Poll for 'Stay with a 3-channel surface or go with a 4-channel?' - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!
View Poll Results: Which plane should I buy?
ParkZone Typhoon 3D
50.00%
ParkFlyers Cessna 182
12.50%
ParkFlyers Edge 540T
0%
ParkFlyers Extra 330L
0%
HobbyZone Aerobird Swift
12.50%
Other: Reply with plane name and link to site
25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Poll for 'Stay with a 3-channel surface or go with a 4-channel?'

Old 03-28-2007, 05:35 AM
tgifia
Sam

Exclamation Poll for 'Stay with a 3-channel surface or go with a 4-channel?'

This is a poll for 'Stay with a 3-channel surface or go with a 4-channel?' at http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...296#post172296

Please Vote and visit the main post at the link above
Old 03-28-2007, 06:53 AM
tgifia
Sam

I voted for the Cessna because I wanted to be able to see the poll results while signed in and the special they have= rtf package = one extra battery http://www.parkflyers.com/html/cessna_182.html

Also have been researching the planes---below is my thoughts of each:

HobbyZone Aerobird Swift: like size, basic aileron trainer, good basic design
bad: tail dragger

ParkZone Typhoon 3D: 4 surfaces, 9 cell 1000mah pack
bad: weak landing gear construction

ParkFlyers Cessna 182: 4 surfaces, more parkflyer than 3d, like construction
bad: charger time

ParkFlyers Edge 540T: 4 surfaces, Peak Charger, 3 Cell Li-Poly 1800 mah, like construction
bad: never installed aileron or electronics-so setup is new to me (need good manual)

ParkFlyers Extra 330L: 4 surfaces, like the construction, looks,
bad: not enought info to find goods and bads (the "hidden" plane)

Thanks for your help

Last edited by tgifia; 03-28-2007 at 07:29 AM.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:43 PM
tgifia
Sam

I emailed my local hobby shop today. They are only able to order in the HobbyZone Swift and the ParkZone Typhoon 3d. I am going to buy through them, so my choices are between these two planes. Basically, do you (being experienced flyers) think i should get a 3-channel (aileron/elevator/throttle) or 4-channel (aileron/rudder/elevator/throttle)?

Please post comments in relation to which of these 2 planes I should choose.

Thanks
Old 03-29-2007, 03:21 PM
Leo L

Don't get hung up on 3-channel vs. 4-channel. Many flyers who have a 4-channel plane only use 3 channels when flying it. The real issue is ailerons vs. rudder. Since you feel that you are ready for ailerons, don't worry so much whether the plane is 3-channel or 4-channel. On parkflyer sized planes that have ailerons, the rudder is primarily used to aid in take-offs and landings, and for specialized stunts. For most flying situations, the rudder is not needed. Consider the PZ Mustang, PZ Fockewolf, PZ Spitfire and E-flite P-47. All of these have ailerons and only 3 channels, yet all of them are fun to fly and are very manuverable and controllable.

I'm glad that you eliminated the Parkflyer Cessna from your list. I had the plane for a year and could never get it to fly properly. Its very fragile and is significantly underpowered.

Of your other choices, the only one that I have is the Typhoon and I love the plane. It was my second aileron plane (after the Cessna) and I've been flying it for nearly nine months. Seeing how well the Typhoon flies, four other flyers at my field bought one and they all enjoy it. I currently have two other aileron planes, one is 3-channel and the other I converted from 3-channel to 4-channel, but I prefer the Typhoon over them. However, I had been flying intermediate level planes for several months before I tried the Typhoon. Going to the Typhoon from the SuperCub is a big step. You might be better off going to the Aerobird Swift initially, and then going to the Typhoon.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:29 PM
darylm44

Look at a wing dragon 4. They are 4 channel, inexpensive, tuff, and you can upgrade the motor when you are ready.