Best $150 Charger - 2014 Q4 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Best $150 Charger - 2014 Q4

Old 11-10-2014, 02:43 AM
craigrs84

Default Best $150 Charger - 2014 Q4

I've never owned a computerized charger so I'm reaching out for help. I need to buy one soon and would like to stay within the $150ish or less range. The charger must be able to parallel charge 2200 mAh 3 cell batteries. I was considering parallel charging them at 2C rate so I guess that'd double the watt requirments?

In my most recent searches I've stumbled upon the CellPro 10XP which seems like a capable & respectable charger. Would you recommend it over other brands/models? For example how does it stack up against the Hyperion 720i NET3 or the iCharger 206B? (or any other brands I may have missed)?

I did find this page, http://www.bigsquidrc.com/lipo-batte...rger-shootout/, which ranks the Hyperion above the CellPro charger, but it seemed like the information was slightly out of date and also geared more towards RC cars. Not sure if that really matters or not but I want something specifically for flying.

Lastly, one of the main complaints about the CellPro 10S/10XP is that it only has 2 buttons which may make the interface difficult to use. Can someone comment on if this is a major concern/problem?

I actually looked into buying a charger a couple of years ago but never did commit and never purchased one. Now I'm getting serious again and trying to figure this all out once more. Thanks for your help!

EDIT: I guess I should also consider the PowerLab 6. It's only about $15 more expensive than the 10XP so I guess I shouldn't rule it out. I don't think I can justify the price jump in the PowerLab 8 though. Can anyone comment on the differences between 10XP and PowerLab 6? Seems like PowerLab 6 has more watts & amps but only supports 6 cells? And 10XP has less watts & amps but supports 10 cells and has two ports for series charging?

Last edited by craigrs84; 11-10-2014 at 05:44 AM.
Old 11-10-2014, 05:48 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by craigrs84 View Post
I've never owned a computerized charger so I'm reaching out for help. I need to buy one soon and would like to stay within the $150ish or less range. The charger must be able to parallel charge 2200 mAh 3 cell batteries. I was considering parallel charging them at 2C rate so I guess that'd double the watt requirments?

In my most recent searches I've stumbled upon the CellPro 10XP which seems like a capable & respectable charger. Would you recommend it over other brands/models? For example how does it stack up against the Hyperion 720i NET3 or the iCharger 206B? (or any other brands I may have missed)?

I did find this page, http://www.bigsquidrc.com/lipo-batte...rger-shootout/, which ranks the Hyperion above the CellPro charger, but it seemed like the information was slightly out of date and also geared more towards RC cars. Not sure if that really matters or not but I want something specifically for flying.

Lastly, one of the main complaints about the CellPro 10S/10XP is that it only has 2 buttons which may make the interface difficult to use. Can someone comment on if this is a major concern/problem?

I actually looked into buying a charger a couple of years ago but never did commit and never purchased one. Now I'm getting serious again and trying to figure this all out once more. Thanks for your help!

EDIT: I guess I should also consider the PowerLab 6. It's only about $15 more expensive than the 10XP so I guess I shouldn't rule it out. I don't think I can justify the price jump in the PowerLab 8 though. Can anyone comment on the differences between 10XP and PowerLab 6? Seems like PowerLab 6 has more watts but only supports 6 cells? Does that mean the PowerLab 6 can only parallel charge two 3 cell batteries at the same time despite having all those watts? Can the 10XP potentially charge three 3 cell batteries at the same time?
IMHO, the Cellpro chargers are the top of the line in chargers for our equipment.

A number of my club members have the Cellpro Multi-4 charger. This charger is best used only for charging receiver batteries, such as the two cell LiFe and A123 packs. It is limited to just over 50 watts output.

The Cellpro 10xP charger is a fairly good charger. Two of my club members have it. This charger charges two separate packs by putting them in series internally. It only has one push button, so it's a bit more difficult to use.

The Cellpro Powerlab 6 charger is owned by four of my club members. This is a very good charger that can charge up to six cell LiPo's or LiFe/A123's. Unless you are planning to do giant scale models in the future, this charger will satisfy your requirements for a long long time. Even still, the '6 charger can charge two 6S LiPo battery packs in parallel as described below. A 12S LiPo battery pack is capable of handling an electric motor with over 3000 watts, which will nicely haul a 72 inch wingspan model in the air.

Great Planes Giant Big Stick Electric Conversion
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65052

Redwing MXSR Model
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72225

I've got two of the Cellpro Powerlab 8 charger, and use them for charging my giant scale models, with their A123 battery packs. Charging rate for these giant scale models is set at 30 Amperes. Five of my club members have the '8 charger.

