View Single Post
Old 01-05-2016, 04:56 PM
Jeuke26

Originally Posted by dereckbc View Post
Phillip I am a bit ahead of you in setting up the RX. There is a Product thread on RCG on the Gyro RX, 140 pages worth, an dI popped in and got some pointers. I can help you set yours up. It is a bit time consuming, as it took me about 10 flights. I know why you crashed. Hopefully I can explain how to set it up good enough so you understand.

First thing is to find the Rate Gains optimum setting first. You were on the right track, but took a few wrong turns and derailed. The RX has 3 Flight Modes. In FM1 set the Rate gain to 100% on Roll axis only, and set it to Relative so you can adjust it when the plane is in flight. DO NOT SET any gains up for Pitch and Roll axis in FM1, leave the gyros turned off for Pitch and Yaw.

In FM2 do the same thing except for the Pitch axis. Leave the other two off. Finally in FM3 set it up for the YAW axis.

Once you havee th eGains set for all 3 Flight Modes, turn your TX and Receive on. DO NOT FLY yet or you will likely crash. Switch through each Flight Mode, and turn the gains down to 0% via your TX. Now take off in FM1 your Roll Gain mode. Get the plane up flying at 3/4 throttle and Increase the Roll Gain up until you see some oscillations. Once you see the oscillations, Roll Back the gain just until the oscillation stops.

Switch to FM2 your Pitch Mode and repeat the process. Then repeat for FM3 your Yaw Mode.

Land the plane, then before you turn the TX and TX off, switch through all 3 Flight Modes and record all 3 Axis gain percentages on paper.

Time to now hook up the RX to your Laptop or Cell Phone. Then on all 3 modes, set your gains to what you recorded for each Axis, and then set for Absolute because you no longer want to change them in flight. They will now be set to optimum and should need no further adjustment.

Now it is time for Heading Gains. Do it just like you did for Rate Gains. Set each FM for one axis to 100% with Relative turned ON. Before take off Roll each back to 0%. Get airborne like before and adjust each axis UP in percentage. If the gain is too low, the plane will not hold Attitude. If the Gain is too high, you will not be able to change Attitude or it will Wobble.. When finnished like before transfer all the Heading Gains to FM3.

Where you went wrong the first time is you set the Heading Gain to 100%. Don't do that or you will CRASH.

OK you should be tuned in now, and have a few oprions to set up your 3 Flight Modes. Her ei show I did mine.

FM1 is Plain Jane or my Safe Flight Mode with no Gyros. AS3X is turned off. I set Throws to 30% to limit surface travel to about 15 degrees deflection either way. Expos are set to my preference of about 30% on each.

FM2 is what I call Sport Mode. I only use Rate Gain of about 20% Absolute on each axis. That allows me to fly Full Throttle with no osculations and turns off the wind. Throws are at 50% which gives me about 30 degrees deflection on control surfaces. Expo is up around 40%.

FM3 is 3D mode. Setting are just where I left them. My Gains are

Roll 55% Rate, 62% Heading, Absolute on both
Pitch 60% Rate, 65% Heading, Absolute on both
Yaw 50% Rate, 70% Heading, Absolute on both.

Take off in FM3 is Thumbs off because it is a Tail Dragger just apply full power. Harriers, Hovering, and Knife Edges are Thumbs Off, just adjust throttle to control vertical speed (altitude).

Only thing I changed was Yaw Heading Gain. I ended up setting it to 80% Relative so I can adjust in flight doing knife edges. When I want High Attack Angle requires a higher Heading Gain to hold with Thumbs off..

Landing is super simple in 3D Mode. Just set the plain in a High Attack Angle Harrier of about 50 to 60 degrees and use the throttle to control descent. You can literally land at 0 Ground Speed setting the tail down gently with the Throttle. You control Ground Speed with the Attack Angle to compensate for the wind. Lower Attack Angle for higher air and/or ground speed, and vice versa for lower air/ground speed.
Thanks Dereck for the extensive answer and I'm glad you took the time to respond. I'm fairly good at 3D flight except for some prop strikes on ( harrier ) landing never had a single crash. However if I would have crashed due to pilot error I wouldn't even bother as it is part of the ( steep ) learning curve. What I don't like is crashing because of electronics failure or programming issues ( in this case obviously my fault ).

Since the control surfaces on those kind of planes are so large I indeed setup Heading at 100% for all controls and I can tell you once you switch to that mode the result wasn't funny to watch.

I will try your approach but have one more question. Once everything is dialed in can you actually fly in mode 3 or do you only flip to that mode once you obtained a certain attitude ( like knife edge in my unsuccessful attempt )? I watched the Spektrum videos saying it is only active one centering the controls sticks on tx but then again doing so also centers the control surfaces. How does the plane "remember" you wanted to perform a knife edge? Or, once programmed correctly, does it kick in at last position the control surface was when centering the stick?

Thanks a lot!

Philip

Page generated in 0.06113 seconds with 7 queries