WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight - View Single Post - Dynam Albatros
Thread: Dynam Albatros
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2015, 03:53 AM
WVrailfan

Default Dynam Albatros

I have A Dynam WACO which has turned out to be one of my favorite planes. It is a good size, easy to see, but easy to transport. It flies great and is easy to land.

So when I was looking for a second biplane, the Dynam Albatros DVa seemed a likely choice. It is the same size and can use the same 4s batteries. Judging from the videos on line it is a good flyer also.

I got one, painted it so it doesn't look like every other Dynam Albatros and headed to the field.

Maiden flight was down right scary. I balanced it at the recommended location, but upon takeoff it was obviously drastically tail heavy. I managed a soft crash in the hay field adjacent to our runway, causing only minor damage.

Through trial and error, I have finally got it flying, however it took 5 ounces of lead up front and switching to a larger 3600 battery to get it balanced.

If anyone else is considering this plane, I suggest for the maiden flight add some extra weight to the nose so that it seems nose heavy at the recommended CG and work from there. Also, it takes a lot of rudder with ailerons to get it to turn, so be ready for that.

All that said, it is a very good looking plane, on the ground and in the air. With a little detail work and added rigging, it has a very scale appearance.

It likely won't replace my WACO as my "go to" biplane, but I will take it to the field once and a while for something different.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	6.22.15b.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	247.9 KB
ID:	181145   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.24.15a.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	294.1 KB
ID:	181146   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.25.15cBWb.jpg
Views:	322