new to hobby, looking for help! - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

new to hobby, looking for help!

Old 12-24-2010, 06:48 PM
  #1  
KID
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 28
Default new to hobby, looking for help!

Hey guys, I am new here, to the site and to this hobby(sorda). So, with that said, if this is in the wrong section my bad. My name is Hunter and I am a junior in high school, I am lead color guard instructor in my JROTC and I am in command of upward of 90 freshman and sophmore's. I play major airsoft, my true love and dream, but in the cold months my "state of the art" gas blow back doesn't work, you know how it goes, science and all, somthing about gas reduction die to decresed temperature .. I built models when I was younger and always thought it would be cool to build a flying model, so one day I bought a guillows bals b25 model..being as young as I as it came together but..not to well, I was young and rushed it so..not the greatest. now I am back and looking to get into this hobby as it seems great! and to rebuild this b25. I would love any help you guys could give me, thanks!
KID is offline  
Old 12-24-2010, 07:38 PM
  #2  
Rollin1
New Member
 
Rollin1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ohio,U.S.A.
Posts: 14
Default Welcome

Welcome to Wattflyer
could you give some info such as wingspan etc
twin motor setup or static model?
Rollin1 is offline  
Old 12-24-2010, 07:51 PM
  #3  
KID
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 28
Default

Originally Posted by Rollin1 View Post
Welcome to Wattflyer
could you give some info such as wingspan etc
twin motor setup or static model?
well, at the time I was 13, so being I had no idea about R/c stuff it was just a static.

now, since I am just getting back to this, here is what I am planning

the guillows 28" wingspan b25 bomber, with dual electric or nitro engine. As stupid as that may sound, I have no idea If it is even possible to use nitro engine in it, I just saw them at a hobby shop and thought it would be cool to use them.

I hear alot of talk about the guillows balsa being to heavy? but I don't want to custom cut or go through that trouble for lighter wood, what parts could I use to just get the "stock" wood flying?


sorry about the questions but you guys are the experts, not me.
KID is offline  
Old 12-24-2010, 08:11 PM
  #4  
Rollin1
New Member
 
Rollin1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ohio,U.S.A.
Posts: 14
Default

I understand Guillows suggests .020 to .049 nitro although I would think epower easier better.
IMHO not the plane to learn to fly,look through power setups here for more info
center of gravity is very important (motor weight,battery placement etc.)
Rollin1 is offline  
Old 12-24-2010, 08:14 PM
  #5  
KID
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 28
Default

Originally Posted by Rollin1 View Post
I understand Guillows suggests .020 to .049 nitro although I would think epower easier better.
IMHO not the plane to learn to fly,look through power setups here for more info
center of gravity is very important (motor weight,battery placement etc.)
then I may just build it as a static model or make it a long time running project till I can fly planes properly without epic crash landings..

like I said I am new here and havent fully figured out how to navigate this forum, were is the sections on power/ building tip,ideas,tools/ our skins(like how to create the outside finish of the plane) and all.?
KID is offline  
Old 12-24-2010, 08:29 PM
  #6  
Rollin1
New Member
 
Rollin1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ohio,U.S.A.
Posts: 14
Default

power systems and beginers when you first come in to this site
be persistant hang in there (read through it all)

you will love it
Rollin1 is offline  
Old 12-24-2010, 08:42 PM
  #7  
KID
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 28
Default

ok, I called my uncle(master mechanic, also fixed boats, races jet skii's and does anything else you can possibly think of) and he said If I wanted I can have his old nitro motor's and whatever else he can find, he also said any parts I need he will go pick up for me( for a price of course)...this is great, because I am terrified of lipo batteries....horrible memories with them.

now, If I build two, one static and one flyer

1. how do I set up a nitro set-up?
``wat parts are needed for this?
``how big(or little) must the fuel tank be to fit in a b25 frame?

