Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Goose 3>>> For Scratchbuild Contest # 2

Old 09-06-2008, 05:13 AM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

Default Goose 3>>> For Scratchbuild Contest # 2

Well since my first two versions of my Goose birds(basically my own version of a seaplane) went well(didnt go in water but flew well) i decided to go ahead and make another one for the Scratchbuilding Contest. I dont really expect it to get much votes, but i just wanted to build something real quick(tomorrow) and have it as one of my entrance, since i believe you can enter more than one entry. Anyways this is one of my "mellow" slow flying birds that just looks cool in the air when you watch it flying.

What I really like on this bird is the T-tail i think its cool, i just decided to do the T-tail. Im not sure how exactly ill go about buildling her(as in from the inside of the fuse) one thing is for certain i have to keep her light. Im using a very underpowered powerplant(what i have right now) but i mean if other people built it, they could put in a much more powerfull motor and have a better flying bird. But i'll make sure mine can fly for at least 5mins and go higher than 50ft but thats about the highest ill get.

Well a simple drawing is posted below. I gotta test my motor out tomorrow, go with the best powerplant and battery and then ill get started building. Ill have to do this kinda quick since i have school and i have soo much homework but i gotta build and fly something so im more focused on my homework lol.

About how to start building>>>>> Well i decided that i would start with the hull first, then make the little structure pieces like what you would lay the sheeting on, ill cut out holes and everything to save weight, im hoping that ill make somewhere between 14-16oz. Maybe less. I gotta see if i can get another powerplant. Oh and this wont be a real water version because i have not worked with float design at all yet. But come time for the snow ill be building snow birds lol.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Goose 3.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	77396  
Old 09-06-2008, 05:42 AM
BatteriesIncluded
Ouch

Thumbs up

The Goose in one of my favorites and I always wanted to build one to bring with me when I go to my friends lake house so I'll be watching this one. I built a Pelican last year but it has problems nosing into the water on ROW. The Goose has a higher nose so might do better. I also fly my super cub on floats but find it hard to steer on water. Will this include a water rudder of some sort? I'm subscribed.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:46 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Subscribed
Old 09-06-2008, 03:43 PM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

Ahhh im not sure... lol well i guess i should opt it for actually being used in the water, i definitely do need to find a powerplant of some sort, maybe if i can run the outrunner smoke gave me with one of my props i could make a mini version. The problem is is that i dont have a strong enough powerplant to even take off of water, but i'll still waterproof it, make the step and all that, then i'll taxi it on our little mini pond. LOL this is going to be cool. My two other goose(s) werent built for water here are videos bellow:

Here is a video of the Goose 2 in flight, it wasnt meant for water, at the end you'll see pics of the Goose 1 it didnt have a rounded fuse.
http://www.vimeo.com/1439947

and AV video from Goose 1
yeah the quality sucks because the camera fell in the drink lol, but on sunny days its pretty good.

This video was going to be part of my entry to the Low level AV contest but i didnt have enough material plus the quality wasnt great but i loved the grape buzzing pretty sweet.

http://www.vimeo.com/1426562

But yeah, we'll have to see if this bird can fly off of the water and also if it will even get on step like i said ive never worked with seaplanes before.

Also im going to change the hull design, as in make the V less steep so that it can just glide across the water with minimal drag, and use less thrust to get up on step. It wont look exactly like my drawing(as my plans never do lol) but itll be close, i'll see what i can do with a rudder. This will be just a simple rudder/elevator bird, but i think ill use a 3rd servo for a rear rudder.

Also later on like really later on when i get two equivalant outrunners, ill do Goose # 4 which will have plenty of power and will have two engines. Ill probably build this and then go onto building my Tandem X twin plane.

