Takeoff from bumpy grass yard? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Takeoff from bumpy grass yard?

Old 02-26-2017, 12:54 AM
craigrs84

Default Takeoff from bumpy grass yard?

I have the E Flite Taylorcraft 450. I'd like to fly it at my grandparent's farm where they have a large grassy area. The ground has some bumps and grass is probably mowed to about 2.5 - 3.0 inches.

Are there any special wheels I can order that would allow me to take off under these conditions with a lightweight model like the taylorcraft? I currently have 2.5" inch wheels but when I tested it in my own yard it gets stuck very often and noses over so that the prop hits the ground.

Can you recommend brand and size? Thanks.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:22 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

remove the wheel covers and get some large balloon style wheels like seen on real planes that land on rough ground. find a video of planes like yours that are real and scale from there. your wing span is plenty to be able to take off in 2-3inch grass.
Images of rc balloon tires

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFaBtlV-P2k

Jump to: navigation, search https://www.rcplanet.com/E_Flite_Tun...efl1045012.htm

Maule M-7-235C on bushwheel-style tundra tires
A tundra tire (UK: tundra tyre) is a large low-pressure tire used on light aircraft to allow operations on rough terrain.[1]

A common variant of tundra tire is the bushwheel. These tires include an integral inner tube with the valve manufactured into the side-wall, allowing the tire to operate at very low pressures without risking shearing-off the valve stem and causing a flat tire. Low-pressure tires provide greater cushioning and enable aircraft to land on rough surfaces, unsuitable for normal tires.[2][3] Bushwheels are a common
Old 02-26-2017, 01:51 AM
birdDog
Charging....

Great Vid!
Old 02-26-2017, 06:10 AM
craigrs84

I ordered the Dave Brown 4.5" foam wheels.

Perhaps a little on the large side for a model this size but I wanted to go bigger rather than smaller. Fingers crossed that this works. I guess it's only $12 lost if it doesn't.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:19 AM
birdDog
Charging....

Another option could be positioning the wheels forward.
My experience in flying off grass is that the aerobatic planes perform the best. Many of the designs have the wheels places well forward of the CG. We use no wheel pants and still run oversized wheels on the smaller models. The 3D/aerobatic planes offer large tail surfaces for "blowing" he tail down and generally offer greater amounts of thrust. When the grass really gets out of hand, you can basically punch the throttle and with some fancy control work get on top of the grass and then get in the air in a short distance.

As a last resort, there s always hand launch/belly landing.