2. are there any threads on here dedicaed to nitro flight?


of course I would build this plane at a SUPER SLOW pace and will get help from local hobby shops and you guys along the way, I am not planning to just throw it together.
KID is offline  
Old 12-24-2010, 09:06 PM
  #8  
Rollin1
New Member
 
Rollin1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ohio,U.S.A.
Posts: 14
Default

rcuniverse.com for nitro
electric only here
Rollin1 is offline  
Old 12-24-2010, 09:45 PM
  #9  
KID
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 28
Default

Originally Posted by Rollin1 View Post
rcuniverse.com for nitro
electric only here
oh..but I just started liking it here..
KID is offline  
Old 12-25-2010, 12:10 AM
  #10  
Insomniac
Member
 
Insomniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 649
Default

Then use electric...

What's your problem with LiPo cells? Properly looked after, they're fantastic.
I've probably bought 10-15 or so different LiPo cells, and I've only had one bad experience. I bought a few newer Zippy packs from HK to supplement the old ones I had, but the new ones seemed of low quality... slight puffing, underperforming cells... Just bad luck on that occasion. So I don't use those ones any more.

Other than that, all of my other LiPos have been fine. No fires, no difficulties using them and they're a lot easier to keep in prime condition than the old NIMH cells used to be.
Insomniac is offline  
Old 12-25-2010, 12:16 AM
  #11  
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor
 
Rockin Robbins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: DeLand, FL
Posts: 1,883
Default

We like to throw a switch and know the engine will run! And we can start and stop our motors in flight.
Rockin Robbins is offline  
Old 12-25-2010, 01:08 AM
  #12  
starcad
Model Designer
 
starcad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Tucson, Az
Posts: 584
Default

Originally Posted by KID View Post
oh..but I just started liking it here..
Welcome to Wattflyer

No worries Kid. Most of the people on this site are really fantastic people willing to help anyone with questions. As far as your Guillow's kit I would recommend you build it as a static model or save it for later. There are a good many designs presented here in these forums that are both easy to build and easy to fly. There is a world of information here and a world of people willing to share it with you. Most of us have been flying models for way too long it just never gets old and always provides entertainment in one form or another. So, with all that said, please feel free to ask your questions and you will probable get several different answers to choose from.
starcad is offline  
Old 12-25-2010, 01:24 AM
  #13  
KID
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 28
Default

Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
Then use electric...

What's your problem with LiPo cells? Properly looked after, they're fantastic.
.
well, like stated, I play airsoft and thos eof going for super high speed set ups use lipo's usually 7.4, 11.1 or 12V "bricks" and I had an incident were my lipo randomly exploded inside my stock, centimeters form my face..so since then I have just been..worried.. and I didnt do anthing wrong, I dudnt run it to low, It was freshly balanced charged on a lipo charger, it wasnt ruptured, just..exploded.


Originally Posted by starcad View Post
Welcome to Wattflyer

No worries Kid. Most of the people on this site are really fantastic people willing to help anyone with questions. As far as your Guillow's kit I would recommend you build it as a static model or save it for later. There are a good many designs presented here in these forums that are both easy to build and easy to fly. There is a world of information here and a world of people willing to share it with you. Most of us have been flying models for way too long it just never gets old and always provides entertainment in one form or another. So, with all that said, please feel free to ask your questions and you will probable get several different answers to choose from.
I am a huge fan of WWII bombers, so I was looking around and saw the b17/b24/b29, a personal favorite the DC3/C47 and of course the b25. If I kept the b25 as a static is it possible to mod one of the other to fly electric? and do you think any of the guys here could post picture of the blueprints and how to fit all the parts, were to run wires and how to store batterys i the tiny little airframe?



Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
We like to throw a switch and know the engine will run! And we can start and stop our motors in flight.
sounds to me like one more reason to go electric, but now stopping and starting motors in flight..sounds a little.."show boaty" count me in!

