View Single Post
Old 01-05-2016, 09:38 AM
Jeuke26

Originally Posted by dereckbc View Post
OK this is not a thread to debate receivers with gyros. I get it some of you think it is cheating and does not allow RC pilots to learn the flying skills. It is thread to share and discuss primarily how to use and optimize the Spektrum AR636 AS3X 6-channel sports receiver. I decided to start the thread because there is not a lot of information to be had on it. Spektrum and Horizon Hobby information on the receiver is pretty vague and does not really explain how to use it. So for my benefit and others I though this might be a good idea to discuss tips, tricks, and basic information on how to use it.

The AR636 Is quite different then it AR635. To start is it has 3 Flight Modes that you can program just about anything required for flight. One great improvement programming is much easier as it can be done with Laptop or Smart Phone. No more blinking lights using your TX to program it. Another interesting feature some may not like at first is your TX is set to default for all flight control surfaces. Rates, Expos, Gains, Channels, Trims, Sub Trims, Wing Type, Tail Type, Ailerons, ect are all done in the RX. Retracts, Lights, Spoilers, Bells & Whistles, and Mixes can be assigned and controlled by the Transmitter. Just no Control Surfaces.

The Manual and Quick Start do a decent job and make it fairly easy to Setup your plane control surfaces. Straight forward just like you would do if using the TX. Where it gets tricky is when you set up the gyros or use the AS3X capabilities. My stumbling block was how to use both Rate Gain, Heading Gain, and Priority. I have some of it figured out. Spektrum says to just experiment to figure it out.

Rate Gain as explained by Spektrum is Conventional Gain meaning it will dampen external force that can move the plane off its 3 axis. Convention Gain will not return the plane to its original heading and/or attitude. It only resist and dampens. On the other hand Heading Gain does return, or at least tries to retain and/or return the plane to the heading and attitude to where it was. This is where I am not sure how the two interact with each other.

I have mine installed in a Precision Aerobatics Addiction X, a 3D model and set up with 3 Flight modes on a 3-position switch, and have been working with it for a couple of months now. My Flight Mode 1 is straight stick and rudder with no AS3X or gyros active, and 50% rates to limit control surfaces. It is my Fail Safe I can revert back to for normal flight control.

Flight Mode 2 I call my Sport Mode. Rates are turned up to 75%, and 20% Conventional Gain on Roll, Pitch, and Yaw axis. It works well and I got that figured out. I can fly at full throttle with no oscillations on any of the axis, and It tames the wind and turbulence.

Flight Mode 3 is where I get a bit confused on how to set it up. My FM3 is what I call my 3D mode. This is where Heading Gain comes into play. What I am not sure about is how Conventional and Heading Gain interact with each other I think. That is the my issue, I do not know for certain. From what I gathered, I think anyway, from Spektrum you use both Conventional and Heading in equal amounts. Example I have mine set up with 50% Conventional and Heading Gain on all 3 axis with Relative turned on. Relative means I can adjust the Gains in Flight with my Transmitter as the AR636 has Telemetry to allow you to do this and see the values on the radio. What I am not crazy about is when you do adjust the gain with the TX, it adjust all 3 axis rather than just 1 you can select.

What gets me confused and has me questioning is why use both Conventional and Heading Gain. Seems to me you would want one or the other, not both. So if anyone can shine some light on that would be appreciated.

I did Optimize my 3D mode to find the maximum gain I can use without surface oscillation I would like to share as a tip. Hope I can explain it well enough. I set up the three modes to control each of the 3 axis.

On FM1 I set up for 100% Conventional and Heading Gain on the Roll axis, and 0% on Pitch and Yaw. On FM2 I set the Roll up like FM1 with 0% on Roll and Yaw. FM3 set up for Yaw. Then right before takeoff I rolled back each of the 3 FM gains to 50% because I knew 100% would create violent oscillations.

Then I take off in FM1 gain some altitude and fly a pass down the runway at throttle and turned the gain up until I seen Roll oscilations, then backed it off until oscillations stopped. Repeated process on FM2 and FM3.

Then landed and recorded the gains from the TX. Then I connected my cell phone to the RX, programmed FM1 to normal stick and rudder only controls as I described above and repeated for FM2 Sport Mode. On FM2 my 3D mode, I set the gains I recorded from the test flight. Worked out to be 45% on Roll, and 60% on Pitch and Yaw.

OK that is my take and if someone can explain how to use both Conventional and Heading gain would be appreciated and any other tips you might have. Like I said this is a Informational Thread to share information between users.

THX

Dereck

Hello Dereck,

Glad to see you started this info thread as I very recently started exploring the AR636 in another plane.

I fly 3D planes and became rather good at it, however, my Extreme Flight 48" Edge is so powerful yet extremely light it's gets thrown around in the wind quite easily making fighting the wind half the lipo time not the most efficient way to improve skills. My bigger Extreme Flight planes have no problem with the wind so I took the AR636 from an abandoned P-51 and wanted to try it in the 48" Edge.

After couple of flights the Rate gains are set to 18% on all surfaces and it makes a big difference in flying at our fields wind conditions.

BUT, the Heading gain is what gives me a little headache and even causes my Edge to crash last weekend.

I set my heading to 100% and to relative so I could alter it trough the TX in flight. HOWEVER, Spektrum says it is only active at center stick so how in the world is it going to hold a Knife Edge? So I tried. I made a nice pass Knife Edge and flipped the switch and...my Edge plummet to the ground just enough reflex to pull full Ele and I slammed on its belly with severe fuselage damage ( but reparable ).

So, to even perform a knife edge one needs to hold rudder input otherwise the maneuver can't be performed. So I switched to Heading and released the sticks to neutral and of course the rudder on the Edge did exactly that not holding the last rudder input to hold the knife Edge. The planes went on its yam axis down and the Heading kicked in and made some kind of new age 3D maneuver I never so but it wasn't me touching the sticks.

So I hope someone can clarify so in the world the so called attitude hold ( heading ) can be achieved when it's only active not touching the sticks but mandatory to hold some input for some maneuvers. The same is for hovering, you need to counteract the torque with aileron input but when releasing the sticks of course the plane starts to rotate and only then the heading kicks in.

Thanks, Philip

Page generated in 0.06179 seconds with 8 queries