I hate Jeeps! - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

I hate Jeeps!

Old 02-08-2011, 10:52 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Default I hate Jeeps!

Back last summer I bought my daughter a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee. For a couple months everything worked fine. Then in September the automatic transmission started screwing up, 1st gear completely stripped out of it and starting out in second screwed that one up too. $2400 rebuild later we get it back and all is well. Then in November we had a big Nor'easter storm, lots of flooding and being a new driver she lost traction and went into a water filled ditch with it. Ran over a mailbox post on the way in and flattened both right side tires and pushed the antenna back into the windshiled cracking it and filling the passenger side with water... muddy water. $400 later the tires are replaced and another $100 for the windshield replacement she's back on the road. Then the oil pressure gauge goes out and warning light come on. Oil pressure sensor is cracked and no longer functioning. $60 later I get that replaced.

Now it's squeaking really bad. I put a new belt on it, no luck. I check it and it appears to be the belt tensioner so $40 later it's on and no joy, still squealing really bad. So I put an Idler pulley on it another $20 bucks, still sqealing, almost a laugh really.. at me! So I'm stumped and gave up for the night, that was Saturday. She did not drive it again until today and it's still doing it so I look again today after work and the belt I put on is frayed... what the heck! So I start checking the pulleys for the power steering and alternator and they are ok. I put it back on and start it up... yes it's still laughing at me and I notice the water pump pulley wobbling pretty bad... dammit! But I found it. So now to put a water pump on it... another $80. Crap.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:12 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
Back last summer I bought my daughter a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee. For a couple months everything worked fine. Then in September the automatic transmission started screwing up, 1st gear completely stripped out of it and starting out in second screwed that one up too. $2400 rebuild later we get it back and all is well. Crap.
Interesting, friend of ours has a Jeep of the same general vintage. He's on his second tranny rebuild.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:13 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Well that's encouraging... thanks!
Old 02-08-2011, 11:21 PM
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

Sorry 2 hear about your issues man..

My 1990 Wrangler has been bulletproof with 125K on it.

I'd have to say, I LOVE my Jeep.

(square headlights means GM Jeep, not Chrysler)

The best part, is your daughter now has a lot of new parts on her ride, you are a good man for taking care of it for her.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	FILE0003.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	143019  
Old 02-09-2011, 12:17 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Yes, Jeeps are just like Rc Aircraft, They too are a Money Pit
Old 02-09-2011, 12:19 AM
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up

Holy Smokes Bill!! This poor girl is having the exact same problem!
The chances of that happening have got to be like a billion to 1!

Old 02-09-2011, 02:58 AM
SHADY
Got Glue??

Been working on new Jeeps since 94.
I have a 97 Grand Cherokee with nearly 300k miles on it, runs like a champ.
1999 they changed the platform and the drive-train.
Not so good...... Diffs., Trannys, Drive-ability issues abound....

Just like any line of car, they have the good times and the bad....
Old 02-09-2011, 03:07 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

It seems like I have the worst luck when it comes to cars sometimes. Hopefully we'll get this water pump replaced and it'll be good for a while.

Thinking of maybe selling it this summer and getting her a newer Honda or Toyota or something as she'll be heading off to college this fall.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:25 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

seems like everything costs $100 or more to repair these days.....my 2 sons cars have cost the wife and i $2000 in repairs for which they'll repay us,but now jt's[my youngest at 19]car was struck in the hood by a very high bumper that didn't bother to admit to hitting his car will cost$1000 for parts and labor,excluding paint which would add another 1000+..... the kids are taking a beatting.

hope you get the jeep fixed bill,it a solid car/truck to protect your little girl. thats what counts!
Old 02-09-2011, 03:28 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

gotta add,at $3.09 a gal ,a honda wouldn't be a bad choice...lol....we love the accord and pilot.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:21 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Back last summer I bought my daughter a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I bought a Chevy S10 brand new in 1991. It's now got 97,000 miles on it (Now, only used to haul my models back and forth to the flying field). In the past 20 years, its had the usual brake jobs, mufflers and tires.

