WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight - View Single Post - Sterling Mambo 48" Electric Powered
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2018, 02:01 AM
E-Challenged

Default Sterling Mambo 48" Electric Powered

I flew a full size Sterling Mambo with single channel rudder only system with rubber wound escapement and .23 glow power back in the 60's and had limited success with it, enough to become nostalgic and to want to build one with electric power.

I downloaded Mambo plans from Outerzone to a flashdrive and took it to a Fedex central office to have plan sheets printed full size. I obtained a Tobe Galloping Ghost actuator from Jay Mendoza in Mission Viejo, CA to give me flapping rudder and elevator. Elevators were added onto the lifting stab. I installed a Scorpion 450 size brushless motor and 3S 2200mah lipo . I added a 2 ounce fishing weight to the nose next to the motor. The model flew but the small Tobe GG actuator was not powerful enough and the model was barely controllable. I removed the GG actuator and installed two small servos to operate rudder and elevator. I grafted on balsa to increase area of the elevator.
The model now is very controllable and loves to crawl along in thermals. Model has translucent red wings and stab and yellow doped slab balsa fuselage and vertical tail. It has original Sterling wing logos made by Callie Graphics . The tail skid makes taxiing "interesting"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0015.JPG (185.7 KB, 157 views)
001.JPG (98.2 KB, 137 views)
IMG_0038.JPG (110.4 KB, 124 views)

Page generated in 0.02918 seconds with 11 queries