Name:	Tandem X Twin.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	77443  

Last edited by GreenAce92; 09-06-2008 at 03:58 PM.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:16 PM
BatteriesIncluded
Ouch

Nice flying field and nice video. Watch out for those power lines. ROW is a bit of a different beast but it's cool to see it rise off the water and it makes a great landing strip. You'll need to widen out the fuse, add the step, don't forget a keel. My difficulties with the pelican involved it nosing into the water and throwing water into the prop when it got up on step. I could make it ROW only if I made it a little tail heavy and then I would have to wrestle with it to keep it from porpoising and ballooning in flight. She would only fly level with very little throttle and some down elevator. I used a brushed motor with a 6x5 prop. The motor is on overstock sale for cheap. Of course, if you use BL it will lift off quickly but I just wanted to use some old electronics I had lying around. It still makes a great plane for for hand launching and flies much like your Goose 2. Here is the link to the motor:
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...58&pid=T257344
Old 09-06-2008, 04:30 PM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

Wow.. lol thats like no thrust at all! How much did your plane weigh? less than 10oz? I mean because with an EPS300C on a 10x4.7 prop you can get up to 12 or more oz of thrust. I made plenty of slow sticks with this setup. yeah im going to start building here very soon, just gotta get some Breakfast. Then ill finish this bird, ill see if i can fly it with a handlaunch today its kinda raining, sprinkling at the moment. But yeah man i love to see these birds fly. Im into the high wing biplane like look. Im going to have to see what thrust i have to fly on, im planning on using a Speed 400 on a direct drive 5x4.7 APC prop(this is a cut down prop from a 10x4.7 APC prop) should be a fun build though.

BTW the pelican looks pretty slick man, any more details on her?
Old 09-06-2008, 05:04 PM
BatteriesIncluded
Ouch

Originally Posted by GreenAce92 View Post
Wow.. lol thats like no thrust at all! How much did your plane weigh? less than 10oz? I mean because with an EPS300C on a 10x4.7 prop you can get up to 12 or more oz of thrust.
BTW the pelican looks pretty slick man, any more details on her?
Yeah it was 10.2 oz AUW and almost 3oz of that was the battery LOL. The prop was a 7x6 (just checked) and not a 6x5. Not much better for thrust though. Had to fly it in very light or no wind. It was underpowered for ROW but flew great as a chucker. It used to be sold as a kit from FoamFly.com (Dan Schwartz). I enquired a ways back if he was going to make plans available and as it turned out he was working on them but not complete. He sent me what plans he had ready so that I could do the build and report back to him if I found any problems. I gave him plenty of feedback and he made some corrections. The plans are available here:
http://www.foamfly.com/product.php?p...1&bestseller=Y
I started a thread here that I never finished on the build.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18826
Old 09-06-2008, 05:15 PM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

Wow that looks great man! The blue FFF is defenitely much more bendable than the Pink FFF. Nice job! i like your little razor idea lol

Ah man the hull construction is a little hard, because i didnt make any plans that had specific angles on them, so the ramp part that makes the front of the hull, the two traingles that make it they have different angles so that when they are joined together they still make a straigth line. Its a little challenging.

Oh note that this isnt a goose from plans, i just drew up this pland and am attempting to build it.

Last edited by GreenAce92; 09-06-2008 at 06:25 PM.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:25 PM
BatteriesIncluded
Ouch

Wow that looks great man! The blue FFF is defenitely much more bendable than the Pink FFF. Nice job! i like your little razor idea lol
Your Goose 2 seems to fly really nice. I just wanted to give you some ideas for how to widen the fuse if you do decide to ROW. You could also use a monobloc fuse:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=24
Maybe you could use it to make a sort of V hull? One other thing I added to the pelican was pontoons on the wings to prevent the wind from blowing the wingtip into the water. Either way I can't wait to see the build!

Name:	g-21_GIF.GIF
Views:	140
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	77449  
Old 09-06-2008, 07:48 PM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

Well here is what i have so far pics are posted below. Its starting to look less and less like what i had orginally planned lol. The step is really small. It was a really bad idea to build this with just a guess, because its not a square fuselage(well it is flat not round) but im saying it has many angles and the components had to all have angles to fit right with the other parts of the plane sooo yeah... im having alittle trouble but i will get her done, but she wont be a full total sea plane, i mean i could try it, ill make sure she's waterproof but i doubt ill have enough power. But i promise she will fly.

Name:	P1010550.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	77452   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010551.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	77453   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010552.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	77454   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010553.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	77455   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010554.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	77456  

Old 09-06-2008, 08:58 PM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

Well now she's starting to look like a boat!

