I mean business look about it. Let us see it when you choose your colors..

rc808 10-05-2007 11:39 AM

Been looking for a 3d trainer like this. Anybody know how it compares to a slofly?

BobbyDog 10-05-2007 03:59 PM

I was just telling my buddy who is still at the 3 channel skill level that this would be a perfect aileron trainer for him. But I'm a little more agressive with my learning curve than others. I think if you were to turn the throw way down on this, it would do the trick nicely. It can fly very slow and when it stalls it just tips forward, with no power it glides on forever.

The wife says I'm going with a orange tiger theme for this plane. I'm not a fan of orange but she's the boss! :) Keep ya posted.

Bob

Airhead 10-05-2007 04:51 PM

Hey Bob,
It oughta look pretty good. Can't wait to see it.:)

max2112 10-06-2007 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by BobbyDog (Post 284564)
I was just telling my buddy who is still at the 3 channel skill level that this would be a perfect aileron trainer for him. But I'm a little more agressive with my learning curve than others. I think if you were to turn the throw way down on this, it would do the trick nicely. It can fly very slow and when it stalls it just tips forward, with no power it glides on forever.

The wife says I'm going with a orange tiger theme for this plane. I'm not a fan of orange but she's the boss! :) Keep ya posted.

Bob

Thanks, BobbyDog.
I am looking forward to seeing the final product!

My wife likes to choose the pilot figures for my plane. So far I've got one teddy bear, one Pikachu pokemon, and one "no he looks better empty!"
:)

Whirly10 10-11-2007 12:37 AM

Worked Nasty

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Dog I built a Nasty in June and I can't get it under control.
It's really a wild ride too crazy. Any breeze and it flips over rolls etc.
I thought I had the cg figured out but man it's a *****y plane. I read that yours flys like a dream and even glides. I thought it might have been the amout of twisting in the fff fuse so the tail is alway twisting to make it hard to fly. I'm going to try limiting the travel of the control surfaces more. Any thoughts.
It's pretty worked, oops.

BobbyDog 10-11-2007 06:54 AM

Well theres your problem !! Lol dude, your plane is NASTY!! I'm surprized that thing flies at all now. I would go back to the cutting board if I were you bro, honestly. I'd say that your major problem would be the floppy tail feathers. Did you use a carbon stiffener? If so did you use the recommended thickness carbon? Maybe you messed up with the Angle of Attacks or something, hard to tell from that picture. All I can say is that I built mine pretty much to speck, except for an extra carbon stiffener in the main wing, and like I said it flies on rails. The only crash I've sustained at this point is when I accidentally on purpose ran into my Llama lol.

I would buy some 6mm Depron and a length of carbon and do it over again. There is no doubt in my mind that you just didnt get something right, no biggie, $hit happens. Peace :cool:

Bob

Whirly10 10-12-2007 07:53 PM

Thanks Dog, I'll build a new one. I was thinking about using Coroplast. Ever see or use that stuff? It is a lot stronger than fff, a little heavier.
It might sustain crashes a little better. I'll let you know.
I got a 375 watt outrunner from Nitroplanes.com only $29.00
It's an Exceed monster 10. Looks nice. I'm thinking about sticking it on a coroplast SU 27 jet. I got the plans on here and blew them up to 48" ws.
I'll post it when it's done. It might take a while though.
Gotta work out the Nasty first.

Ron S 10-14-2007 05:41 PM

Here,one built out of FFF. It's been flying(and crashing for 2 years now!). It's one of my favorite planes to fly. Ronhttp://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d8.../Nasty1001.jpg Here's another one that fly's great. Not much of a trainer,but really get's with it. http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d8.../Cap232002.jpg http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d8.../Cap232001.jpg

BobbyDog 10-14-2007 08:36 PM

Nice work Ron, what is the red/white one called? Is it a Cap 232? Thats such an awesome paint scheme, one of my all time fav's. Is that one a flat plate or profile wing? I'm still flying my Nasty and am loving it more and more each time. I've cartwheeled it a bunch of times now and its still all in one piece. The only thing I need to change is the motor mount setup, it tends to come loose after a minor "emergency" landing. Anyway, I've painted it now so I'll post some pics of the paint job later. Peace.

