Thread: A WW1 Forum!!
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2021, 11:28 AM
quorneng
Super Contributor

I was thinking of building a Fokker DVIII, Doing some research I was amazed to find that Fokker had 3 versions built with different wing positions, mid wing (V17) low wing (V25) and the parasol DVIII.
The V17 had a fabric covered wing but the downward view from the cockpit was very poor and was quickly discarded.
The V25 has the same plywood covered wing as the DVIII. It was entered into the second fighter trials in 1918 but was rejected in favour of the parasol wing DVIII which had better all round visibility and gave better protection for the pilot in the event of a 'nose over', Both understandable objections for the period but the V25 was a neat & compact design.
Click image for larger version

Name:	V25rear.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	188612
In many respect it foreshadowed the future design of fighters.

Name:	V25_3viewS.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	188613
But with only 110 none too reliable horsepower from its Oberursel any structural integrity advantages were unnecessary.
Nevertheless I wanted to build a small but scale electric version as a test of my building technique using thin 2mm foam sheet.
First the plan just the 3 view enlarged to give a 26" span which I judged was about the smallest size that would be flyable out doors.

Name:	26inchPlan.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	223.1 KB
ID:	188614
The original thick wing section.

Name:	RootSection.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	188615
I judged the wing would be plenty strong and stiff enough with no spar as such just a shear web.

Name:	RibsComplt.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	235.8 KB
ID:	188616
To save weight it would use a single central aileron servo with external nylon pull/pull lines so there would nothing running through it.

Name:	TopSkinAd.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	188617
The fuselage used the same sort of hollow box stressed skin technique.

Name:	FuseWing.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	214.2 KB
ID:	188618
It was going to use an Emax 2205 out runner. Probably bigger and heavier than really necessary but with such a short nose its weigh was almost necessary and as a final tribute to scale it would also be turning a scale Oberursel inside the cowling.

Name:	6More.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	188619
The completed "engine", It drives an 8x3.5 scale diameter prop on a 2s

Name:	1stPaint.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	188620
Completed.

Name:	CompleteF.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	220.8 KB
ID:	188621
I took a bit of a liberty with the paint. If the V25 had been accepted into production there would have been a fair chance that Fokker would have shipped examples to Holland at the end of the war (as indeed he did with the DVIII) for the Dutch air force so my V25 is decorated in the same style as the Dutch DVIIIs with orange roundels.
Took some mods to get it to fly properly although always a hand full with serious torque from the big prop and very little natural roll stability.
I still have it although now 'retired' it hangs on the wall.

Page generated in 0.08643 seconds with 9 queries