Last edited by KID; 12-25-2010 at 02:30 AM.
KID is offline  
Old 12-25-2010, 02:11 AM
  #14  
tampaflyer
to the skies of tampa
 
tampaflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: tampa
Posts: 333
Default

where are you, local help is great too.. unless you like rebuilding.
converting a gillows is not an easy task..
there are a few arf kits and an rtf fro nitro planes.

but get help...to fly and electric is nolonger a problem..
heck i have a huge catalina twin and i have had nitro powered multi....
tampaflyer is offline  
Old 12-25-2010, 02:29 AM
  #15  
KID
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 28
Default

Originally Posted by tampaflyer View Post
where are you, local help is great too.. unless you like rebuilding.
converting a gillows is not an easy task..
there are a few arf kits and an rtf fro nitro planes.

but get help...to fly and electric is nolonger a problem..
heck i have a huge catalina twin and i have had nitro powered multi....
during the year I am in moyock,NC so, hampton roads VA. and during the summers I am in jacksonville FL.
KID is offline  
Old 12-25-2010, 10:06 AM
  #16  
CHELLIE
Super Contributor
 
CHELLIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hesperia, So. Calif
Posts: 19,246
Default

Hi Kid Welcome to Wattflyers, here is a nice power glider , with a brushless motor, lipo, charger, 2.4 ---4 channel radio, the works for $119.00 this will get you started for very little money, and you can use the radio and electronics for other planes too, a power glider is the best way to learn RC, they are big, slow and allow you time to think, while you get your eye- hand- depth perception, speed perception down, use a simulator first, and make sure the plane is balanced before trying to fly it, the cg should be about 25% of the wing cord from the front leading edge, best to have the plane a little nose heavy when starting out, I sold all of my nitro engs, they are a pain electric is much much better, give yourself a little time to learn electric power, its not real easy, but in time you will learn a lot here, it took me about 1 year to get comfortable with E Power, now i love it Hope that Helps, Take care, Chellie

http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy892...y-rtf-24g.html


http://www.nitroplanes.com/newrcte6chfl.html


CHELLIE is offline  
Old 12-25-2010, 04:28 PM
  #17  
starcad
Model Designer
 
starcad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Tucson, Az
Posts: 584
Default

I know it is not a '25 it is a B-17 but you can kinda get the idea of what is involved. Also this one is control line however by enlarging it one could add a radio, motors, and batteries. Chellie offers a great suggestion on an aircraft to learn to fly. It's like baby steps you need to learn to crawl before you can walk and run. Take it one step at a time and you will enjoy a lifetime of fun. BTW my son live in Fairfax and teaches a high school class model aviation every year. Flies at NVRC.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
B-17G at 150.pdf (461.3 KB, 78 views)
starcad is offline  
Old 12-26-2010, 03:18 AM
  #18  
KID
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 28
Default

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Hi Kid Welcome to Wattflyers, here is a nice power glider , with a brushless motor, lipo, charger, 2.4 ---4 channel radio, the works for $119.00 this will get you started for very little money, and you can use the radio and electronics for other planes too, a power glider is the best way to learn RC, they are big, slow and allow you time to think, while you get your eye- hand- depth perception, speed perception down, use a simulator first, and make sure the plane is balanced before trying to fly it, the cg should be about 25% of the wing cord from the front leading edge, best to have the plane a little nose heavy when starting out, I sold all of my nitro engs, they are a pain electric is much much better, give yourself a little time to learn electric power, its not real easy, but in time you will learn a lot here, it took me about 1 year to get comfortable with E Power, now i love it Hope that Helps, Take care, Chellie

http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy892...y-rtf-24g.html


http://www.nitroplanes.com/newrcte6chfl.html


thanks! might have to hold off for a little bit as I don't have the money to start yet
KID is offline  
Old 12-26-2010, 05:36 AM
  #19  
Insomniac
Member
 
Insomniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 649
Default

Well, that sucks that you had that happen with your Airsoft gun. Is it possible that it was subjected to shock, or that some internals of the gun overloaded or shorted it?

Even if it was a random chance occurance, it is still very unlikely... LiPos are used pretty much exclusively here, and we VERY rarely hear of any incidents. Buy yourself some Lipo-safe bags, store them somewhere cool and safe, and I can almost guarantee you'll be fine.
Insomniac is offline  
Old 12-26-2010, 07:02 AM
  #20  
KID
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 28
Default

Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
Well, that sucks that you had that happen with your Airsoft gun. Is it possible that it was subjected to shock, or that some internals of the gun overloaded or shorted it?

