Dennis Bryant Fiesler Storch.....Flaps or no flaps? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Dennis Bryant Fiesler Storch.....Flaps or no flaps?

Old 04-13-2012, 08:24 AM
liposucker

Default Dennis Bryant Fiesler Storch.....Flaps or no flaps?

Hi all.

I am in the process of building from plans the Dennis Bryant Fiesler Storch...70" wingspan...5 Function.

I am also converting it to electric power.

My query relates to flaps. The plans are very detailed and include lots of scale features, but I am considering not having the flaps operational but building them exactly as per plan in terms of appearance, but having them non-operational.

The Fiesler is very much a high wing tail dragger, falling into the Piper Cub 72" ws, Fokker DViii 65" ws style. I have both of these aircraft (also scatchbuilt) and neither had flaps shown on the plans and were subsequently not built with them.

Any thoughts/opinions about my having the flaps operational or non-operational would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:16 AM
r_kopka
Electric Only

The outstanding thing about the Storch(full size) is its slowflying capability. That should also remain in a model and for that flaps are very useful.

RK
Old 04-13-2012, 06:22 PM
Nodd
Build something.

What is you reasoning for not making the flaps operational?

If the full scale aircraft used them, I'd say make them operational on the model too. 70" wingspan is plenty large enough that the added weight/complexity shouldn't be an issue.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:37 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

The Storch is all about flaps. STOL is its only function. I say yes they should work.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:41 AM
BroncoSquid
Workin on it...

Originally Posted by liposucker View Post
My query relates to flaps. The plans are very detailed and include lots of scale features, but I am considering not having the flaps operational but building them exactly as per plan in terms of appearance, but having them non-operational.
If you are going to go through all of the trouble to building the flaps exactly per plan, why not make them functional and just not use them untill you are comfortable.

Side Note: Are the landing gear functional on those plans?

I have a set of plans for a 46"WS Storch by Robert Caso that is next on the board after I finish my Microstang.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:28 AM
liposucker

Hi all

Thanks for all the input.

I think I was trying to make a weight saving, but I guess the replies are starting to swing me toward operational flaps and a small weight increase.

Side note to BroncoSquid...the landing gear is a very complex bit of engineering that create a functional unit.

Thanks again for the input.