Old 02-06-2010, 02:50 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by dirtybird View Post
How do you calculate Rm?
If you can't or don't want to answer this, can you refer me to a book or an article that will tell me ?
When I went thru EE college(60 years ago) they did not have such a device.
They had a 3 phase synchronous AC motor but this appears to be a different motor.
In the description of the motor characteristics Motocalc lists resistance, KV, and no load current. When I changed the resistance from what the HC spec stated to what I measured, the predicted performance characteristics changed significantly.
I am not trying to argue, I just want to get to the bottom of this so I can get accurate performance predictions of these cheap motors
Something I've done over the past few years, is set up a particular motor/prop/esc/battery pack. Then run the motor and prop, checking its current/voltage/watts with a meter such as an Astroflight whattmeter.

Then, assuming the battery is putting out the voltage under load as advertised, I check the actual motor RPM against the motocalc predicted RPM. If they vary substantially, I just save the motor under a different name, then "tweak" the motocalc motor characteristic "KV" number so the motocalc RPM matches the actual motor RPM.

If the battery has a different voltage under load, you can also "tweak" the battery constants to match the real world.

That way, as you change props in motocalc, the predicted RPM's should be a little closer.

Not very scientific, but it gets you a little closer.

Just a note, I've found that sometimes motocalc has the WRONG motor constants, as compared to the motors web pages. This was noted on the Hacker motors several times, as well as Eflites.

Page generated in 0.02979 seconds with 8 queries