Can someone recommend a charger? - Page 2 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Can someone recommend a charger?

Old 05-07-2013, 05:54 PM
road king 97
old hat

I have seen people talk about how they like their I chargers but i have never owned one. http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...rger-106b.html here is a thread on lipo care ,one thing caught my eye was not to use cheap chargers. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...61&postcount=1
Old 05-07-2013, 06:26 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

"Most people have got used to that happening and we just ignore and pass on by !!"

Only mentioned it since it was posted in the "beginners" section....lol.....the advise that has been given is sound logic........having had my own personal experiences with "high end" charges.....but since I do not charge lipo's larger than 4 cell and seldom have a need for parallel capacity.....the $50.00 tool mentioned has served the purpose just fine for +5 years without a hitch....and has many of the bells and whistles suggested previously........on a budget!
Old 05-07-2013, 06:58 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by mattman0182 View Post
You get what you pay for, the 'best' one is of course the most expensive. For UM batteries it really makes no difference, any of those chargers could max out the charge rate on even several UM batteries. On the other hand for the typical 3s 2200mAh parkflyer battery if you have a few to charge at the same time then the 400W charger would allow you to charge them together on a parallel charge board in much less time than the other chargers would take.

To get the benefit of the more powerful charger you would need a power supply with at least matching power output and 15 to 18V .
Old 05-07-2013, 07:14 PM
road king 97
old hat

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
You get what you pay for, the 'best' one is of course the most expensive. For UM batteries it really makes no difference, any of those chargers could max out the charge rate on even several UM batteries. On the other hand for the typical 3s 2200mAh parkflyer battery if you have a few to charge at the same time then the 400W charger would allow you to charge them together on a parallel charge board in much less time than the other chargers would take.

To get the benefit of the more powerful charger you would need a power supply with at least matching power output and 15 to 18V .
At some point i throw up my hands and say go buy the cheapest one you can find and then let us know later how that worked for ya.lmao I have over 10 batterys just for my seaplane and then there are 5000size , 3200's 2200's 1500's and my smaller ones.I have been in electrict for 3 years. I cant afford to burn up or not get full use out of my batterys so i bought the best charger i could afford . Good post Jetflyerplane . joe
Old 05-09-2013, 02:22 AM
craigrs84

thanks for all the feedback. I'll look over these responses and try to make a decision.

p.s. how do I know what charge rate to use with my batteries. I saw a couple people mention 3C charge rate.

Here is the battery I have:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=6306

Does it support 3C charge rate or is a cheaper battery?

Last edited by craigrs84; 05-09-2013 at 02:37 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:02 AM
Turner
Super Contributor

Look on the battery. Most of my Hobby King LiPos have a sticker on the back with the maximum rate.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:48 AM
craigrs84

Thanks all. I'm probably going to go with the iCharger 106B. I think I can charge my current batteries at a 2C rate.

I think, according to this site, http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-battery-chargers.html, charging 1 of my batteries at a 2C rate would require 55 watt. I assume I'd just double that (110 watt) for parallel charging 2 batteries.

So if I interpreted all of that correctly, that puts me more in the range of the 106B with some room to grow, and I'm more or less comfortable with the price - special thanks to JetPlaneFlyer.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:01 AM
RihhanaNZ

I've heard the iCharger brand is good, but I'm not sure if the 106B+ (250 watt) is overkill for me or not.
I used iCharger; found it reliable and efficient indeed. A worth buying stuff, never had any issues with it.

Last edited by RihhanaNZ; 05-20-2013 at 08:20 AM.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:31 PM
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

I am very confused as to what wattage of the charger translate into what charging time.

The ultramicro bats are obviously no big deal.

The biggest batteries I will probably ever charge are thos similar to what is found in the PZ Trojan BNF. I will be purchasing more bats for it, likely some sort of Turnigy as those have been great in my UM-p40 and Champ.

ugggh I suck at decisions sometimes.

That 400W charger will take a $65 power supply at least. As far as I know.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:49 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

I'm powering a > 1000W charger with a $20 power supply, which is simply a couple of converted computer server PSU's (same unit as often sold for charger power supply but just did the conversion myself which is minimal work).

For the 400W charger one server PSU (10-15 $) would be good enough and that way there is no work to do to the server PSU other than solder on the wires.

If you have a few 1800 - 2200mah 3s 'parkflyer' batteries that you want to charge quickly and all together then parallel charging and a powerful charger with high amp output is a must.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:19 AM
road king 97
old hat

I am very confused as to what wattage of the charger translate into what charging time.