The Cellpro chargers have available a USB dongle that allows the user to program your charger through your computer. I've used my USB dongle to program all four of the above chargers for my club members. For the extra few $$$$$, I'd definitely go for the Powerlab 6.

Nice thing about the '6 and'8 chargers, and to a limited degree the 10xP chargers, you can use the USB dongle to program in exactly what you want on the chargers LCD display. As an example, here is my setup, as is displayed on the chargers LCD display.

1. A123 2300 Mah 7.5 Amp Chg
2. A123 2300 Mah 15 Amp Chg
3. A123 2300 Mah 19 Amp Chg
4. A123 2300 Mah backup rcvr
5. LiPo 1500 Mah 1.5 A Chg
6. LiPo 150 Mah 150 mA Chg
7. LiPo 2300 Mah Balance Chg
8. A123 2300 Mah Cycle Test
9. Transmitter Nih Charge

Added to that, I've programmed my two '8 chargers to show my full name and phone number when powering up on its LCD display. Also done with the Cellpro USB dongle.

There are some 20 presets available. I've got 13 of them setup in my two chargers. Once you've got a Cellpro configured, it's easy to save the configuration and use it to program another Cellpro Charger. I could even send my configuration on my '8 charger to you via email, and you could install it to an '8 charger in your area.

As you scroll through items 1-8 above, you know exactly what the charger is going to do, since you set it up your self. The '6 and '8 chargers work very well, and are fairly easy to set up, once you've done one charge setting. The charge rates are fully configurable, so if new chemistry should show up, these chargers can be programmed to charge them also.

When connected to your computer through the $$ USB dongle, you can perform cycle tests on your LiPo batteries, and display it in graph format on your computer. Nice. I'd definitely buy the Dongle, either when you buy this charger, or later on if desired.

If you want to charge more than one pack at a time, Cellpro and some other China imports sell a universal adapter for this purpose. This adapter is equipped with electronic fuses that will trip out, in case you mix 3 and 4 cell packs, or do something really bad. This adapter allows charging up to six LiPo or six A123 packs at the same time, using one Cellpro Powerlab 6 or Powerlab 8 charger.

This is the universal adapter.
http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/Products_2/MPA_2'6

And, here is a bit of information on the Cellpro charger, doing a cycle test on a battery pack:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70621

Last edited by kyleservicetech; 11-10-2014 at 06:17 AM.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:49 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

If all you want is to parallel charge a few 3s 2200mAh then the Turnigy Reaktor 300W will meet all your needs and then some plus give you $80 change.

The Reaktor is a made under licence version of the iCharger 206b and other than the case is identical to the icharger: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...e_Charger.html

Well within your budget you could even get the dual output 2 x 300W version: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...e_charger.html
Old 11-10-2014, 12:39 PM
Siberianhusky

Wish I had a Powerlab!
Think I have seen just about most brands of charger in use between boating and planes. IMO the revolectrix wins hands down, especially in boating where we are charging multiple packs at once as we tend to run 2p setups.
Not going to say which one to avoid arguments but the "quality" charger I got from HK is no were near as accurate, doesn't have the features and most important to me now no real customer support, lol you brake it you bought it!
I started out buying less than top of the line stuff, would have been better off to spend the money up front as most of the "bargains" have now been replaced with higher end stuff. Sounded good when I bought it all but what did I know as a beginner to electric rc.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:31 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Your not going to get a Powerlab within the $150 budget, especially once you factor in a suitable power supply.

As I said the Reaktor chargers are iChargers 306b's in a different case. ichargers are top quaity and very reliable chargers so you shouldnt have any issues. Heck even if it goes wrong buy another, you could almost buy three for the price of the cheapest Powerlab.

But if the OP wants to blow his own budget then sure get a Powerlab, they are fine chargers, but there are other options. FWIW if you want serios power i prefer the iCharger Duos, mainly because they give a little more bang for buck, and the display is in a different league to the pocket calculator display of the Powerlabs. The style of the case on the iCharger Duos is an aquired taste though.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:24 PM
craigrs84

Thanks, to clarify, I realize I still have to buy a power supply separately and have taken that into account.

So my total budget is more like $250-$300 including power supply. (I haven't done much research on power supplies yet so my pricing may be off slightly).

