Slow Stick Wing - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Slow Stick Wing

Old 05-30-2008, 10:16 PM
Benson1
Trout Bum

Default Slow Stick Wing

I have not flown in 35 years so I am starting on a SS to refresh my skills. This sport has come a long way and I like electric. I did not think much of the slow stick when I saw my neighbors, but this forum changed my mind when I read about the many mods that could be made. I bought one, flattened the wing and added ailerons, brushless moter but no lipos yet. I use an 8 cell nimh with 1100 mah. I busted my first wing several times and finally needed another. It is cheapest to by the glider version and you get all the other stuff, but I like to screw around building. I have scratch built several planes over the years and most recently a Pietenpol that I am too chicken to fly yet. In any case I built several wings but they took too many hours with traditional techniques. I found one that I really like using Dan Schwartez's (Foamfly.com) Wing Jig and Bluecor.

I modified the jig to incorporate 6 ribs instead of 5. I also wanted the ribs to show on the top profile. I cut the top section of the ribs off and glued them to the top of the 1/32 nd ply form directly over the ribs under the ply. I then used matt board( thicker) rather than poster board for the cover.
In that cover I cut slots directly over the exposed ribs. This kind of acts as a female mold over the foam when cooking in the oven. When I remove the wing from the oven I gently rub the mold between the ribs giving some down pressure but not as far as the leading edge. The wing works great, is fast and easy to make and cost about a buck not counting reinforcing and epoxy. There seems to be no distortion in the airfoil using this modificaton and I reaaly like the impression of seeing the ribs. The wing on the plane below has ailerons and I used foam to make a flat bottom. I think this works better in the wind as opposed to the original under camber. That wing weighs 7.5 OZ. The wing beside the plane has no A's and no bottom foam. It weighs 2.5 OZ. I just like the way the plane responds with the A's

I stuck the Peitenpol pic in just for fun. It is not a foamie.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000313.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	67618   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000309.JPG
Views:	347
Size:	245.0 KB
ID:	67619   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000312.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	67620   Click image for larger version

Name:	PP.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	67621  
Old 05-30-2008, 10:26 PM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

Wow excellent job on the wings, and nice plane hanging too looks really good. How does the stick fly?

if you would use a rudder, how would undercambered wings work for ya? 7.5oz for a wing seems much, but then again you said you liked ailerons more and that is a flat bottom airfoil type wing..

oh and you use an oven? wow thats really neat.
i like how your wings look, they look like GWS wings.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:52 PM
Benson1
Trout Bum

Thanks! The ss flies great! The weight is a bit high on that wing but my brushless will handle a 40 oz plane. Mine is 30. The under camber just behaves poorly in the wind, but otherwise is fine. That wing is much faster to make. The oven handles 20 inch sections that you can put together in any configuration you want, even two together to go symmetrical. Someday I will learn to fly again to handle situations better, but I like building the most. Oven info at foamfly.com
scott