Old 08-13-2012, 07:39 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

After getting far enough with the project to get a good idea of how this plane will balance, I decided to use a Heads Up Firepower 370 sport outrunner. The geared setup was heavier than necessary to balance the plane, as this plane has a long nose moment. This was all determined while taking into account the added weight of the 1/32" fuse sheeting that will be applied. It may have balanced with a 3s-1320 located behind the retract servos with the heavier geared setup, but I am trying to keep this plane as light as possible. With the lighter outrunner, it appears that the plane will still balance with the batt behind the retracts, although it may end up being more in the 900mah range. The lighter the better, as I've been satisfied with flight times using a 3s-900 in similar sized planes with similar motors. As for the battery location, it should work out well behind the retracts, as it will have a removable floor for tail servo access, and will eliminate the need for a curved door under the cowl area, and have a simple flat door instead.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Heston_Phoenix_14.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	161903   Click image for larger version

Name:	Heston_Phoenix_15.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	161904   Click image for larger version

Name:	Heston_Phoenix_16.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	66.3 KB