As for everything else done to it:
New exhaust manifold (10 years ago)
New air conditioner evaporator (9 years ago)
New heater blower motor (5 years ago)
New Distributor cap (7 years ago)

The body is getting rusty now, after all, this is S.E. Wisconsin, but it still runs like brand new.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:30 AM
TLyttle
Super Contributor

I've owned various Toyotas over the last 35 years or so, a truck, a couple of sedans, now I have a Yaris. Always reliable, very repairable if anything does fail, lots of them around. My Yaris 4-door has lots of room, gets 40+ mpg, handles VERY well, just generally a good little car. Give it a look...
Old 02-09-2011, 12:21 PM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

I had a 2000 Grand Cherokee, and amongst it's other problems(Let's see, 2 or 3 door lock actuators, one siezed brake caliper, the hood actuators going bad twice which at $60 got replaced by a 2x4 the 2nd time, and a leaking transmission), the water pump went out every 2 years in October! No kidding. I tried rebuilt, new, didn't matter. And the last time it went out, it didn't leak. So not knowing why it was overheating, I replaced the thermostat, then was about to try replacing the radiator, but knowing the water pump history, I pulled the pump first, and found the impeller was loose on the shaft. So externally, you couldn't tell it was the culprit.

I replaced it with a Ford Fusion, and at around 23k miles, the water pump started leaking, and it had to be replaced (under warranty) already.... (I guess the seal is built into the pump.) So my water pump trials follow me.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:49 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

That Stinks xmech2k. Bad enough an older one does it but a new car! At least it's under warranty.

This water pump stumped me at first as it's not weeping. I've worked on cars all my adult life and some of my youth too, some 35-40 years now and I'v never seen a water pump go bad that didn't weep water out of it.

I haven't taken it of yet but I think my problem is going to be like yours, with the belt of the pump shaft is wobbling around so the bearings are gone for sure and it may be separated from the impeller too. She doesn't typically drive very far. School is only a mile or so up the road and our church isn't much farther. That's about the extent of where she goes so with this cold weather it hasn't had much of a chance to overheat! LOL

Anyway, Hopefully I can get it replaced and that'll quell things for a while.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:06 PM
SHADY
Got Glue??

Originally Posted by stuart View Post
gotta add,at $3.09 a gal ,a honda wouldn't be a bad choice...lol....we love the accord and pilot.
I just redid a 92 civic hatchback. 88,000 miles on it.
It has become my daily driver and with rear seats folded down, I can carry
3 park flyer sizes planes. That and 30 mpg...
Gotta love Hondas...
Old 02-09-2011, 04:45 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
I've owned various Toyotas over the last 35 years or so, a truck, a couple of sedans, now I have a Yaris. Always reliable, very repairable if anything does fail, lots of them around. My Yaris 4-door has lots of room, gets 40+ mpg, handles VERY well, just generally a good little car. Give it a look...
Years ago, I came across a Yugo that ran over a curb. Strangest sight I ever saw. Made me wish I'd had a camera. The car was in the median.

The front and back wheels and supporting structure were still at the curb.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:40 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Water pump project complete. Yay...

You'd think that with a traight 6 it would not have been too hard. If I cold have gotten the fan shroud off it probably would have been but on of the bottom bolts holding it on was impossible to get too with the radiator in the jeep. I was NOT going to take the radiator out so it was a bit of a challenge. I've got some scraped up knuckles but it's done.

