View Single Post
Old 01-14-2016, 09:31 PM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Does the AR636 not have a 'master gain' adjustment? This is useful as a fourth flight mode as well as quickly adjusting overall gain to suit the type of flying.
Well yes but not like you may think.

It has 3 Flight Modes which I control with a 3-position switch on the Aux Channel. You can program any mode however you want.

Within all three modes you have 2 gain settings for each axis known as Conventional and Heading gains. They are independent of each other. Then Conventional and Heading gain can be set as either Absolute or Relative.

Absolute you set with a laptop or cell phone, and once set is fixed. If you set the gain to Relative, then you can adjust it in Flight via Telemetry on the Transmitter. I use the Scroll Bar Roller on the TX to adjust gains in Relative modes.

So in effect I guess you could have 6 modes. As for me:

FM1 is just Plain Jane, no gyros, limited throws with 50% Expo. No adjustments can be made in Flight. It is my SAFE MODE.

FM2 is my Sport Mode. Conventional Gain is moderate with Absolute, and no Heading Gain. Convential Gains are moderate around 20% on each axis wiht Moderate Trows and a little more expo. I cannot adjust gain in Flight because I have it set to Absolute.

FM3 is 3D mode. Conventional gains are set to around 50% and Absolute. Heading gains are turned up to 75% Relative and I can adjust them in flight via transmitter if needed. Throws are at maximum, and Expo at 75%. However I have the plane so tuned in, I can now switch the Heading back to Absolute if I want which will mean I will not be able to adjust in Flight.

It is real flexible and once you get to using it and understand the difference between Conventional and Heading gains is pretty easy to tune in. The trick is to first get the Conventional Gains setup correctly. That is easy to do. Just set up the Conventional Gains as Realative at 100% for all three axis. Before you take off, Roll the gains back to 5% or something low like 10%. Then when in flight turn, get up to desired flight speed, turn up the gain for each axis one at a time until you get Oscillations, then roll back just until the Oscillation stops. Land, record the gains for each axis, and then set them for Absolute and they are locked in. Done

Then repeat for Heading gains which is a bit different. When heading gain is too high the oscillations are much slower, more like a Wobble and you will have difficulty controlling the plane because it will not stabilize. If set too low, the plane will not hold attitude orientation and fall off the axis. I started with Knife Edges and adjusted Yaw until I could fly thumbs off the rudder stick. Then I adjusted Roll axis in a Knife Edge by turning with the Elevator until it was completely decoupled roll. Pitch is easy, go into a hoover.

When dialed in, the plane will hold any attitude orientation you put it in assuming you have enough air flowing over the control surfaces. In a hoover you can fly it like a helicopter. Even vertical take-off and landings, no runway needed. You just have to compensate for the wind.

Page generated in 0.06652 seconds with 8 queries