Even if it was a random chance occurance, it is still very unlikely... LiPos are used pretty much exclusively here, and we VERY rarely hear of any incidents. Buy yourself some Lipo-safe bags, store them somewhere cool and safe, and I can almost guarantee you'll be fine.
there isn't shorting in airsoft, airsoft guns take the power pumped out till it strips all the teeth or cracks the shell into a million pieces, I truelly have no idea what caused it, I had been running lipo's for quiet some time but after that..I was done.


*EDIT* well, there is shorting in the guns that are of lower quality, and its pretty much unheard of in the higher quality because we all run mosfets that take the blow if anything goes wrong.
KID is offline  
Old 12-26-2010, 07:40 AM
  #21  
Insomniac
Member
 
Insomniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 649
Default

Any electrical system can short... Even if the motor will tear apart the mechanics before it overloads, any wiring faults or flaws can potentially short out which may result in a fire with no warning.

And yes, on high quality guns it's pretty unheard of, but the same goes for the trusted LiPo brands here... Problems occasionally occur, but it's quite rare. How about heat? If it was a hot day and there wasn't enough cooling for the LiPo (not really a problem with planes, they get quite a lot of airflow) I could see something failing.

Regardless of the cause, the point is that it's pretty unlikely. More people crash their cars into telegraph poles than have lithium batteries fail on them... Keep in mind that all modern mobile phones, iPods, laptops, most 'toy grade' RC planes and helis for younger kids, and many cameras, all run on lithium cells. Most people carry at least one around in their pocket most days.

That's not to say there's no danger, but I wouldn't worry about it too much with the proper precautions.
Insomniac is offline  
Old 12-26-2010, 08:50 AM
  #22  
KID
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 28
Default

Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
Any electrical system can short... Even if the motor will tear apart the mechanics before it overloads, any wiring faults or flaws can potentially short out which may result in a fire with no warning.

And yes, on high quality guns it's pretty unheard of, but the same goes for the trusted LiPo brands here... Problems occasionally occur, but it's quite rare. How about heat? If it was a hot day and there wasn't enough cooling for the LiPo (not really a problem with planes, they get quite a lot of airflow) I could see something failing.

Regardless of the cause, the point is that it's pretty unlikely. More people crash their cars into telegraph poles than have lithium batteries fail on them... Keep in mind that all modern mobile phones, iPods, laptops, most 'toy grade' RC planes and helis for younger kids, and many cameras, all run on lithium cells. Most people carry at least one around in their pocket most days.

That's not to say there's no danger, but I wouldn't worry about it too much with the proper precautions.
now that I think about it, it was encased in a metal tube and it was about 90% that day..could that have been my problem? then why didn't I have a pproblem tilll then?
KID is offline  
Old 12-27-2010, 02:41 PM
  #23  
dkrhardy
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Wetumpka AL (Montgomery area)
Posts: 543
Default

I've been lurking here and did a couple of PM's to Chellie. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone, you're helping KID as well as me and maybe others too!
Don
dkrhardy is offline  
Old 12-27-2010, 05:19 PM
  #24  
SHADY
Got Glue??
 
SHADY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: East Coast, N. Carolina
Posts: 259
Default

Welcome to the forum KID..

You could try starting with an ultra micro, like the Champ, just to get the feel of flying rc, while building yourself a larger scale war bird.
The Champ is $90 US and it comes with everything you need to get airborne....
SHADY is offline  
Old 12-27-2010, 06:59 PM
  #25  
KID
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 28
Default

Originally Posted by SHADY View Post
Welcome to the forum KID..

You could try starting with an ultra micro, like the Champ, just to get the feel of flying rc, while building yourself a larger scale war bird.
The Champ is $90 US and it comes with everything you need to get airborne....
link?
KID is offline  

Quick Reply: new to hobby, looking for help!


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10232 seconds with 14 queries