WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Beginners (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   WLToys F959...sometimes simpler is better! (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76917)

ditchit 01-07-2016 08:32 AM

WLToys F959...sometimes simpler is better!

For anyone wanting to try out RC flight for the first time this thing nails it. I see so my first timers drop out because they crashed their aileron trainer and get discouraged. This simple 3 channel model would give hours of fun and teach them so much about using a transmitter and orientation. I am an experienced pilot but I had great fun for with it...and it's 'cheap as chips'.

I will be GIVING AWAY this test model FREE on my 'Essential RC' facebook group very soon. Join up to get into the draw...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/essentialRC/

Rockin Robbins 01-07-2016 10:32 PM

Wow. Here too. This borders on spam.

First, this is not a suitable beginner's plane, it is a toy.

As a toy it's a ticket out of RC and into another hobby.

A real beginner plane, and there are many good ones, is the Hobbyzone Champ. It is excellently engineered and designed to fly with great flying capabilities by a company which has taught thousands to fly. This one? Don't make me laugh.

The Champ has a full inventory of readily obtainable, reasonably priced replacement parts for EVERY part of the airframe. This one? It's destined for the trash can in a couple of weeks.

The Champ has threads on all the RC internet forums where hundreds will help you learn to fly, maintain and tweak the plane. This toy? One spam post.

If you get a Champ, you'll be starting a hobby where you will have fun for the rest of your life in this great sport/hobby. Buy the toy and you're looking for a new hobby in a couple weeks.

Spend what you have to in order to succeed. That is the cheapest way to begin a hobby. And you'll enjoy your Champ a year from now, three years from now, ten years from now. Because it is a hobby grade, maintainable plane with great performance. There is a minimum price to successfully start this great hobby and it's on the order of $89.95 for a Champ. The Duet is a good beginner plane and is even cheaper.

So please move along. The toy is not what you are looking for if you're a beginner.

ditchit 01-07-2016 10:39 PM

You're not too happy with someone having a different opinion are you.

They are all toys buddy. Bemused as to why you think the Champ isn't. Haven't read anything so funny in ages.

birdDog 01-08-2016 12:15 AM

I started with a Havoc Heli from Walmart. $18 rc vehicle.

This plane looks like fun, removable batteries and most of all is not a drone at 100g. (is that actual ready to fly weight ditchit?)

Rodneh 01-08-2016 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by birdDog (Post 987369)
I started with a Havoc Heli from Walmart. $18 rc vehicle.

This plane looks like fun, removable batteries and most of all is not a drone at 100g. (is that actual ready to fly weight ditchit?)

Sorry, this is a drone.
Any unmanned airborne device is, by definition, a drone.

formontoya 01-08-2016 01:50 PM

While it is now considered a drone it is under the registration weight of 250g if the above is correct.

solentlife 01-08-2016 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins (Post 987365)
Wow. Here too. This borders on spam.

First, this is not a suitable beginner's plane, it is a toy.

As a toy it's a ticket out of RC and into another hobby.

A real beginner plane, and there are many good ones, is the Hobbyzone Champ. It is excellently engineered and designed to fly with great flying capabilities by a company which has taught thousands to fly. This one? Don't make me laugh.

The Champ has a full inventory of readily obtainable, reasonably priced replacement parts for EVERY part of the airframe. This one? It's destined for the trash can in a couple of weeks.

The Champ has threads on all the RC internet forums where hundreds will help you learn to fly, maintain and tweak the plane. This toy? One spam post.

If you get a Champ, you'll be starting a hobby where you will have fun for the rest of your life in this great sport/hobby. Buy the toy and you're looking for a new hobby in a couple weeks.

Spend what you have to in order to succeed. That is the cheapest way to begin a hobby. And you'll enjoy your Champ a year from now, three years from now, ten years from now. Because it is a hobby grade, maintainable plane with great performance. There is a minimum price to successfully start this great hobby and it's on the order of $89.95 for a Champ. The Duet is a good beginner plane and is even cheaper.

So please move along. The toy is not what you are looking for if you're a beginner.

Actually RR ... I know a few people who have these in the car along with their full on 3D gassers etc. It is a proper 3ch RC flyer.

