WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight - View Single Post - Show Your Scratchbuilt Foamie
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2015, 09:26 PM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by lyvewire View Post
Wow, I must say I am convinced to try a foamy build now. I have been building models from balsa for almost 15 years. I have never tried dollar store foam yet. As for Crash, amazing building skills sir! I read every post from page 1 till the last. I am new to this forum. I saw the link to the modeler scratch foam plans but they are in German? Is there an English version? Also what would you say that the average cost of these things are? I am also new to electric planes as well. (i fly gas usually). I have crashed every single electric balsa plane that I have due to not knowing ESC/MOTOR combo's etc. I have a ton of questions on building foamy planes for sure. Hotglue? not foam safe CA? Were do you get the carbon rods and linkages? Do you cover with Ultracote/monocote? Or paint?

Thanks in advance and there are some great builds on here!!!
Heya lyvewire, im not much of a teacher but i will try to give you some pointers on building with $Tree foam.
For plans i go to RCGroups to get the plans for a lot of my planes.
Here is a link http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851608
As for cost of a plane with out electrics a couple of bucks at the most.
One sheet of foam $1.00
About glue, i use BSI glue which is a contact type of glue that allows you some working time and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Buy it at Headsup Hobby Supply http://www.headsuphobby.com
I sometimes use a little Hot Glue for Holding a glue joint while the BSI sets.
But i use it sparingly as it adds weight to the plane. I also use it for mounting
the motor to the plane.That way if the prop hits the ground upon landing there is very little damage, it just knocks the mount off. Glue it right back on. I don't cover my planes with anything,just apply your paint job and keep it light.
Have fun
Crash

Page generated in 0.04428 seconds with 8 queries