Help needed with toy store foamie glider rc edf conversion - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Help needed with toy store foamie glider rc edf conversion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-03-2018, 02:39 PM
Jimigunne

Default Help needed with toy store foamie glider rc edf conversion

I am converting a foamie glider with 48in wingspan (swept) that hobby lobby sells--- i think wal mart, too--- to electric rc. Its for flying in a grass park. So no wheels, it will just belly in. With elev and rudder servos and flysky 6 ch receiver, it weighs 16 oz. I installed an edf motor on top of fuselage at about center of gravity so dont have to worry about prop damage. It's a qf2611-4500kv 64mm, 26.5 gram thrust edf on top with a 2200mah 3s lipo battery. The battery, edf and 35 amp esc weigh about 10.5 ounces. Well this proved to be WAY underpowered. When hand launched at full throttle it just dropped like a rock! I think even switching to an 1100 mah pak, it wont fly! I am trying to fly model with total weight of 26.5 oz with a 26 gram thrust edf? No wonder. Looked up the actual thrust spec after attempted hand launch, no wonder it didnt fly.
What edf and lipo batt do i need for goodhand launched performance?