3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

Glossary Of 3D Flight Terms?

Old 05-24-2012, 12:32 AM
NFA Fabrication

Default Glossary Of 3D Flight Terms?

I am new to 3D planes (I am the proud new owner of a 48" 3DHS Edge 540). I have been flying a bunch, and am getting better, but the 3D terminology used on the forums is mostly giberish to me. Is there a glossary of 3D flight terms anywhere? I know a few of the terms, but I don't know what tricks I am doing, because I don't know what the're called! LOL!

Old 05-24-2012, 04:18 AM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

Originally Posted by NFA Fabrication View Post
I am new to 3D planes (I am the proud new owner of a 48" 3DHS Edge 540). I have been flying a bunch, and am getting better, but the 3D terminology used on the forums is mostly giberish to me. Is there a glossary of 3D flight terms anywhere? I know a few of the terms, but I don't know what tricks I am doing, because I don't know what the're called! LOL!

BoneDoc has an excellent summary of the maneuvers here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=904349

But from the top of my head:

Harrier - High alpha flying, i.e. high angle of attack. Typically slow and with the main wings partially or completely stalled. Can be done upright or inverted.
Rolling Harrier - Same as a harrier, but with a constant roll. Requires alternating control inputs to keep plane in high alpha.
Hover - Plane is stationary in the air hanging on the prop just like a hovering helicopter.
Torque Roll - Usually refers to a hover with an axial roll, typically in the same direction as the "torque roll" induced by the motor and prop.
Elevator - Plane falling straight down like a "pancake", usually induced by stalling, cutting power and applying full or almost full up elevator.
Parachute - Dive or axial spin that transitions into an elevator, giving the impression of a deploying parachute.
Knife Edge - Flying with the wings vertical. Lots of rudder needed to maintain altitude.
KE (Knife Edge) spin - Dive while model is spinning around the axis of the main wings.
Blender - Kind of a mix of a flat spin and a KE spin. The nose follows a straight line and the tail is spinning around like the knife of a blender.
Flat spin - Plane is falling flat while spinning. Kind of like a leaf falling. Can be done inverted or upright.
Pop top - Fly a vertical up line, snap the plane around and end with a couple of turns of a flat spin before the plane starts losing altitude again.
Snap roll - Quick roll induced by quick rudder input stalling a wing while applying aileron.
Wall - Quickly entering a vertical up-line.
Waterfall - The opposite of a Wall. Quickly entered vertical dive.

Please fill in more and correct me where I'm (inevitably) wrong.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:14 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

The first four items on your list are the ones i have the trouble with.. they require skill wheareas most of the others just require the sticks to be banged about from one corner to the other, which i can do

A couple of slight amendments:..

Blender: a vertical diving axial roll that transitions into an inverted flat spin (great fun, very spectacular and not at all difficult)
Waterfall: a forward tumble where the plane rotates almost about the CG with the wings horizontal

Here's a short vid I shot on Monday with a keychain cam looking back over the tail of my Ultimate AMR biplane. The first manoeuvre is a poorly executed pop top, then I do a dive into a parchute and at 30 seconds that's a KE spin.. Just imagine if real planes could KE spin like that, they would have to squeegee the pilot off the canopy

Last edited by JetPlaneFlyer; 05-24-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:00 AM
NFA Fabrication

Thanks for the replies! This thread will definitely become a wealth of knowledge for me! I can do a few of these things, just didn't know what they were called!
Old 05-27-2012, 09:30 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Lomchevak ?

I believe named from the polish for crazy drunken antics ?
Old 06-03-2012, 08:24 PM
sam94

Another term for 'Hover' is the 'Prop Hang'.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:47 AM
Paulo69

Anyone want to put pencil to paper and illustrate all these ?
Sure would make it easier for the guys starting out ... a field-side "manual" of sorts
Old 06-05-2012, 01:09 AM
sam94

Originally Posted by Paulo69 View Post
Anyone want to put pencil to paper and illustrate all these ?
Sure would make it easier for the guys starting out ... a field-side "manual" of sorts
I think i may have a go at doing this, but ill open a new thread
Old 06-05-2012, 02:04 PM
sam94

Here we are: http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67018