FAA Registration Required? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

FAA Registration Required?

Old 03-06-2017, 03:17 AM
craigrs84

Default FAA Registration Required?

I'm confused on whether or not I need to register my planes with the FAA.

I own two very basic 4 channel planes weighing around 2 lbs.

The language the FAA uses is "drones"; I'm unsure if my planes fall on this "drone" category. What is their legal definition of a "drone"?

Can anyone help answer? Thanks!
Old 03-06-2017, 06:01 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

It applies to all remotely controlled aircraft over 0.55lb. On the FAA web site the word they use is sUAS (Small Unmanned Aircraft System)
https://registermyuas.faa.gov/
Old 03-06-2017, 07:09 AM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/Part_107_Summary.pdf

http://jrupprechtlaw.com/myrupprecht...istration-rule

"The Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration shall carry out all safety studies necessary to support the integration of unmanned aircraft systems into the national airspace system.
SEC. 336. <<NOTE: 49 USC 40101 note.>> SPECIAL RULE FOR MODEL AIRCRAFT. (a) In General.--Notwithstanding any other provision of law relating to the incorporation of unmanned aircraft systems into Federal Aviation Administration plans and policies, including this subtitle, the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft, or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft, if-- (1) the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use; (2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community- based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization; (3) the aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a community-based organization; (4) the aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft; and (5) when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of an airport should establish a mutually-agreed upon operating procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport)). (b) Statutory Construction.--Nothing in this section shall be construed to limit the authority of the Administrator to pursue enforcement action against persons operating model aircraft who endanger the safety of the national airspace system. (c) Model Aircraft Defined.--In this section, the term ``model aircraft'' means an unmanned aircraft that is-- (1) capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere; [[Page 126 STAT. 78]] (2) flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft; and (3) flown for hobby or recreational purposes."
Old 03-06-2017, 01:18 PM
Bald Paul

Technically, you don't register your planes. You register yourself. All your planes will carry the same FAA number.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:34 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

I made labels with the smallest font possible. Tape them inside cabin . You could also simply label all the lipos you use. I doubt we'll ever see surprise inspections.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:56 PM
Bald Paul

Callie Graphics makes both AMA/FAA ID labels, or just FAA numbers. Very reasonably priced, and excellent quality.
Remember, the FAA number must be somewhere accessible without the use of tools, so if your battery hatch or wing is held in place with bolts of some sort, and you need a screwdriver or allen wrench to access the inside cabin or lipo, you're not legal.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:00 AM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

I did the same, just added my FAA number to the labels I was already putting in my planes per the AMA Safety Guidelines.

And I've heard of at least two flying sites that have had FAA folks there asking about registrations.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:34 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Thanks to an independent lawyer type, John Taylor, nobody has to register any drones any more. It is unknown whether our RC airplanes are still classified as drones. But:

Free at last. Free at last. Thank God almighty we're free at last!
Old 06-21-2017, 07:48 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

One correction...If I may Robbins......Craft considered under the "current" FAA Guidelines as "hobby", are "currently" exempt from registration. Flying locations of "hobby craft" guidelines/rules, are still under Local Jurisdiction Authority.......
Old 06-23-2017, 08:54 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Of course I'm considering that we are hobby, not commercial fliers and I realize we still have to obey the law but at least we're no longer considered in the same class of people as sexual predators having to register for the rest of our lives.