Charger Questions - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Charger Questions

Old 05-05-2012, 04:45 AM
craigrs84

Default Charger Questions

I was thinking of purchasing an iCharger 106B+. It's rated at 250W and costs $90. I don't really need the whole 250 watts since I only own 3 cell batteries currently but sort of wanted to buy up in case I ever get bigger batteries.

I have an old AIX power supply from my old computer. Its only rated at 12V - 14 amps, so that comes out to 168 Watts, which is underpowered for the iCharger 106B+. Was wondering if I can still use it for the time being and not suffer any performance hit in charging power / time since I'm only charging 3 cell batteries at the moment. Will using an underpowered 168 Watt power supply with a 250W charger cause any other issues? Also would this be enough power to parallel charge two 3 cell lipos (2100 mA) at the same time?

Thanks.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:49 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by craigrs84 View Post
I was thinking of purchasing an iCharger 106B+. It's rated at 250W and costs $90. I don't really need the whole 250 watts since I only own 3 cell batteries currently but sort of wanted to buy up in case I ever get bigger batteries.

I have an old AIX power supply from my old computer. Its only rated at 12V - 14 amps, so that comes out to 168 Watts, which is underpowered for the iCharger 106B+. Was wondering if I can still use it for the time being and not suffer any performance hit in charging power / time since I'm only charging 3 cell batteries at the moment. Will using an underpowered 168 Watt power supply with a 250W charger cause any other issues? Also would this be enough power to parallel charge two 3 cell lipos (2100 mA) at the same time?

Thanks.
Don't know about the Icharger, but my Cellpro Powerlab 8 charger can be programmed to limit its maximum required INPUT current to be lower than the maximum output current of your power supply. That Powerlab 8 can charge any battery out there. If a new chemistry type battery should come available, you can download new software from Cellpro to charge that new battery. These chargers won't become obsolete.

Check out the Cellpro Multi 4S charger.
http://www.store.revolectrix.com/Pro...pro-Multi4_129

http://www.store.revolectrix.com/Products/Cellpro-10s_2

Also the Cellpro 10S and 6S, but the 6S is more $$$$. The 10S also includes adjustable input current limiting to protect your power supply. These chargers also allow custom charging settings for your specific batteries, with the name of your battery displayed on the chargers LCD display. (For that you also need to buy the computer USB interface programming cable.)

Last edited by kyleservicetech; 05-05-2012 at 06:06 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:18 PM
nidly

If we trust or at least use the numbers of the ps then you'll be good for doing any job up to about 168 watts. Since you current max is 10 amps and your voltage max is probably 12.6 then you won't need anything more than 126 watts (and that for very short time)

It sounds like a very nice logical match to me.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:19 PM
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Except for a couple of things. The power supplies are rated at 3.3, 5 and 12v's, and all of those combines makes up your wattage for the power supply. Only about half of the power supply's amprage is on the 12v rail, some are more some are much less.

Look at the amp ratings on the individual rails, and see what the 12v rail will avtually do amp wise. Multiply amps by volts to get watts. So low power computers only use the 3.3 and 5v rails, so some will not even have a 12v rail for anything more then the hard drive or cdrom.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:20 PM
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Nevermind, just re- read your first post and saw you were using the 12 rail. Sorry, ignore me.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:22 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by hayofstacks View Post
Nevermind, just re- read your first post and saw you were using the 12 rail. Sorry, ignore me.
Yup, good points here. Not all of those computer power supplies with multiple output voltages have a lot of current output on their 12 VDC rail. You have to read the specs on those things.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:54 AM
Big Johnny
Master Of The Crash

Dennis I'm saving my penny's to get me a Powerlab 8. It's tough to buy expensive tools while on a fixed income. Seven years ago I fell off a Motor Grader while repairing it and broke my back in 4 places. Going from 70K to 25K a year puts a crimp in the ole pocketbook. I also have 3 kids that come before my toys. That's why a save and buy quality equipment, its just a better investment. Thats why I only used Snap-On Tools when I worked. Buy cheap, buy twice. The cheap one then the quality one to replace it. About the only thing I'm not picky about is Lipo's. The cheap ones seem to last as long a the high priced ones. I'm having to replace some 1500 Blue Lipos from Hobby Partz after 3 years and hundreds of charges. I think I got my $20.00 worth.