View Single Post
Old 03-08-2008, 03:32 AM
  #8  
E-Challenged
Member
 
E-Challenged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 561
Default My Comet Aeronca Chief Conversion.

My much revered 54" Comet Aeronca Chief crashed after some 8 years of constant flying due to the right wing strut clevis becoming detached from the fuselage otherwise it probably would have flown many more years.
Wings plugged into the fuselage with hooks and rubber bands. Struts with clevises allowed adjustment of dihedral and wash-out Would recommend a single piece wing with functional struts, neater and less fuss.Last power system was a Hobby Lobby Esskay 400XT BL outrunner with 9x5 GWS direct drive prop and TP 1320 3S or 2200 3S lipo, CC P-25. Plenty of power and 20 -30 minute duration. I designed a rather messy looking velcro landing gear cover /wheel pant attachment that functioned well. Cowl was formed from 1/4" balsa sheet with removable top hatch and nosebowl for access to motor. I used 1/8" hardwood for tail surfaces mimicking scale welded tube structure. Taill wheel leg attached to rudder. I did not use ailerons, just two HS-55's for rudder and elevator. These models do most turning with rudder. If you use ailerons, lots of rudder is needed. The model was good at thermalling. 40 minute flights were not uncommon with prop ticking over.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1227.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	58760   Click image for larger version

Name:	comet_54_t.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	58761  
E-Challenged is offline  
 
Page generated in 0.04940 seconds with 13 queries