WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   World Tour Tiger Moth...Final Chapter (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=210)
-   -   World Tour Tiger Moth - The Final Chapter (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32872)

Buzz 04-04-2008 05:53 PM

World Tour Tiger Moth - The Final Chapter

3 Attachment(s)
Greetings to all World Tour Tiger Moth Pilots and supporters. Over the past 3 years we've accomplished a LOT.... but since I am getting the Moth into the AMA Museum the final chapter of the tour must be written here on Wattflyer.
The Administrator of Wattflyer.com has been gracious enough to let us finish out tour here, since as most of you know, I cannot post on RCGroups any longer.

Here's a blurb from our web site..... "
"About the World Tour Tiger Moth

In 2004 a brand new GWS Tiger Moth was built to begin a world tour of the Moth. Pilots were in all 50 states, parts of Canada and around the world to give the Tiger Moth a 5 - 10 minute flight, take in-flight photos, and then autographing the Moth with username, date, and zip code. Once flown the plane would be shipped to the next pilot.
The maiden (first) flight was flown on March 7, 2004. Luis Hoyos (Dulcelife) was the maiden pilot. Construction was done by Gene Carr. Then the tour was commenced in St. Petersburg, Florida on March 14, 2004.
The original idea was conceived on the a forum by a group of R/C flyers dedicated to sharing their love of this wonderful, safe, fun aeroplane across the nation and the world. The end goal we hope is to place this Moth in the AMA Museum.
Pilots would be required to ship the Moth to the next recipient at their own expense. If they break it, they would repair it within the guidelines. Parts failures such as motor, etc., have logistics already planned for. The Tiger Moth is supplied and all accessories required for flying her.
The pilots will not “hotdog” the Moth or perform aerobatics with it. They treat her like the gentle lady that she is.
To date, over 80 pilots have been united and connected by the World Tour Tigermoth. Having been across most of the continental United States the plane has surpassed all expectations when it set forth on it’s journey in early 2004!" Our web site may be accessed from this link,

http://cloak.rchomepage.com/index.shtml

The actual count of pilots who flew in the tour is closer to 100 now. The plane is home safe. This is a stock "out of the kit" GWS Tiger Moth using the original "IPS" tiny electric motor. Although our plans were to fly the plane around the world... by the time she finished her tour through the USA, Hawaii, Canada, The Yukon, and Alaska.. it was obvious she was tired and we didn't want to risk losing her by shipping her to Europe. Thanks to Wattflyer for letting us post our "final chapter" here.

Update: The application for acceptance by the AMA Museum has been sent to the approval committee which meets next on April 10th. The museum sounds very interested in the plane, and we all hope she will be accepted as a donation to be displayed. To all WTTM pilots!.... please stay in contact using this forum. Information about the acceptance of the Moth will be posted HERE ONLY! I would urge anyone who wants to post in the forum to sign up now... You can use your screen names from RCGroups if they are available on Wattflyer. I will post pictures and other information as I hear more from the Museum committee. I have information about shirts also, which I will post later. Basically, if you want a shirt, pick your own and send it to me. I can have a logo embroidered on the front for $15.00. Please let me know if you want a shirt. I will give more information on where to send them later. That's it for now. Register on Wattflyer so you can post your thoughts about this epic event.

Best Wishes,

Buzz
WTTM Pilot #6
Daytona Beach, FL

boomerace 04-04-2008 07:44 PM

Glad to see this here! Was a great day when the Oregon Flyers were able to fly her and again at the Great Oregon Fly in toward the end of her journey!:cool: See my website www.boomerseflight.com for press coverage and pics of that event!
boomer

Buzz 04-04-2008 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by boomerace (Post 387685)
Glad to see this here! Was a great day when the Oregon Flyers were able to fly her and again at the Great Oregon Fly in toward the end of her journey!:cool: See my website www.boomerseflight.com for press coverage and pics of that event!
boomer

Hey, Boomer!! Thanks for following me! LOL. Good to see you posting here and thanks for putting up the link to your fly in. I believe more people saw the WTTM there, in the paper, and on TV than any other stop. But, we did get some other good media coverage also.