The biggest batteries I will probably ever charge are thos similar to what is found in the PZ Trojan BNF. I will be purchasing more bats for it, likely some sort of Turnigy as those have been great in my UM-p40 and Champ.

Most chargers will charge one at a time at the same speed because you can only charge them at what is rated on the battery. What some here are talking about is hooking two or three batterys together and charging them but by hooking them together at a higher charging rate. This means you can raise the charging rate and charge 2 or three at once. They have other chargers with multi charging ports and i just bought a hitek one that will charge 4 batterys at once each independent of each other. I also had to buy a big power source for my home or i can use it off of batterys at my field. I would buy a nice single port charger at a decent price and just charge / balance one battery at a time for now and when you need a bigger better charger in a year or so then get a bigger one and then you can charge with both of them ,your new and old one. I have read good things about the I charger and some here have ones they recomend. I have out grown my old great planes lipo charger and i had another cheap 0ne . For now i would find one you can plug into AC at home and hook to a battery at the field. I hope this helps joe
Old 05-21-2013, 03:17 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

OK

Lets assume you have a three cell LiPo battery rated at 2200 Mah. And, assume you want to charge this battery at a safe one hour charge time.

So, this would take a charge current of 2200 milliamperes (or 2.2 Amps) for one hour. (That's 2200 milliampere hours, or 2.2 Amp Hours)

Now, you also have a three cell battery, and each cell has to reach about 4.2 Volts DC. For three cells, that's 4.2 times three, or 12.6 Volts DC.

And, watts is equal to volts times Amps, or 12.6 Volts times 2.2 Amps. That comes out to 12.6 X 2.2 or 27.7 Watts. That comes out to about 30 watts for each three cell, 2.2 Amp Hour battery you are charging. So three in parallel comes out to about 90 watts.

Another example, a two cell 1200 Mah Lipo requires 1.2 amps times 4.2 Volts times two cells, or 10 Watts.

Simple formula, charger watts equals number of cells, times Amp Hour rating of cells, time 4.2 Volts. CW = (Cells) X (Amp Hrs) X (4.2 VDC) This would apply for a charge rate equal to the batteries Ampere Hour rate, which comes out to "1C".
(As for what "C" indicates in our batteries, take a look:http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65869)

For the power supply to run that charger, these chargers run somewhere around 80% efficiency. So, if you have a charger running at 90 watts, divide 90 Watts by 0.8 for a power supply rating of 112 watts or so.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:23 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

The days of being stick with 1c charge rate are, i'm pleased to say, behind us. All half decent batteries these days have a charge rate of 3c and higher, up to 10c (and more) in some cases. I think we all have better things to do than to babysit a bunch of batteries for hours on end while we trickle charge each one at 1c, life really is too short for that.

For my money the high power chargers and parallel charge boards (and/or multi outputs) are the way to go. IMHO chargers are a bit like transmitters in the best advice is to buy the best one you can stretch to.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:05 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

I've had my iCharger 106B w/350W PS for over 2 years and not a glitch.

The guys at Progressive were very helpful:http://www.progressiverc.com/ . A lot of guys are using DIY PC Power supplies. Of course. the heli guys are charging 6S and more.

When I got back into the hobby and into the world of electrics, our club President said: "Just get the best one you can afford"

I have not regretted the Icharger but there are several others like Cellpro in that price range . It can charge basically everything out there, at least everything I use up to 6S

Good Luck !

-Hawk
Old 05-22-2013, 05:17 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Well - I have a strict budget and I just bought another B6 ... to pair with my existing ...

For me - when I'm home from assignments - I have time AT HOME ... that is 24hrs a day ... So I sit and annoy a few on forums ( ) ... LiPo's charging away at side ready for a session flying.

It's actually not the time to charge etc. - but the changing from set-up to another set-up ... nothing difficult, but just annoying.

I don't need or wish to charge at higher than 1C rate despite my having quite a collection of packs. I am old school that still feels that lower rate charging is kinder on the battery and gets nearer to 100% than pushing the rate higher.

There is one area that is a pain though and checking out all the chargers available to me ( I have to buy via online and then it's limited to those who ship reasonably to Latvia ) ... is discharge to storage ... the time needed is generally too long as the rates of discharge are capped too low.
I'm seriously considering constructing a motor / esc machine to run the lipo down at faster rate ... and interested if anyone else has doen such a thing ... simple device please !!

Cheers
Nigel
Old 05-22-2013, 05:48 PM
Turner
Super Contributor

Check your other thread.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:24 AM
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

Suppose I were to settle for this charger, what would be a decent power supply?

Also it says temperature sensor not included. What is a temperature sensor and where can I get one?

