WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight - View Single Post - Homemade RC Glider
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2019, 10:41 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Hi..... another home design - you have really got hooked into this !!

OK ... Slope Soaring - one of my favourite modes - but sadly where I live is not possible. We have some cliffs along the beachline - but the rise is near vertical and sharp 90 at top - making the lift envelope very narrow and deadly if misjudged.

Looking at your 'hill' - the first that strikes me - is the circular mound profile. This may seem to give you 360 coverage for any wind direction - but in fact may prove less than ideal. In light winds - the air flow is able to divide and most flow round the mound, with only a small part going up and over. As the wind increases - the 'up and over' increases but becomes more fanned out and can lead to side downdrafts.
The lift area of such topo is usually very narrow and limited.

Now we add in your description of the 'ground state' - too rugged and covered with thick vegetation. - The Rugged is not a problem for lift - but given your description of light winds - the vegetation may create low level turbulence.

I have attached a number of pages scanned out of a very good book on Soaring ... apologies to Author ... but it has relevance.

Note Fig 7 ... the round hill.

Motorised is going to be the answer here .... but beware of those dead areas ...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Slope hills.pdf (2.87 MB, 17 views)

Page generated in 0.05034 seconds with 10 queries