WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight - View Single Post - What happened to our 4 engine w-birds ?
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2018, 02:24 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Some may have read my posts before about the B17G that my Father navigated from USA / Canada to UK for the movie War Lover ... and my being taken on it after filming before its return to Canada.

This is my Father navigating the B17 to UK :

I still have that Bubble Sextant in its case.

And on one of its refueling stops :

(The cut from the 8mm Video my father took for some reason distorts the aircraft ... )

I always remember - I was very young and had to be lifted into the fuselage ...

Even at such young age - it struck me as so cramped and horrifying to think of being in it and shot at. I had difficulty moving inside especially where the wing roots bulged into the fuselage with a simple wood plank over the framing .. and that huge main spar across the fuselage. I had to be lifted over that.

My Father was very bitter about the 'fiction' that was written about the 3 aircraft ferried over.

He flew in Wellingtons mostly with some tome in other bomber craft - but he always had a soft spot for the Wimpy. But he always said - it was the hardest aircraft to get out of in emergency. That Geodetic construction was great for strength but a disaster if you needed to get out.

Back to 4 engines ... when will someone produce an ARF Lancaster again ??? Cmon you model brands - the world needs a good Lancaster model ... and a Mosquito ... and a Wellington !!

Nigel

Page generated in 0.03337 seconds with 10 queries