Proctor Mini Antic - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Proctor Mini Antic

Old 02-18-2020, 03:48 AM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Default Proctor Mini Antic

I just finished building a new (old kit) Proctor Mini Antic. 56" wingspan came out at 5.4lbs and I used an E-flite power 46 motor, 60 amp ESC, with two 4s 2200 mah batteries in parallel. Balanced perfectly with both batteries pushed to the firewall under the curved front fuselage.
Proctor kits are a joy to build if you love building like me, or they are a real pain-in-the rear if you don't.
I have the plans somewhere for the Proctor design floats for the larger Antic and I am going to scale them down for this plane.
Cream colored Super Coverite was used and it handled great. Roundels were made by Callie Graphics to the size I wanted them.
I built this plane for a Winter Build Challenge we have every year in this area. I have to do the maiden at the get together on May 30 to be eligible for some extra prizes.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished Antic. 2.jpeg
Views:	11
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	187874   Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished Antic.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	187875   Click image for larger version

Name:	Antic 04.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	871.8 KB
ID:	187876   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rudder pinned up.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	861.0 KB
ID:	187877  
Old 02-18-2020, 10:58 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Great looking plane Dave.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:14 PM
quorneng
Super Contributor

Wildflyer
That wing construction looks extremely scale.
What are the main cross braces made of? What ever they are made of it gives a very good impression of wire bracing.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:24 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

They are very small rattan pieces colored black with a permanent marker.
You drill a small hole and then cut the rattan ust so that it will float in the holes without hitting the bottom of both at the same time.
Then they must be glued with Duco cement. The Duco shrinks as it drys and pulls the rattan tight, so you have to do both angles at the same time or it will slightly twist things.
The fuselage has the same pieces in all of the open squares behind the covered two squares, and from top left to bottom right longerons and of course the other way also. Gets quite tight trying to get my fingers inside the frame work, wish I had thought to put the inside ones in first.
The ribs are 1/32 plywood with 1/32 ply cap strips on them. You must put the cap strips on the ribs before building or it would be a terrible job later, and basically the cap strips hold the trailing edge in place.
I built several little jigs to hold the ribs in the same place as I trimmed the cap strips in a tiny 2 1/2 blade table saw. Everything must be trimmed to the SAME point or things will NOT line up later.
One interesting thing on these planes. The wing tips are larger rattan, it is just the stem of a plant. If you put it in very hot or boiling water, it will turn into a piece of wet spaghetti, then you tie it to a form like for wing tips and when it dries out it will be very strong and the shape you want it to be, I think you could tie it in a knot and then let it dry out.
I also have the Mini Antic Bipe kit, The full size Antic kit, and The Nieuport 28 C-1, it is almost ready to cover, but I want to add a bunch of scale details inside the fuselage before I cover it. My father was building it when he passed away 22 years ago. I will finish it in his honor.
If you want to see some of the best kits on the market. Some of these are Museum Scale kits, if the real plane had a certain part, it will be in the model. Like I say, You better love to build, you will not toss one of these together in a couple of weeks.
Go to http://www.proctor-enterprises.com/