WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Warbird Electrics (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Finished my GWS ME-262.... (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41765)

phil worth 01-18-2009 04:27 PM

me 262

Check the cof g or bad things will happen! try the in flight method of checking. I e put the model into a 3o degree dive power almost off and let go of the sticks if she dives its tail heavy ,rises rapidly nose heavy a gentle level out is the optimum try it works. best of luck ciao phil. ps check cg with model inverted

Bill G 01-19-2009 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by ltbidrawn (Post 546769)
just finished a gws 262. installed big motors and put the esc units in the thrust tubes.
this is the best looking foamie ive ever done/seen.
ive flown it twice.

not very impressed with its flying characteristics. it's got plenty of power but tends to wallow in turns and feels sorta....sloppy.
is this just the way 262s are? i hope not cause this is hands down my favorite plane of its era.

I really liked how well my first one flew, until the BEC gave out. Still haven't flown the secon yet. I thought is was a smooth, stable flyer. I believe I was around 69mm for the CG. Most on the forums seem to reccomend further back, which I tend to disagree with on basically all of the few ARFs and foam kits I've built over the years. I would check where your CG is at, and try 69-70, if your aft of that.

dogsheep 01-21-2009 01:33 AM

Maidened mine, today, with HXT 3700 KV, 24 mm motors-beautiful flyer. The GWS "green wiennies" are worthless.

It's beautiful in the air, and making about 230 watts per side.

Tomorrow, I'm going to open it up!

Bub Steve 01-21-2009 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by dogsheep (Post 548883)
Maidened mine, today, with HXT 3700 KV, 24 mm motors-beautiful flyer. The GWS "green wiennies" are worthless.

It's beautiful in the air, and making about 230 watts per side.

Tomorrow, I'm going to open it up!

Thats sounds Great! I really want one, I love my A-10, What are GWS "green wiennies"::o? bub,:ws: steve

dogsheep 01-21-2009 03:03 AM

The Green Wiennies are the poor quality, weak GWS motors that come with the kit (they have a green "band" to show they are 20 mm, 3900 kv-the really, really suck!)

Bub Steve 01-21-2009 03:10 AM

SheepDogBub::I know somebody on the Ray&Bubs twin thread that needs them for a chuncker Bash ( nice jet too) You want to do something with um???? He's look'in for some to finish his creation!! bub, steve

dogsheep 01-21-2009 03:57 AM

Yeah, tell him to send me a pm.

Geez if you love Honkus!

Bub Steve 01-21-2009 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by dogsheep (Post 549054)
Yeah, tell him to send me a pm.

Geez if you love Honkus!

I'll get up ferya! bub, steve,Thanks!

casor 01-24-2009 10:10 PM

Flying Styro 262 - finally finished

3 Attachment(s)
I have finally finished my 262 with the following mods:
Fan upgrade
Removable nose cone
Motor upgrade
Functional rudder
Custom fan ducts
Full cockpit detail
Removable nacelles
Opening canopy
Removable wing
Refinish, weathering and painted markings

Still have to break in the fans and balance it out.....Any recommendations on balancing? The inst say 80-90mm from the LE at the root.

Bub Steve 01-24-2009 10:33 PM

casor::That things a work of ART!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great job! I hope she flys as well as she looks! bub, steve

casor 01-24-2009 10:53 PM

Me-262

Thanks Steve - I went a little overboard on it since it's one of my favorites.....
Rob

R6_Infantry 01-24-2009 11:29 PM

was thinking of your ME last night as there was a great special on the military chnl on the ME 262, it was way ahead of its time. Lucky for us it came out late.

ltbidrawn 01-24-2009 11:47 PM

beautiful 262

that is quite possibly the most gorgeous 262 ive ever seen.
no, scratch that.
it is the most gorgeous 262 ive ever seen.
beautiful craftsmanship casor.

you're not really gonna fly that, are you?
it belongs in the smithsonian.

casor 01-25-2009 12:24 AM

Me-262

It - Thanks for the nice compliments. I am a diehard wooden model builder, but the ARF's offer a great opportunity to "build" in the form of detailing and modifying. Since most of the work is done for you, I spend my time rearranging the furniture on these things. I look at it like a flying plastic model, which is what I guess it really is.