Sure hope the rest of the crew finds their way here. I know you can't put up a link "over there" without having it deleted and getting a ban point. Others I've contacted will mention it too though... I just don't want the entire tour to get away from us before we can document every bit of it.

If you have pictures of the WTTM when you had it... please post them also... We need to get ahold of Cloak because the web site links to the gallery and some of the pictures don't work. I can't email him from the "other place". It would be nice if all of the pictures worked when the AMA Museum views the site. :blah:

Buzz

Elfi Flyer 04-04-2008 08:49 PM

RD [Elfi Flyer on this site] checking in.

In looking back over the WTTM activities and flight information, it dawned on me that South Carolina may be the only state in the US part of the tour that had two, that's right, two pilots: Mangyrat and me. Just how we managed to get that privilege is beyond me.

Let me know if I can be of any assistance with WTTM information as it applies to my time with the plane. I really do hope this little Moth can get domiciled at AMA's museum. I have been to the museum 2 or 3 times before, and can easily make a stop at Munci when I am doing business travel in the Midwest.

As has been said before, "Onwards and Upwards little Moth!"

Buzz 04-04-2008 08:57 PM

RD!!! Good to see you here! Go ahead and upload the pictures of the WTTM when you had her. I wasn't aware that there was only one state that was flown in twice. You travel so much, you could have flown it in a lot of states for us! Wonder why we didn't think of that? ::o

Buzz

Originally Posted by Elfi Flyer (Post 387717)
RD [Elfi Flyer on this site] checking in.

In looking back over the WTTM activities and flight information, it dawned on me that South Carolina may be the only state in the US part of the tour that had two, that's right, two pilots: Mangyrat and me. Just how we managed to get that privilege is beyond me.

Let me know if I can be of any assistance with WTTM information as it applies to my time with the plane. I really do hope this little Moth can get domiciled at AMA's museum. I have been to the museum 2 or 3 times before, and can easily make a stop at Munci when I am doing business travel in the Midwest.

As has been said before, "Onwards and Upwards little Moth!"

Elfi Flyer 04-04-2008 09:14 PM

6 Attachment(s)
As much as I would have liked to have flown the WTTM on more than one occassion, it was flown just once by me. Unfortunately, the weather was less than ideal, so I flew it in windy conditions, grey overcast skies. Still, a real thrill to have had her "in my hands". I picked up the plane from Mangyrat while on business in Charleston, SC. He was working near the paper mill where I was visiting. We arranged for a direct transfer of the WTTM, saving at least one bumpy ride via UPS. Wish I had pictures of the "transfer", but here a a few of when I had the plane in my shop and also at the field.

boomerace 04-04-2008 09:27 PM

31 Attachment(s)
Sorry to bust your bubble but many states had more than 2 flyers. Oregon and Florida to name 2. Did you mention Pictures???:D
boomer

aeromite 04-04-2008 09:47 PM

Just checkin' in!

Buzz 04-04-2008 09:52 PM

Hahahaha.... leave it to Boomer! Where are the pics of the reporter and the television broadcast on the news?

I can't get to Cloak's email to tell him that the web site is not working correctly. Can someone PM me his "pure" email address.... not through RCGroups.? It's fun to watch the old pictures popping up... a lot of these were never posted before. Nice, boomer and RD! ;) I know others have hidden photos....post 'em up! :D

Buzz

Buzz 04-04-2008 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by aeromite (Post 387747)
Just checkin' in!

Thanks! Pictures? ;)

Buzz

boomerace 04-04-2008 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Buzz (Post 387751)
Hahahaha.... leave it to Boomer! Where are the pics of the reporter and the television broadcast on the news?