Banggood has been selling these for significant time and it uses same Tx as the WL Quads and Helis ... You can in fact bind to a 9X FlySky radio ... > http://www.banggood.com/WLtoys-F959-...-p-975918.html

I'm not supporting spam on here ... but just commenting that WLToys have been selling various model flyers to some very serious RC People !! I may not be one of those people - but I do have two WLToys models ... the 911 Heli and the V959 Camera Quad ....

Spares are available for most WLToys models via Banggood and other retailers ... motors / props / parts etc..... :>

http://www.banggood.com/search/f959-...are-parts.html

Nigel

Rockin Robbins 01-08-2016 03:21 PM

You make my point for me, Nigel. All those people are experienced fliers who can take a bare hunk of foam, add components and make it fly. He's trying to hawk these things to unassisted newbies who have none of those skills.

If this has a lousy servo the experienced flier can replace it. Anything that isn't decent, the experienced flier can fix. Not so for the unassisted newbie, the victim this guy wants to fleece. Most would probably pretty much strip the plane and substitute better components. For lots of experienced fliers the refit process is part of the fun.

When the unassisted newbie breaks a prop he's done. When a servo buys the farm, probably sooner rather than later, the plane is garbage. A beginner plane should help build the hobby. This plane is an exit door for hapless victims of its cheap charms. And that is a severe disservice to the hobby.

A beginner plane worth consideration for the unassisted newbie must:
  • fly slowly enough and be stable enough that an unassisted newbie can correct a situation, see that he's done the wrong thing and correct that.
  • be durable enough to withstand the inevitable crashes a newbie WILL have
  • have a COMPLETE inventory of AVAILABLE replacement parts for EVERY single thing on the airplane. If a plane cannot be maintained it will be garbage very soon.
  • have fairly large threads on major RC forums with fellow owners able to help learn to fly, maintain and trim the airplane, along with pointers to help the unassisted newbie learn to fly that plane
There are dozens of planes in the hobby that qualify on those four points. Some of them are $59.99 even! But those can teach you to fly. Are they more expensive? Sure. But they can meet their intended purpose. You must spend the minimum amount of money to accomplish your goal or you are just paying to fail. That's no bargain.

And the FAA just classified anything we fly as a drone. The term doesn't mean anything significant any more. This plane would not need FAA registration in order to fly it.

Rockin Robbins 01-08-2016 03:55 PM

Some sample feedback:

• Overall:
  • Price:
  • Quality:
  • Appearance:
  • sky king 959 main wings

By:greg marston 2015-11-11 18:22:06
  • I bought three sets of sky king 959 main wings and one of the wings in each set the wing tips were bent and I had to clue them straight not very happy banggood as I have seen other complaints about the same thing you need to lift your game and stop this happening its not good enough bad packaging they need to take more care of customers product before it arrives to destinationBanggood Reply: Dear customer
    we apologize for any inconvenience to you,about your product problem, our customer service have contacted you, we would give you a solution in time.
  • Comments(0)Helpful? (0)(1)
http://www.banggood.com/newimages/touxiang.png
  • Overall:
  • Price:
  • Quality:
  • Appearance:
  • Bad Packaging Again Banggood, Not Happy!

By:robert brander 2015-09-03 04:20:56
  • Nice replacement wings for the original plane but on good for use in a scratch build. The PROBLEM is with the shoddy unprofessional packaging. One wing tip was broken!Banggood Reply: Dear customer,we apologize for any inconvenience to you,about your product problem, our customer service have contacted you, we would give you a solution in time.

Lots to be desired here. Looks more available than Bananahobbies but about as reliable (not). And only four people have given feedback. Three of them received damaged components.

solentlife 01-08-2016 04:43 PM

FAA has only classified over certain size / weight and anyway OP is not in USA .... spot the 'accent' !

As regards reviews - people will always bleat on when they have trouble ... but people who have no trouble often just go fly ....

As regards being a beginner model - I never agreed with that. For me its too small, too fast .... yes - I come from old school where a 40 size glow model was pretty well standard.

I am not supporting 100% OP ... but am not condemning as WLToys are actually good in their own rights.

Nigel

ditchit 01-09-2016 03:41 PM

I'm giving the review model away in a FREE draw via my Facebook group. Simple details on how to enter in this vid or visit the group.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/essentialRC/

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-90ASYdrKI[/media]