Bob

Ron S 10-15-2007 03:20 AM

BD,yup! It's a Cap232!:D It is a flat foamy,built out of Fan Fold Foam. It isn't as stable as my Nasty,but it will really tumble.:ws: I run a 6.6 to 1 gear box on it with a 4255kv motor. This setup with a 2S1250-1650 mah battery gives unlimmited verticle,using a 11 X 4.7 or a 12 x 6 SF prop. You can go veritcle,do a inside snap roll,then into a upright flat spin,then nose over straight down, and do a outside snap,and into a inverted flat spin,then throttle back up into a hover again. By not being too stable it will really do some wild 3-D stuff. Ron PS. The paint is,flat white acrilic paint (shot with a air brush,then a fine point sharpie,and filled in with a red permant marker.;-)

Whirly10 10-16-2007 02:30 PM

Bob, I noticed that you used two servos for ailerons instead of the orig plan with just one. I thought the one servo plan was genius. Is two better?
You used plastic hinges for the elev. are they worth buying? Better than tape?
Lastly, the Nasty fuse is not stiff, on account of the fff is weak. You said your plan flys well but do you think it would be worth stiffening the fuse maybe with 1/2" foam instead of just fff?

I think my problem was cg too far forward and wind. I had the battery ontop of the wing because the lower front fuse was mangled. That was probly not the right place to put it. But I wanted to fly it again. oops.

Have you guys ever used coroplast to make planes? It's way stronger.
www.spadtothebone.com

Whirly10 10-16-2007 02:41 PM

Big Motor only $29. @Nitroplanes

Check out this Bad Boy from Nitro. I got one and it's gonna haul mail.
375 watts. Good Bang for the buck. It looks really nice. Strong shaft. Beautiful machining.
Seems to have huge output. I will report back about it once it's in a plane.
They have much bigger ones for a little more $.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/mopose.html

BobbyDog 10-17-2007 08:17 AM

I used two servos because those are really big ailerons on the Nasty, too big for a single HS-55 in my opinion. They would have ended up being really slow and you would run the risk of stripping them. The servos I'm using are only 7 grams so the extra weight is well worth it to me. Now I've got lightning quick response and no chance to strip. (Unless I plant it :))

The elevator has 4 "CA" hinges, then I also add a strip of Blenderm along the bottom to seal the hinge line as well as add some insurance. This is how I do almost all my hinges on all my planes, balsa and foamie alike. I have used the Dubro pinned hinges, and they are probably better if done properly. You have to get it right though, and they take a little more prep. For you I would recommend doing it the same as me. You could even get away with only using 2 "CA" hinges instead of 4.

I have never even seen this stuff you guys call fff so I cant tell you what to expect there, sorry. I have only ever used Depron and the pink eps insulation. My fusalage is really nice and stiff, I did use the next size up carbon rod than the plans called for. If/when I build another one, I think I'll either go the next size up again, or continue the depron down the side from the wing like other foamies do. Good luck!

Bob

P.S. Wow that is CHEAP for a motor that size! I would be worried that there is no stats for them though. They may have no bearings, unhardened shaft, as well as cheap magnets. They are also little heavier than the more expensive ones. I have a 375 watt E-Flite that comes in at 4.2 ozs compared to the 5.3 of those ones. But for a guy who just wants to fly and have fun, I'd say you cant really go wrong. Even if they only last half as long as the expensive ones, your still ahead of the game. Let us know how you make out with it.

Glacier Girl 10-17-2007 03:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I love the NASTY, I've built three or four of them. Heck my last one I only had some camo colors laying around and they just didn't look right.
So a little cutting and sanding and I changed it into a Kiwi P40 Nasty.

