WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight - View Single Post - Free Flight to RC Conversion
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2020, 09:56 PM
foxch0844

Exclamation Vintage Berkley Kit

My kids just gave me a 1948 Berkley kit, a Fairchild 24 with 36" wingspan, for my 73rd birthday. It is setup for rubber band flight but I would rather build it for electric RC. I had experience building kits (about 60 years ago) so construction itself is not much of an issue....except it has no ailerons and those will need to be fabricated.
My dilemma is that sizing motors and choosing props seems to be a factor of the finished weight of the plane. So I have a chicken-vs-egg problem. Can't know the weight of the motor, ESC, servos and battery until I get them.....and can't get them until I know what I need. Perhaps I am looking for this to be an exact science and it's not. The completed model is advertised to be 6 oz which sounds low to me. I am planning to skin with Ultracote. Since I can literally build the plane around the electric components I need to have parts to work with.
Any advice on how to proceed is appreciated.

Page generated in 0.04947 seconds with 10 queries