WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Power Systems (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Prop Balancer Question (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7239)

Grasshopper 05-31-2006 05:44 AM

Prop Balancer Question

How important is it to balance your props? Is it any more critical when run on a brushless or brushed motor? If so, what is a good prop balancer?

Thanks,

Tom

Cowboy 05-31-2006 06:09 AM

Grasshopper
I use the TF Top Flite Precision Magnetic Balancer. I seems to work good and is easy to use. I have flown props without balancing and have flown props balanced, couldn't tell any differance.:confused: I am sure that a balanced prop has got to have less vibration and be easier on the motor. I figure that it doesn't take much time. so I do it.
I don't think it matters what type of motor , its going to help one way or the other.;)

tim hooper 05-31-2006 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Cowboy (Post 75501)
I have flown props without balancing and have flown props balanced, couldn't tell any differance.

In total contrast to the previous post, I've had props that were so far out of of balance that I didn't dare attempt to run them at full thottle until they'd been balanced! APC E props are usually the worst, I've found.

There seem to be a lot of other factors involved too. Frontal overhang will tend to exaggerate any imbalance, as will rear (reverse) mounting the motor. A cheap and nasty plastic spinner can also be a contributory factor.

For balancing I go for the homemade option of a couple of knifeblades, parallel-mounted, on either side of a wooden block.

tim

Rugar 05-31-2006 06:44 AM

I totally agree with Tim. The APC E props seem to really be out of balance, especially the ones Ive been getting lately. They have a lot of mold flash left on them. A little flash around the tips, and a lot around the hub. Brushed or brushless has no bearing on if a prop should be balanced or not. A prop is a spinning mass that needs to be in balance no matter what its bolted to. I use this Balancer. Its not the greatest but it gets the job done. I'm really wanting to get a better one.
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/balancer.htm

redgiki 05-31-2006 10:49 AM

I use a Du-Bro Spin-Rite balancer. Works well.

With my Master Airscrew 10x8E props, balancing is essential. The blades on these props are very out-of-balance from the factory, with a lot of flashing hanging off until I sand it off. The prop is also MUCH stiffer and heavier than the stock E-Flite 10x8E prop my Jug came with.

On the plus side, it's also a great deal "thrustier". A couple of extra ounces of thrust make for much taller loops. Yet runtimes are very comparable to the E-flite prop.

Anyway, for really lightweight slow-flyer props, I would say it's not absolutely critical, but is often important. For heavier or faster-spinning props, it's essential. Before I balanced my MA props, running my motor at full throttle threatened to break the motor mount off!

major3d 01-03-2009 05:14 AM

Prop Balance

I use the De-bro Tru-Spin Prop Balance.

R6_Infantry 01-03-2009 05:38 AM

I use the Flite magnetic balance, works great except for the small stuff, any ideas for a substitute mandrel or ? I saw a post about using a piece from a CD ROM? or maybe a drill bit with some fuel hose used for holding the prop?

Dr Kiwi 01-03-2009 05:31 PM

I use my Top Flite Precision Magnetic Balancer on EVERY prop I use..... some are better than others, but seldom do I find a prop which is perfectly balanced straight from the package. Unbalanced props adversely affect performance, and play merry hell with bearings (and your safety if the motor breaks free from the mount!).

simibill 01-03-2009 08:20 PM

I bought a Du-Bro balancer after I flew my T-28 with a ParkZone 3 blade prop that almost shook my airplane apart. This prop was so far out of balance that it was nearly impossible to get it balanced at all. Before this incident, I never bothered with balancing, now I do it to all my props.

FlyWheel 01-04-2009 01:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Related question; how do you properly mount a prop on a balancer when the hole doesn't go all the way through (i.e. prop and "spinner" are a single molded piece)?

xuzme720 01-04-2009 02:23 AM

You have to go to the straightedge method with those, I would guess...

Sir Raleigh 01-04-2009 07:00 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I use a homemade prop balancer and a finger balancer.

FlyWheel 01-05-2009 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by xuzme720 (Post 536529)
You have to go to the straightedge method with those, I would guess...

"Straightedge method"? Explain (in reasonable detail) please. ????

smokejohnson 01-05-2009 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by FlyWheel (Post 536508)
Related question; how do you properly mount a prop on a balancer when the hole doesn't go all the way through (i.e. prop and "spinner" are a single molded piece)?

Nevermind :o

xuzme720 01-05-2009 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by FlyWheel (Post 537078)
"Straightedge method"? Explain (in reasonable detail) please. ????

Take any sort of fairly sharp edged item(butter knife, metal ruler, etc.) and stand it upright in clay or anything that will keep it rock steady, then try to balance the prop on it. Use your normal balancing technique(sanding heavy side, painting light side) to get the prop to balance at the hub center. Not as precise as the magnetic balancers but effective.

FlyWheel 01-05-2009 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by xuzme720 (Post 537145)
Take any sort of fairly sharp edged item(butter knife, metal ruler, etc.) and stand it upright in clay or anything that will keep it rock steady, then try to balance the prop on it. Use your normal balancing technique(sanding heavy side, painting light side) to get the prop to balance at the hub center. Not as precise as the magnetic balancers but effective.

The next obvious question is how does one go about getting the prop exactly centered on the edge? And considering all the weight would be above this edge, how does one compensate for the fact that the whole thing is top heavy?

Or am I missing the point (I never was good a "word pictures") ????

Murocflyer 01-05-2009 02:28 AM

I use this method. http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...t=27102&page=9

Scoll down towards the bottom of the page. It works very well.

Frank

xuzme720 01-05-2009 02:29 AM

Sorry, straightedge is vertical, prop goes across it horizontally... think of a "T" with the prop as the top of the T with the spinner/hub as the balance point and the ruler or knife as the upright part of the "T"...
Does that help?

xuzme720 01-05-2009 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by Murocflyer (Post 537203)
I use this method. http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...t=27102&page=9

Scoll down towards the bottom of the page. It works very well.

Frank

He was asking how to balance props with integrated spinners, i.e. no thru hole...

xuzme720 01-05-2009 02:37 AM

I think I may have missed your point on the last post. you probably won't get it to balance in place on the straightedge, best case scenario is you manage to get it perfect and it does (you can if using a metal ruler with a flat edge) but usually you can get it to a point where either side will drop as opposed to the same side always dropping (heavy blade).

xuzme720 01-09-2009 02:44 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I was looking back over this and I think a picture would clear up any confusion. let me know if you need anything else.
Note:the prop I used isn't one with an integral spinner, (I didn't have any handy) but the technique is the same!

HeliScRapYard 07-11-2009 03:50 PM

Prop Balancing.

I Like To add minute dabs of hot glue to the light side and if it becomes the heavy side scrape away until they are level, So Far Has Worked Great! Much Easier than sanding and painting.:D

Sir Raleigh 07-11-2009 07:22 PM

But harder than adding a small piece of electrical tape... ;-)

Bill

WILDTHAWN 06-17-2011 03:03 AM

Anybody use a hobbyking prop balance

z-matrix 06-19-2011 10:38 AM

i use the audiovisual/ESP duct tape iterating balancer technology
( examine by eye, spin it then listen to the sound, add more tape, substitute with epoxy/weights, iterate... done )
Though accelerometers and microphones can be used.
Z