Liked it so much I even went overboard and scaled up a set of plans and built a Nasty Corsair, even has gull wings.

BobbyDog 10-18-2007 10:34 PM

You go girl! :) I love that P-40.. How did the Corsair end up flying? How much did you scale up those plans? I would really like to scale a Nasty up to about 55 inches but I'm not sure what the limits of Depron are. I guess I"ll just have to find out the hard way.

How do you like those jet thingys? They look really cool but I'm thinking they must get pretty boring after a dozen high speed passes. How do you like yours?

homerx 10-19-2007 04:29 PM

Really better than an airfoilz 540?

Does the nasty tumble as fast as the 540 and handle faster flight like the 540? I am curious because I am looking for a second fomy build and want something that performs like I see the AF 540 doing. I have a EPP yake that 3d's great but can't do mach at speed due to flexing etc . . ? I am thinking of a Nasty with hollow wing Like AF540 ?

JJ42 10-20-2007 02:35 AM

Hey Dog............hows the North Island?? Rain like us? I got my hands on lots of Green Guard, which is similar to FFF.(fan fold foam) FFF is usually blue from what I've seen. Green guard is........well you get it. LOL Can you say building day??
CHeers,
Jim

BobbyDog 10-20-2007 05:33 AM

Cool Jimbo, yeah I wish I was building something today, instead I was bent over welding up a busted up float with rain running down the crack of my a$$. lol. Oh well, more money to buy RC gear with! Good luck..

The Airfoilz 540 has a much stiffer wing, and is quite a bit heavier than the Nasty. The nasty wouldnt be much good at speed in my opinion. Its does flip over on itself and tumble as good if not better though. If your asking me which I like to fly better, I would say I like to fly them both equally. The two downsides to the Airfoilz is the price, and the weight. I paid 80 Cdn for mine, which is 60 more than I paid for the Nasty. If you wanted to make an airfoiled wing for the Nasty, then you could definatly get more speed out of it. If you were to keep the weight down, then you could also get a slightly slower stall speed. I was thinking of making a hotwire airfoil wing for mine and trying it out also. Good luck and let us know how you make out. :)

Bob

BobbyDog 10-20-2007 06:02 AM

I just read my post and I think I kind of made it sound like the Nasty flexes so it cant handle speed. It has more to do with the flat wings than flex. Flat plates are not that efficient so they create alot of drag which means limited top speed. If you ask me though, they go plenty fast enough for a 3D machine. Its not like they can only do 15 mph. I wouldnt worry about it myself and just put one together. If you could find the foam cheap enough and use bamboo instead of carbon, you should be able to make this plane for less than 5 bucks. Good luck.

Bob

JJ42 10-20-2007 07:15 AM

Hey Bob, I have Green guard with an Amos drawn out.......wanna try it? I wouldn't mind trying a Nasty !! Let me know. Have you ever built a Bipe? I'm going to build a 4S Bipe using GG. Wanna try one?.....building day dude.
Let me know.
Cheers !!!

homerx 10-22-2007 09:27 PM

Pofile Nasty

1 Attachment(s)
Well I have started the profile nasty I has estimated the weigh at 14 ounce W/O battery here is a shot I'll let you know how it flies.

Glacier Girl 10-22-2007 10:09 PM

BD, the Corsair maiden was an obvious way under propped event.
More then enough thrust with a 12x6 but no where near any real speed. Barely enough to keep flying, but it had enough thrust to hang on the prop. She ended up being very tail heavy, ended up with 2 1/2" oz of lead in the nose to balance. Am going to install a bigger motor and remove the lead and try again when time allows.

Oh and wingspan on it is 47 1/4" from tip to tip.

The Thunderbird is a hoot to play around with. Bought it on H/L crash sale. Will fly slow or fast. Pretty darn acrobatic too.