There is no real "rocket surgery" in what I did to the model, but it does show what you can do with a little effort. The Flying Styro model is surprisingly accurate, so I had something good to start with. I did write an article on it as I was going along, and it may be published in one of the major mags. But it is long - about 3500 words with about 40 photos, so we will see. If nobody wants it, I may post it on the web. I am planning to show the model and some other modified ARFs at the WRAM show in a month in NY.

Yes, it's not an "airplane" until it flies so it will go up. If you look at the Hobby Lobby vid, theirs flies OK and I think my has more "poop" so it should be a winner. The WL figure is about 18 so it is still in the ballpark.
Rob

phil worth 01-26-2009 09:30 PM

me 262

what a cracking job heinz bar would be well pleased. red 13 has something about it. I have an fw 190 and ho229 as red 13 .Well done! ciao phil

casor 01-26-2009 09:59 PM

Heinz Bar

Thank you for the comments. Bar was quite a pilot - I did see his Red 13 Fw. He was killed in a light plane accident after the war - after all that! What kit is your Horton? How about a pic?
Rob

phil worth 01-27-2009 10:28 AM

heinz bar

hi,bar had some war ,shot down 18 times numerous engine failures crash landings etc.A zaukoning trainer got him, spun in from 100' in an "uncrashable" trainer. The horten is from the bell imel plan but modded quite a lot .I built the wood one first and thought," better build a foam so what if it crashes" prototype which now has retracts cockpit detail etc . I will post some pics of various projects tonight . ciao phil

casor 01-27-2009 11:14 AM

To Phil

Phil, you know your Luftwaffe "poop". I would really like to see the Horton, very cool airplane. I got a gigantic book on it last yr with a number of schematics. Too many planes, not enough time. If you do CAD, I have a laser if you need something cut for it.....
Rob

phil worth 01-29-2009 10:14 PM

me 262

5 Attachment(s)
Hi, Some pics of yellow 7 gws 262 and red 13 from the bell imel plan with a few changes.Front mounted fans carbon reinforcement ,retracts, cockpit detail etc 5lb ready to go . Wemotec's het 2w motors. As i said previously built another in foam but like topsy it's just growed! Just finishing a het 262 some detail problems but it should do ok ,will keep you posted ciao phil

casor 01-29-2009 11:09 PM

262 and Horton

Phil - those models look great. Looks like the NASM 262 which I was thinking of modeling but chose Bar's a the last minute. Really like the Horton.....
Rob

phil worth 01-30-2009 10:34 AM

horten

Hi casor, Yes yellow 7 is in the nasm after her beautifull resto. I guess you know about the forthcoming tv programme about the horten brothers? Northrop have built a full size ho 229 for it! arthur bentley has done the drawings for the"Amerika bomber" ho xv111 as well. If you go onto gary heathcotes wings on the web site all will be revealed( well not all but an interesting bit) . No flying here wind wind wind rain.......ad nauseum. ciao phil

Bill G 02-02-2009 06:31 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Nice job Casor. I scratch built 2 Heinz Bar versions. One has been painted over, but the EDF40 version is still Bar.

phil worth 02-03-2009 07:30 PM

me 262

nice red 13 bill ! you must have a hanger to keep them all in, how many are fit to fly? The ju 287 is getting there but work gets in the way ciao phil

K CLOSE 02-04-2009 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by dogsheep (Post 548967)
The Green Wiennies are the poor quality, weak GWS motors that come with the kit (they have a green "band" to show they are 20 mm, 3900 kv-the really, really suck!)

Just asking--are they solid green anodized as well? I have an earlybird kit and I still haven't built it (I'LL GET TO IT, I WILL). The motors I got from EPYAYA are solid green. I hope these aren't those "green wiennies" you are talking about. ::o

dogsheep 02-04-2009 05:05 PM

The Wiennies have a green "band" on the motor leads and the case is blue! Pure D crap.

If you want an HXT alternative, let me know: mine takes off at 1/2 throttle and runs like a scalded dog!