Parts (pump, gasket, coolant) was around $80, cheapest place I could find to do it wanted about $480 so I figure I have $400 in my hobby fund now!
Old 02-12-2011, 09:02 PM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Way to go Bill now try selling that idea to the wife that ya earned 400.00 for the hobby fund. I am behind you 100% on your thought process.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:08 PM
HeliScRapYard
Foam Junkie

Eh.. we've got 5 in the family and if they have been Great.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:06 AM
TLyttle
Super Contributor

I've seen that before, too, kyle: 47 Chev going way too fast, curb in a roundabout. Car would have made it to the other side, but the fountain in the center stopped further progress. Lots of car owners out there, too few drivers!
Old 02-13-2011, 03:19 AM
rcers
Super Contributor

My buddy has a 6 year old Wrangler. Every time I ride in it, I feel like I am donating a kidney. It is harsh, abusive, loud and gets crappy mileage. He loves it, for the two weeks a year he can take the top off and go "off road" were it is fantastically abusive.

It is in the shop regularly. Even when it was under warranty. Then he would have to fight with the dealer to fix things.

He is on his 4th set of tires (like 80K miles) and he has had transmission issues, brake issues, muffler, some strange electrical issues and I am sure other things he has not told me.

But he loves it, and is convinced it was his teenage son driving it occasionally that caused all the issues. I am like - read about Jeep reliability your not alone.

At any rate - I am unsure after doing any research why ANYONE would buy a Jeep.

Mike
Old 02-13-2011, 03:53 AM
scott-p
crash test pilot

I hate jeeps

I love them. I'm a mechanic and I work on them and Fords all day long. If it weren't for jeep and ford, I couldn't buy airplanes and pay my mortgage
Old 02-13-2011, 04:03 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by scott-p View Post
I love them. I'm a mechanic and I work on them and Fords all day long. If it weren't for jeep and ford, I couldn't buy airplanes and pay my mortgage
LOL, OK then... I guess that about sums it up!

So I should look at selling this thing then eh?
Old 02-13-2011, 05:40 AM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

i remember my first lemon, it was my first care, a plymouth duster, slant six. The engine was awesome for taking abuse, the rest of the car, if there was a way for something to break down, it would, the thing was jerry rigged at the factory.

I ended up tossing the thing, it got a fitting home at a place that did demolition derby's.

My last dodge was a 75 100 series pick up, and man, spent countless hours on it, fixing stuff once, twice, and three times, all the time. I finally got it nailed down after replacing new part after new part, to find the right one off of the production line and rerouting some crazy electrical stuff on it, turning things manual at times with a toggle switch. And in the end, it could haul a tank, and it was about the same gas mileage of a tank to boot. I let it go to a scrapper, nobody wanted to touch it, even though I forced it to become reliable.

My other little project, 89 cougar, and it too took some revisions to some key areas that broke down, the dremel had it's day on that aspect of it.

Mechanics aren't allowed to research, and not only fix, but to figure out what needs to be revised, and be proactive about it all, they are only there to fix something after the fact, regardless if it's going to break again in a month or so. I don't rely upon them for that reason, if I can't fix it, it get's tossed, and/or scrapped, it's just not worth the time and money to pay for a vehicle several times over, just to have it working right, if one were using an outside mechanic.

Transmissions, super easy to switch out, same with starters, alternators, water/fuel pumps, etc. those will go out on any rig, but the important part, I'm sad to see here Bill, the guy that sold it to you knew it's time was due to replace those things, so bailed out and sold it to you before it got to that point. Knowing full well, it's going to be a hassle, and an expense to do. They purposely design these things to only have a limited shelf life, be it, miles or years, and unless you pick up something with receipts replacing and fixing all of that stuff...you are going to be the one to be providing those after the fact.

Regardless, these lemon cars, if you don't mind not keeping them stock can be doable, but the key is to ignore the stopgaps, and quit thinking in line with keeping it all pristine, it's a bad design and engineering from the get to, don't perpetuate it by babying what's a poor idea in the first place.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:36 PM
weathervane
Needs more LED's

I had a Jeep for a while. I liked it, it was nice. I started to shift funny. I took it to a friend who runs a trans shop. He told me to get rid of it or a $2000.00 rebuild was in my future. I put a can of trans stuff in it and took it to Carmax.
-Andrew

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10562 seconds with 13 queries