Is this LiPo safe to use? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Is this LiPo safe to use?

Old 09-23-2008, 02:12 AM
jtl004

Default Is this LiPo safe to use?

Crashed the other day and discovered the battery took on some damage. It's not puffed up or anything, just a little bent out of shape. Is it safe to use, or should I not risk it? I doubt it matters, but it's a GForce 3S 1800.

Thanks for your input.

Click image for larger version

Name:	battery.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	260.7 KB
ID:	78906
Old 09-23-2008, 02:18 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Look for ANY nicks or tears that expose any lipo-paste, if not charge while keep'in a close eye on it, It looks Okay from what I see, your bub, steve
Old 09-23-2008, 02:20 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jtl004 View Post
Crashed the other day and discovered the battery took on some damage. It's not puffed up or anything, just a little bent out of shape. Is it safe to use, or should I not risk it? I doubt it matters, but it's a GForce 3S 1800.

Thanks for your input.

Attachment 78906

Charge it in an isolated area (outside under a flower pot, for example) and if it holds a charge, its a keeper.

I had a TP 2070 take a bump on the end and squish the cells a bit, but it is still working as good as its newer counterpart.

After the wreck though I did isolate it for a week in a completely fireproof place (inside an old BBQ grill) covered in nomex cloth just to see if it was gonna go knobs-up on me... but it took a charge just fine and I flew on it twice yesterday, as a matter of fact.

Not being an insurance adjuster, I tell you to take my sentiments with a grain of salt -- but there's no sense in me tossing a lipo that in my case cost me $75 on some sort of superstition about a LiPo throwing open the gates of hell if it is dropped on the pavement once or twice...

my .02 shekels.
GRU
Old 09-23-2008, 02:21 AM
coro

No Lipo is completely safe, but damaged Lipo, is not safe at all.
What are You willing to hear?
Some users were flying, using such Lipos, and some of such packs performed well.
You can try. But in no way You could consider this pack safe. Never more.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:32 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

Do you have a safe place to store it when NOT in use? Is the price of a lipo worth possibly loosing your house/apartment/garage?

If you can safely store it where it won't damage anything if it goes off (the smoke will eat electronics even if the fire is contained) then you can try. but is it worth it?
Old 04-30-2010, 03:18 PM
kevinm

Originally Posted by jtl004 View Post

Thanks for your input.

Attachment 78906
heres my "test pilot noob " pack - its an amazing piece of gear i put in the air occasionally better pic - sorry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	smashed.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	126536  
Attached Images  
Old 04-30-2010, 06:23 PM
tobydogs
love to build!

i personaly would deep six it. not that i like spending money,but i will not take a chance that it might decide to puff and burn because the seams were weaked in a crash.but thats just me.i keep all my batteries in fire proorf lock boxs. if one goes ,all in the box will go up in flames also.i use 2 storage boxs.one stays at home and the other metal box goes with me in my gear box.

3cell lipos at 1800 mah are $10 [or less really]at hobby city and well worth the money.
another thought is how many cycles do you already have on that pack?
i just got back from flying my 42"3dhs slick and the 2 3cell 2200 mah zippies i,v had for a year are nearing the end of their optimum power life.been using them alot.

i have 2 more being shipped as we speak from hobbycity,the turnigy 3cell2200 20c for $9.99 each.....can't wait till they arrive to see the diff between old and new.
stu
Old 04-30-2010, 06:27 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by stuart View Post
i personaly would deep six it. not that i like spending money,but i will not take a chance that it might decide to puff and burn because the seams were weaked in a crash.but thats just me.i keep all my batteries in fire proorf lock boxs. if one goes ,all in the box will go up in flames also.i use 2 storage boxs.one stays at home and the other metal box goes with me in my gear box.

3cell lipos at 1800 mah are $10 [or less really]at hobby city and well worth the money.
another thought is how many cycles do you already have on that pack?
i just got back from flying my 42"3dhs slick and the 2 3cell 2200 mah zippies i,v had for a year are nearing the end of their optimum power life.been using them alot.

i have 2 more being shipped as we speak from hobbycity,the turnigy 3cell2200 20c for $9.99 each.....can't wait till they arrive to see the diff between old and new.
stu
New batteries are the ticket!

I was using two old worn out 4s 4000 15c packs in my late shoestring and was maxing out at about 95mph. Had two brand new 4s 5000 25c packs in it at SEFF and was running even speeds with Ck and his Ritewing. Chris estimated my speed at 110 or better based on the speed of his wing and me keeping up with him.

Nothing different except batteries

I wouldn't trust that crumpled pack either, I know this is an old thread but still relevant.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:38 PM
tobydogs
love to build!

hey bill,welcome back my friend from your trip!

wow,you weren't kidding "old thread".........now i feel like i should check the dates on these topics before offering advise...lol...to funny!

stu
Old 05-01-2010, 07:13 PM
dmarko

Wow.. Some of those packs look really bad.
I just threw 2 1320 Nah (expensive) batteries into the salt solution soak to kill them.
They weren't even close to as crumpled as some above but still crumpled a bit on the sides. I just got the ok from the wife to store my lipos inside the house in a charging bag and inside a fireproof box. I had to beat the 90F 100% humidity garage storage I have done for the past 2 years. That was more of a detriment to the batteries than anything else.
On condition I get ride of potentially "if-y" batteries.
With the cheap price of lipos nowadays thru Heads UP Rc or Hobby King, it's not risking on a couple of bad batteries. Just my two cents.