Thanks for the tip about Turnigy Reaktor 300W, I will look into it.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:48 PM
craigrs84

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
Unless you are planning to do giant scale models in the future, this charger will satisfy your requirements for a long long time. Even still, the '6 charger can charge two 6S LiPo battery packs in parallel as described below. A 12S LiPo battery pack is capable of handling an electric motor with over 3000 watts, which will nicely haul a 72 inch wingspan model in the air.
I don't have any plans to get into giant scale models. But out of curiosity, you mention that the larger motors require over 3000 watts and then suggest two 6S packs in parallel as a potential solution. Are two 6S packs in parallel equivalent in power to one 12S pack in series? Does the single 12S pack have any advantage over two parallel 6S packs? Don't mean to sidetrack the main conversation but I've always wondered about this...

Currently my only electric plane I own is this: http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...ProdID=EFL2625

As for future plans I may get into the electric equivalent of a .40 size nitro engine, maybe .60 size but I'm somewhat doubtful. I don't foresee myself going any larger than that.

Thanks.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:58 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Converted computer server power supplies are the best bang for buck. There are several options but the HP DPS600PB supplies are easy to convert and two in series will give to 1200W at 24v which is enough for most chargers.

If you are handy with a soldering iron you can do the conversion yourself (it's easy). You can pick up DPS600PB's for about $20 each.

The savings on the power supplies would mean your budget for the charger itself would stretch to some top of the line hardware.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:05 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

But out of curiosity, you mention that the larger motors require over 3000 watts and then suggest two 6S packs in parallel as a potential solution.
When using two packs most often you would wire them in series to increase voltage. Two 6s packs in series is exactly the same as a single 12s pack. In fact it's pretty hard to buy a 12s pack because most people just use two 6s packs instead. This explains why most people dont need anything greater than 6s charging capability.

Of course when it comes to how powerful a charger you need mAh capacity comes into it, as well as how many batteries you have to charge.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:08 PM
craigrs84

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
When using two packs most often you would wire them in series to increase voltage. Two 6s packs in series is exactly the same as a single 12s pack. In fact it's pretty hard to buy a 12s pack because most people just use two 6s packs instead. This explains why most people dont need anything greater than 6s charging capability.

Of course when it comes to how powerful a charger you need mAh capacity comes into it, as well as how many batteries you have to charge.
Ok that helps, thanks!
Old 11-10-2014, 04:11 PM
craigrs84

Converted computer server power supplies are the best bang for buck. There are several options but the HP DPS600PB supplies are easy to convert and two in series will give to 1200W at 24v which is enough for most chargers.

If you are handy with a soldering iron you can do the conversion yourself (it's easy). You can pick up DPS600PB's for about $20 each.

The savings on the power supplies would mean your budget for the charger itself would stretch to some top of the line hardware.
Thanks I was considering doing something like this but hadn't researched it fully yet. I started to pull a power supply out of an old junk computer I had but I'm pretty sure its power supply is faulty so I stopped progress on it. I will look into the DPS600PB's I didn't realize you could buy the PSU so cheap.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:43 PM
michaely

A feature to look for in a charger is internal resistance (IR) readouts on individual cells in a battery pack. This bit of information helps track the deterioration of lipos over time.
There are standalone meters that give you this information and there is a math formula to figure it out but it's convenient to have the information built into the charger.
I have an ICharger 308 Duo, has this capacity and am satisfied with it.

good luck,

Michael
Old 11-10-2014, 05:15 PM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

I have two CellPro 4s chargers for trips to the field, well I should say trips away from my house and, and a PL6 from FMA Direct. http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/

The chargers from Revo are considered the gold standard of chargers. I have used the Cellpro chargers since first discovering them back on 2006 and never had any problems with them. They really are plug and play and extremely safe. Although not recommended of course, I hear people say they walk away and let their batteries charge when using the Cellpro because they know they are that safe.

Here is a forum with a ton of info that will help you decide. http://www.rcgroups.com/batteries-and-chargers-129/ and here is a thread about the PL6. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1641847

And here is the classifieds that you can probably find some Revo stuff for sale if you want to go that route: http://www.rcgroups.com/aircraft-ele...gers-fs-w-284/

Matter of fact, here is a guy selling power supplies: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...&highlight=FMA

You will note how fast they sell since they are such great and reliable chargers. But you can always put a wanted ad up.

Good luck on your decision. Besides a radio, deciding what charger to buy is the hardest decision you will have to make because it usually is the LAST charger you will ever have to buy. Since I am on a budget, I chose the PL6 and a 24V power supply and am very pleased with it. I don't think I will ever outgrow it.

Frank
Old 11-10-2014, 05:36 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Ok that helps, thanks!

