Old 08-05-2012, 04:54 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Default Heston Phoenix 36" span from Aeromodeller plans

Well I said I wouldn't start any new builds without getting some of these past builds in the air, but it looks like this place could use a few more build threads, so here it is:

The free plan can be found at and downloaded from outerzone.uk. The plan is not designed for retracts, which required a bit of effort to include. At this point the build is all downhill from here, with the retracts installed and working. The sub wing required to ply main spars to be fabricated, which support the landing gear frame pivot points. The plan has a former in the center of the sub wing which had to be omitted, to allow for the wheels to retract.

The retract installation was easier than I expected, with no problems incurred and works smoothy, which is not always the norm. The most difficult part is that you have to use every bit of useable space in the sub wing for a scale appearance, without increasing the thickness of the sub wing. Looking at the photos below, the servos were installed as deep into the fuse as possible, to the point where the pushrods run against the corner seam where the top edge of the inner sub wing former meets the fuse. The idea here is to increase the effective moment arm on the gear strut as much as possible in the retracted position, so that the pushrod will not jam when extending the gear. This is also necessary to gain as much mechanical advantage as possible to hold the doors closed, as the moment arm becomes minimal at this point.

Derek Martins build, which inspired me to build this ever since seeing it in Flying Scale a few years ago:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Heston_Phoenix_1.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	161751   Click image for larger version

Name:	Heston_Phoenix_2.jpg
Views:	555
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	161752   Click image for larger version

Name:	Heston_Phoenix_3.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	60.2 KB