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...arehouse_.html

also one more stupid question, is there a better charger in a similar price range?
Old 05-29-2013, 03:22 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Also it says temperature sensor not included. What is a temperature sensor and where can I get one?

also one more stupid question, is there a better charger in a similar price range?

There are no stupid questions!!!!

The Cellpro 10xP is a slightly more capable charger, but it's nearly 3X more $$$$. http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/...Cellpro-10XP_2

As for the temperature sensor, one thing to be aware of in charging these LiPo batteries is high temperatures during the charge cycle. (And discharge cycle for that matter) Exceeding 140F on the battery is very hard on them, and can cause permanent damage. So, the temperature probe allows the charger to monitor temperatures during the charging process.

FYI, if you can hold your finger on the motor, or ESC, or battery pack for 15 seconds without branding yourself, you're fairly safe.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:21 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

You aren't going to find a better specified charger for that price. With HK you take a bit of a gamble on quality and customer service but for the price it looks like a good buy.

The temp sensor isn't compulsory but you can pick them up on ebay if you want one. Ideally you will need a 15-18V 400W power supply. A 12V supply might be easier to find and will work ok but you wont be able to get the full 400W out of the charger, you would most likely max out at 320W using a 12V charger, still adequate for most purposes.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:30 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
You aren't going to find a better specified charger for that price. With HK you take a bit of a gamble on quality and customer service but for the price it looks like a good buy.

The temp sensor isn't compulsory but you can pick them up on ebay if you want one. Ideally you will need a 15-18V 400W power supply. A 12V supply might be easier to find and will work ok but you wont be able to get the full 400W out of the charger, you would most likely max out at 320W using a 12V charger, still adequate for most purposes.
Several club members have picked up this power supply pulled out of big computer servers, and have been happy with them.
http://www.feathermerchantrc.com/

If you want brand new, they are available, but they go for some $250 or so.

Www.digikey.com has a wide variety of power supplies. Be sure to pick up the fully enclosed types. Some of the open class units require fans for cooling. And the big supplies are not cheap.

This unit is a 12 Volt DC, 50 Amp, 600 watt unit.
http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...628-ND/1631795

What I've used around my home is a good quality 15 Amp or so automotive deep cycle battery charger, and a 12 volt car battery. You can pull quite a bit of power out of this, and the automotive charger will put it back in a few hours.

Last edited by kyleservicetech; 05-29-2013 at 06:47 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:03 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
Several club members have picked up this power supply pulled out of big computer servers, and have been happy with them.
http://www.feathermerchantrc.com/

If you want brand new, they are available, but they go for some $250 or so.
Yeah, that's what I'm using but I got two used server PSUs off ebay and modified them myself.
It's really a quite straightforward mod, especially if you only want 12V output. In fact if you only want 12v there is no real modification to do at all, you just solder on the +/- output wires and bridge a couple of pins to 'turn-on' the supply. One 12v supply will give you 47A and 560W... more than enough for most applications.

I've been running my home-brew modified dual PSU's for over a year and they have never missed a beat, that includes pushing them within an amp or two of their 47A limit (24V, 1120W for my dual PSU set up). Cost me about 16 ($24)
Old 05-29-2013, 08:13 PM
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

Would i get a much quicker charge time for a Parkzone size battery from the 400w charger than I would from say, an 80w charger?

Id also want to charge maybe 4 of the ultramicro batteries at once.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:36 PM
Turner
Super Contributor

With an 80 watt charger you can charge a 3 cell pack at up to 6.35 amps. 80 watts / 12.6 volts = 6.35 amps. This is well beyond what the stock T-28 1800mAh 15c pack can handle. It probably has a recommended maximum rate of 1C. This would be 1.8 amps. You could charge three in parallel easily with an 80 watt charger. The ultra micro batteries are not an issue.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:53 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Would i get a much quicker charge time for a Parkzone size battery from the 400w charger than I would from say, an 80w charger?

Id also want to charge maybe 4 of the ultramicro batteries at once.
Yeah
You only need the higher powered chargers like a 400 watt unit IF you are planning to expand to higher powered models in the future.

Trying to charge a smaller size battery at those high rates would not be good. Either for the battery, or possibly for your house.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:05 PM
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
Yeah
You only need the higher powered chargers like a 400 watt unit IF you are planning to expand to higher powered models in the future.

Trying to charge a smaller size battery at those high rates would not be good. Either for the battery, or possibly for your house.
Well the 80 watt Turnigy is out of stock. So it is either a 50 watt or 200 watt hobbyking. Leaning towards the 200. 50 seems a little low.

Quick Reply: Can someone recommend a charger?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.17207 seconds with 15 queries