Yup
You charge them in parallel. And for the really big models you fly with them in series.
Old 11-10-2014, 05:51 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by michaely View Post
A feature to look for in a charger is internal resistance (IR) readouts on individual cells in a battery pack. This bit of information helps track the deterioration of lipos over time.
There are standalone meters that give you this information and there is a math formula to figure it out but it's convenient to have the information built into the charger.
I have an ICharger 308 Duo, has this capacity and am satisfied with it.

good luck,

Michael
The IR readings are also displayed on the cellpro chargers
Old 11-10-2014, 08:05 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Unless you're very familiar with converting standard computer power supplies, I'd stay away from them. To many "gotcha's".

For $20, you can pick up a dedicated computer server power supply. These are whole different animals, with a simple 120 VAC input, and a 12 Volt DC output. I've seen several folks in www.wattflyer.com selling them, ready to go.

If you want to go the Ebay route, here is one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-406393-00...item2a4459f49d

FYI, one of these power supplies will run your Cellpro Powerlab 6 up to just about any battery you'll use for the near future. And, if you want to go to giant scale stuff, you can always add a second computer server power supply to get 24 Volts DC.

These computer server power supplies are used in large computer installations, where they pull out these supplies on a regular basis, and put in new units. Since they run 24/7/365 in a server, they are well designed. For home use, using them much less per day, they'll last a long time.

Two of my club members picked up these server power supplies, and are very well satisfied with them.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:10 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

I've had the iCharger w/ 350W PS for over 3 years and no problems. EPbuddy and Progressive RC have them. I like EPBuddy because they have more in the way of accessories like paraboards. Lot's of good ones out there. Hard to really say which one is best.

When I first got back into the hobby 4 years ago and there was this whole new world of electric in front of me, the club President said: " Just get the best charger you can afford !" So, like you, I did my homework and decided on the iCharger.

It's not something you're going to buy frequently. Just part of the infrastructure of stuff you must have. You don't know that in another year, you'll want to charge 4S , 5S or 6S. I would not limited myself on capacity. The key thing is to get a good capable power supply with it. At least 300W.

My 2 cents,

Hawk
Old 11-11-2014, 03:30 AM
craigrs84

So I guess the general consensus seems to be that a PowerLab 6 would be a better value than the 10XP. 10XP has the built in dual port for serial charging and higher max cell count but PowerLab has more watts & amps and would provide more power for parallel charging.

Question about parallel charging, if I start with two fully charged packs, and I fly each pack separately, meaning I fly pack #1 first, and pack #2 second, is this a situation where parallel charging would work well? I read that the two packs should ideally be within .2V of each other and I'm not sure if that's an easy thing to accomplish when flying the packs separately (as opposed to flying the packs together wired together).
Old 11-11-2014, 03:36 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

So I guess the general consensus seems to be that a PowerLab 6 would be a better value than the 10XP. 10XP has the built in dual port for serial charging but PowerLab has more watts & amps and would provide more power for parallel charging.

Question about parallel charging, if I start with two fully charged packs, and I fly each pack separately, meaning I fly pack #1 first, and pack #2 second, is this a situation where parallel charging would work well? I read that the two packs should ideally be within .2V of each other and I'm not sure if that's an easy thing to accomplish when flying the packs separately (as opposed to flying the packs together wired in parallel).
The 10xP charger can only charge two packs if they are identical in milliampere hours and cell count. This charger puts the two packs in series while charging. I've watched my club member do it. It's a hassle.

The '6 charger is designed to charge packs in parallel. There have been wattflyer threads on doing this, where they charged two or three packs that had very different discharged values. The circulating current was well within the balance wire capacity, and no problems were noted in the charging process.

If you buy that 6 parallel cell adapter, that takes care of any way out conditions with automatic resetting electronic fuses.
http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/Products_2/MPA_2

Someone in wattflyer also found one of these 6 parallel adapters direct from you know where at a pretty good price. Don't know where that thread is located though.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:02 AM
craigrs84

Thanks for your help so far. I've narrowed down the potential chargers quite a bit thanks to this thread. Regarding charging accessories these are the things I think I need:

Balance Board (is this still necessary if I use a Paraboard?)
"Safe" ParaBoard with Fuses
Possibly USB adapter if charger doesn't include it
12 volt power supply (start with one, buy 2nd one later if I grow into it)

Question: my batteries so far are Zippy brand and all use XT60 type connectors. When buying the Paraboard do you recommend trying to buy a board that has XT60 adapters on it already? Or stick with a board that uses deans plugs and connect batteries using an adapter?