Only she looks like a fast boat not a slow one lol

Name:	P1010555.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	77464   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010556.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	77465   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010557.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	77466   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010558.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	77467  
Old 09-06-2008, 09:51 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Good start, Ace. Be sure and post a link in the contest thread.

Chellie will like your Goose because it is pink.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:53 PM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

Cool thanks! I just got her Feet wet lol i put it in the creak and took 2 pics, it floats nicely lol, of course it's empty but i mean it didnt even sink for massive displacement. yeah its not really a weird looking or awesome bird but i just had to build/fly something in between school brakes. Ive got more pics ill edit in on this post.

Ill post the link too in the Contest Thread

Name:	P1010559.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	277.9 KB
ID:	77471   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010560.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	265.9 KB
ID:	77472   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010561.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	268.7 KB
ID:	77473   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010562.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	77474  
Old 09-06-2008, 10:53 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Rabbitcreekok View Post
Good start, Ace. Be sure and post a link in the contest thread.

Chellie will like your Goose because it is pink.
Yes i am watching this one very close
Old 09-06-2008, 10:54 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Cool thanks! I just got her Feet wet lol i put it in the creak and took 2 pics, it floats nicely lol, of course it's empty but i mean it didnt even sink for massive displacement. yeah its not really a weird looking or awesome bird but i just had to build/fly something in between school brakes. Ive got more pics ill edit in on this post.

looks great GreenAce, keep up the good work, Chellie
Old 09-06-2008, 10:59 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

if your going to be lanching it from water, you will need 2 pontoons on the wing tips, to stabilize it, to keep the wing from dipping into the water, just my 2 cents worth, Looking good, Chellie
Old 09-06-2008, 11:06 PM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

Uhhh... yeah... about the flying lol.... already had some bad stupid mistakes take her down lol. I definitely need more power, but im going to try the 7cell battery on her more rpms, i balanced the prop so she spins faster and stabler. Only problem is its the speed 400 on a 4ish now prop lol so i will probably need to make bigger wings or something to get her to fly. Abotu the water part, i tested her on water and i was surprise to see how easy it was to get the bird moving, i mean at idle throttel(lowest it goes without stopping) she moved across forward almost at walking pace im like wow..... maybe float flying doesnt take too much power at all. I think my step design/hull construction is wrong so she would not work well in water. Ill see if i can get her to fly. Im chargin the battery.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:16 AM
BatteriesIncluded
Ouch

Looking really good! Your a fast builder. Hey, strap enough power to it and it will take off from water even without a step ! Flying boats are lotsa fun. You get an air boat and something that flies all in one. Wait till you do touch and goes or should I say skip and goes.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:54 AM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

LOL yeah skip and goes about that.... hehehe

yeah im just going to put the airframe away somewhere i believe it can take off from the water, i just need the right powerplant. Now im trying to build something that will fly my powerplant. Its somewhat challenging.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:33 AM
RickAvery

That's looking very nice!!! You must have some time on your hands. Good job!

Rick
Old 09-08-2008, 11:37 PM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Good luck with your entry there GA
Old 09-21-2008, 06:35 PM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

THE BL AND LIPO Version of Goose 3 minuns T-tail

it flies!!! and on stock weight no onboard camera it flies on 1/3 throttle...

[media]http://www.vimeo.com/1780025[/media]
Old 09-21-2008, 06:58 PM
BatteriesIncluded
Ouch

Good job! Looks like a real floater and a nice flier. What's the AUW?
Old 09-21-2008, 07:09 PM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

Uhh...not too sure yet... later on ill build real float planes, they'll still be cool looking but they'll actually function on the water and off. Also Ski planes... prolly i can build floatplanes and fly off the ice. Its kinda fast, even on deadstick it goes fast. Im guestimating around 20oz or under... i cant go vertical with it...
Old 09-21-2008, 08:25 PM
BatteriesIncluded
Ouch

Uhh...not too sure yet... later on ill build real float planes, they'll still be cool looking but they'll actually function on the water and off. Also Ski planes... prolly i can build floatplanes and fly off the ice. Its kinda fast, even on deadstick it goes fast. Im guestimating around 20oz or under... i cant go vertical with it...
Floater as in while flying LOL

Quick Reply: Goose 3>>> For Scratchbuild Contest # 2

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.13400 seconds with 30 queries