It's fun to watch the old pictures popping up... a lot of these were never posted before. Nice, boomer and RD! ;) I know others have hidden photos....post 'em up! :D

Buzz

Sorry Buzz no pics just a broadcast Video. See website.
boomer

AirWarriorBelgy 04-04-2008 11:15 PM

Subcribed.....more jocularity to follow

Elfi Flyer 04-04-2008 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by boomerace (Post 387737)
Sorry to bust your bubble but many states had more than 2 flyers. Oregon and Florida to name

No problem, and thanks for the corrections. Here, all this time, I was of the opinion we (Mangy & I) had "cheated" by having more than one person from a single state fly the plane. I will rest easier these following evenings!! ;) Great pictures, BTW

Spencer J 04-05-2008 12:12 AM

Buzz,

Its great to have you at Wattflyer... this website definitally deserves the World Tour Tiger Moth much more than some of the original website hosts do, for a number of reasons, most of them I am unable to 'reveal' on this board without crossing the invisible line of political correctness :D

SJ

Spencer J 04-05-2008 12:17 AM

BTW, any word about the Globe Trotters on WF feeling about the WTTM migrating to WF? lol

Don Sims 04-05-2008 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by AirWarriorBelgy (Post 387800)
Subcribed.....more jocularity to follow

About time you came over here! SEFF this year???

Elfi Flyer 04-05-2008 02:45 AM

SEFF is on my calander this year. Already preregistered, motel reservations made. Now if I can just stay mobile enough I should make it!!

Airhead 04-05-2008 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by Spencer J (Post 387828)
BTW, any word about the Globe Trotters on WF feeling about the WTTM migrating to WF? lol

Hey folks,
I'll be a Globe Trotter pilot soon and I think it is awesome having Buzz and the Tiger Moth here. I'm just enjoying the story and partnerships that an event like this brings together..:D

AirWarriorBelgy 04-05-2008 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Don Sims (Post 387863)
About time you came over here! SEFF this year???

Absolutely!!!! ;-)

Glen and I once again will be making the trek and "roughing it" as usual
come on and join us again....we lost one of our gang due to fininces this year....so I 'm sure we can share a front row seat again:silly:

May be in a better slot than last years "end of the line" too

I had just changed company's last year so we couldn't get there before thursday late afternoon...this year we are on for Tuesday again:D

see ya there Don

Chuck

AirWarriorBelgy 04-05-2008 12:16 PM

never mind that......anyword on how they feel about me being at WF after my Tirade at ...hmm...the other site....hope no one carries a grudge:o

Chuck

aeromite 04-05-2008 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Buzz (Post 387752)
Thanks! Pictures? ;)

Buzz

They're on a another PC. I'll get them up soon! ;-)

Don Sims 04-05-2008 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by AirWarriorBelgy (Post 388204)
never mind that......anyword on how they feel about me being at WF after my Tirade at ...hmm...the other site....hope no one carries a grudge:o

Chuck

Not for long Chuck. :blah: Once the Wattheads get to know you, they'll understand.

If you guys think of it, please save a spot then! I'll get there early Thursday morning if I cut out Wed after work or Thurs afternoon. Real tent this year instead of sleeping in the shelter. Nick may not make it though.

smokejohnson 04-05-2008 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by AirWarriorBelgy (Post 388204)

Chuck

No hard feelings here...let bygones be bygones :). And welcome to Wattflyer.

aeromite 04-05-2008 05:43 PM

8 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Buzz (Post 387752)
Thanks! Pictures? ;)

Buzz

Here 'ya go.

The pics are from Middletown, Delaware taken on 8/26/06. Unfortunately, no in-flight pics because I had to leave the house at 4:15 to get to DE before the winds and rain hit and no one wanted to get up at that time and be my photog. I flew at this school yard at just around 7:00 AM.

Buzz 04-05-2008 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by aeromite (Post 388295)
Here 'ya go.

The pics are from Middletown, Delaware taken on 8/26/06. Unfortunately, no in-flight pics because I had to leave the house at 4:15 to get to DE before the winds and rain hit and no one wanted to get up at that time and be my photog. I flew at this school yard at just around 7:00 AM.

Great pics, Aero.... thanks for posting them.

Chuck... I've never met anyone on this site who didn't give me a warm welcome. I'm not too worried about Stink's tour.... ours is over and I'm in there cheering "Wiggy" on. Stink (Tim) and I have exchanged emails and I find him to be quite a nice guy. Wattflyer needs a pilot who can fly a stock Tiger Moth inverted! :Q