Thanks.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:00 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Thanks for your help so far. I've narrowed down the potential chargers quite a bit thanks to this thread. Regarding charging accessories these are the things I think I need:

Balance Board (is this still necessary if I use a Paraboard?)
"Safe" ParaBoard with Fuses
Possibly USB adapter if charger doesn't include it
12 volt power supply (start with one, buy 2nd one later if I grow into it)

Question: my batteries so far are Zippy brand and all use XT60 type connectors. When buying the Paraboard do you recommend trying to buy a board that has XT60 adapters on it already? Or stick with a board that uses deans plugs and connect batteries using an adapter?

Thanks.
The Paraboard provides balance connections for up to 6 batteries. So, individual balance boards are not required. Several of my club members have indicated they've called Cellpro directly, and found they are very helpful if you have any questions on how to set it up, or what to buy.

Since the Paraboard uses all Deans connectors between it and your battery packs, you've got two options. One, modify all your packs to Deans connectors. Or two, build up short adapter cables between the Paraboard and you battery packs. Either will work, but I'd be inclined to do the adapter thing. Making up a bunch of Deans to XT adapter cables will also allow you to place your battery packs a bit further from the Paraboard, making just a little bit less messy wiring while charging.

IMHO, if you go for the Cellpro Powerlab 6 charger, it will be a long long long time before you need to upgrade to anything with higher performance! Do be sure to buy the USB dongle though. That makes setting up your '6 charger to exactly what you want to show on its LCD display for positive identification and charging routine between the different types of battery packs you have now, and will have in the future. Also, the '6 charger software allows you to "Lock" each of the battery programs you have put into your unit. You can still manually change the charging current if desired, but next time you power up the unit, it goes back to the parameters you've locked into it. Should you want to change one of he parameters, just unlock it with your PC and make changes.

The '6 and '8 chargers are very versatile units, and can be configured to charge anything out there right now.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:39 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

You can get paraboards with XT-60 connectors, I've got three of them!. You can also get fused 'safe' paraboards with XT-60 so you dont have to use adaptors. Hobbyking sell both the safe and normal types with XT-60.. and they are cheap.

If you are stretching to a high spec charger I'd personally recommend one of the iCharger Duo range. The dual output means you can charge two different battery types at the same time which you cant do on any single output charger. They also have an excellent colour screen which is in a different league to the 'pocket calculator' display on the Powerlabs, and negates any need to connect to your PC to set up. In addition to the dual outputs and colour screen the icharger Duos have all the features that the Powerlabs have so it comes down to personal choice, they are both excellent chargers.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:27 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

I also think the PL6 is the best charger out there for the money. I haven't yet had to buy the USB adapter since the screen menu has been able to do everything I need. But I have not asked it to do anything fancy besides charge at my desired rate of charge and to discharge at my desired discharge to a storage level. But it does look like an awesome tool and I like the versatility/powerful features of using it.

Shopping list:

http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/...-PowerLab-6_18
http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/...MPA_2/MPA-XH_2
http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/..._2/MPA-XH-PL_2

And USB if you go that route also: http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/...ab-8_5/FUIM3_2

Just make sure your power supply has the EC5 output connector or you will need an adapter. Let us know where that is coming from.

Did I get that right gents? I am just going by what I had to get. I was lucky and got my power supply from Solid Hobby. 24V and it is awesome. Sadly the guy that was doing it out of his garage needed a real job.

I think buying a charger is a life long RC investment that you will only have to make one time if you make the right decision. Just like a radio, you want to get the best that you can afford (or that your wife allows you to spend that is). I would have bought the PL8 but figured the PL6 is all I will ever need and so far that has held true.

Frank
Old 03-19-2015, 10:44 PM
craigrs84

Default Thanks Ya'll

This post is very delayed but I just now completed my project. (I put it on hold for a few months)

Anyways, I haven't used it extensively yet but so far I'm pretty happy with the result. (I was finally able to put my batteries at storage capacity, and I was able to read their internal resistance)

In the end I decided to go cheap with the Turnigy Reaktor charger. It fits all my current needs and probably all of my future needs too.

I decided that if I ever outgrow it then I wouldn't be upset that I sunk $60 into the charger. It's just not enough money to worry over. If I ever do upgrade though I'll most likely go with PowerLab 6 / 8 like so many suggested.

I'm also happy that I have a power supply that I can potentially re-use if I upgrade my charger. I modded an HP power supply like some suggested. I put 2 together in series to get 24v. I was pretty careful, I floated one of the inputs like suggested; my dad is an electrician and he helped me with this step and testing for safety. And I convinced him to give me a good multimeter because I realized mine was terrible during the course of this project.

Anyways I just wanted to tell everyone thank you! I couldn't have done it without you all.

Here's some pics: