WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight - View Single Post - ferrite ring question
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2012, 06:56 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by craigrs84 View Post
I have a ESC with a switching BEC built in that has a ferrite? ring with the cord wrapped around it to help reduce interference.

I also have a seperate, external UBEC that I am using in place of the built in BEC on the ESC. The UBEC is also switching and also has a ferrite ring... so I have 2 ferrite rings.

My question is do I need them both? Can I remove the ferrite ring from the built in BEC on the ESC since I am cutting the red power cord. I'm guessing there's no need for it if power is not being supplied but wanted to make sure.

Thanks.
It might be that the switching power supply is radiating electrical noise, and the ferrite rings reduce this effect. But, that radiated signal would also be radiated from the INPUT of the uBEC, so it's a good question. It could send switching signals directly into the battery circuit of a receiver though. I've checked the output of a Castle Creations 10 amp uBEC, and it did have a lot of high frequency electrical switching noise on its DC output. My models have 5 of the CC uBEC's on five Spektrum AR7000 receivers, absolutely no bad issues have ever been observed with this combination.

At any rate, the switching power supplies I've checked operate at below about 100 Kilohertz, and as such might be radiating radio noise up into the IF frequencies of a typical 72 Mhz receiver. So, I'd be a little reluctant to use any uBEC on a low quality 72 Mhz receiver. Not that it might not work just fine, just personal policy.

If you're using that uBEC on a 2.4 Ghz receiver, wouldn't worry about it. No switching power supply can radiate electrical noise any where near 2.4 Ghz. (Thats 2400 Megahertz, or 2,400,000,000 cycles per second!)

Page generated in 0.05190 seconds with 10 queries