Lipo Fire Incidents and How they Occur - Page 3 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Lipo Fire Incidents and How they Occur

Old 10-22-2005, 05:56 AM
hoppy
Watts up Doc?

They say they don't have "official current ratings".
Old 10-22-2005, 09:02 AM
qban_flyer

Question

Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
They say they don't have "official current ratings".
That's very interesting, isn't it?

Old 10-22-2005, 09:13 AM
qban_flyer

Lightbulb Li-Po Charging Containers

This is the way I have been charging my Li-Po packs since June of this year.

Got mine as a gift from a fellow modeler and good friend of mine, but they can be purchased from Suzie Goose Hobbies in Rockville, MD. It is a ceramic, fire proof container that I have chosen to call the "Li-Po Charging Safe".

Price for the type and size I have is $17 although they have other sizes, shapes and colors. They will also customize them to the customers wishes.

They are best contacted through e-mail [email protected] or by phone @ 301-279-2966, if by phone, ask for Roy Smith the proprietor, he is available weekdays from 10 am through 12:30 pm though I would suggest the e-mail route as being the surest way of getting in touch with him regarding this particular item.

Photos of mine attached below.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	chargin-bunker-01.jpg
Views:	741
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	2958   Click image for larger version

Name:	charging-bunker-02.jpg
Views:	690
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	2959  

Last edited by qban_flyer; 10-23-2005 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Photo change

Old 10-22-2005, 03:39 PM
Vinman

qban, That looks like it would be safe. But what about heat during charge. Doesen't the batt need to be in the open so it stays cool and don't over heat.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:59 PM
Unbalanced prop
Watt, No fuel?

Originally Posted by Vinman View Post
qban, That looks like it would be safe. But what about heat during charge. Doesen't the batt need to be in the open so it stays cool and don't over heat.
Lipolys should Never get hot or warm while charging. If they do something is wrong!!

Doug
Old 10-22-2005, 11:42 PM
hoppy
Watts up Doc?

Talking about hot lipo's and something being wrong, reminded me of the fireworks technician - on the back of his T-Shirt it said, "If You See Me Running, Try To Keep Up". (From a Readers Digest)
Old 10-23-2005, 12:55 AM
qban_flyer

Talking

Talking about hot lipo's and something being wrong, reminded me of the fireworks technician - on the back of his T-Shirt it said, "If You See Me Running, Try To Keep Up". (From a Readers Digest)
HE, HE, HE. I would definitely keep that in mind.

When Li-Pos get warm to the point of risking getting damaged, they begin to "inflate" like a balloon ceasing to be flat packs. If you see that happening, run for your life after you dump two bucketfulls of sand on the offending pack(s).

Old 10-23-2005, 12:58 AM
qban_flyer

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Vinman View Post
In the time I have been using Li-Po packs (3 years) I have yet to feel one of them getting warmer than room temperature. Since the container is at room temperature, the pack will be just as safe inside the container as it would be outside.

Our safety is what the container will be protecting.

Old 10-29-2005, 10:15 PM
hoppy
Watts up Doc?

List updated
Old 10-29-2005, 10:27 PM
DickCorby

I too have never had them get above room temperture with properly charge setup. The only over heating was if I go above 1C on the charger. I normally setup to charge at about 90-95% of the 1C rate.

On my latest creation (Ultra RC Fiberglass Scale Yak 54) I am drawing 65 AMPS static from a Dymond Modelsports 12C 4S-2P pack rated at 6000MAH. The motor and Batteries are just warm to the touch upon landing. Most likely because the entire flight is at about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle, except for a few seconds occasionally where I go vertical.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SmallYal_2.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	3206  
Old 10-29-2005, 10:40 PM
DickCorby

Our safety is what the container will be protecting.
When I first started using Li-po's I used a container such as this. Really was afraid of them. Now I haven't used it in over a year, and have to charge some of my packs in the aircraft due to configuration. Some models are ruined if you try to set up a way to remove the batteries every time. The Yak 54 Fiberglass would ential removing the prop and cowl every time to get them out. And at the IMAC contests, those flying electrics do the same.

I really just make sure of the charger being set right, and I have had no signs of problems.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:26 AM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DickCorby View Post
When I first started using Li-po's I used a container such as this. Really was afraid of them. Now I haven't used it in over a year, and have to charge some of my packs in the aircraft due to configuration. Some models are ruined if you try to set up a way to remove the batteries every time. The Yak 54 Fiberglass would ential removing the prop and cowl every time to get them out. And at the IMAC contests, those flying electrics do the same.

I really just make sure of the charger being set right, and I have had no signs of problems.
I used to charge my Li-Pos on a wooden bench in the basement. Been doing that for three years next month, without any problems. When we are careful, there is no reason for 'accidents' to happen. "Set it once and check it thrice", it's what my late grandfather used to say. He made his living re-winding electric motors of all sizes and types.

This container was given to me by a very good friend, so I use it regularly since it's available.

I know the pain it is removing and re-inserting battery packs in certain models, and the fact that some can get damaged in that process, especially when it is as involved as it is in your case.

BTW, that's a mighty fine looking YAK-54 you have there. Really nice!

Old 10-30-2005, 05:07 PM
hoppy
Watts up Doc?

Update
Old 10-30-2005, 08:05 PM
Heidelberg Germany Flyer
US Citizen, Overseas...

List updated
Hi Hobby!

Thanks for updating your list. I published a copy of the original list for each member of my flying club. Got some interesting reactions (expressions of their faces), and noticed the members are more careful. At least we all have metal storage containers, now and we're not charging next to the car motor.

Appreciate all the work you did to publish, and update. Any chance you could use a different color when you update. Was your updated info just items 117 and 118?

HGF
Old 10-30-2005, 09:55 PM
hoppy
Watts up Doc?

Thank you HGF,
Yes, 117 and 118 were the updates.
hoppy
Old 10-30-2005, 09:55 PM
DickCorby

One thing I do use is a fireproof container to transport and store the Li-Po's. It is a fireproof safe that I got at Fry's computer. In addition I always keep it in the front seat just in case. It would be a quick thing to pull over and throw it out the window if something should happen. I also have a fire extinguisher within easy reach at my workbench.

When my Quique Yak crashed, the batteries were really banged and misshapened, but cool. We kept them at hand, (I wanted to remove the connectors etc. back at the shop). and about an hour after the crash I picked them up and they had begun to warm up. Immediately cut off the wiring and doused them in Salt water, and they did their thing allowing them to be discarded the next day.

Note that it was about an hour after the crash that they began to warm up. So just because they are cool right after a crash, it doesn't mean they are not going to go up later.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:59 PM
DickCorby

Originally Posted by qban_flyer View Post
When Li-Pos get warm to the point of risking getting damaged, they begin to "inflate" like a balloon ceasing to be flat packs. If you see that happening, run for your life after you dump two bucketfulls of sand on the offending pack(s).
I think they are more like sausages, but same results.:p
Old 10-30-2005, 10:16 PM
qban_flyer

Exclamation

Originally Posted by DickCorby View Post
I think they are more like sausages, but same results.:p
Something like two McDonalds apple pies stacked together, bottom to bottom.

Once the begin to 'inflate' that way it's time to get the sand bucket and cover them up!

Old 10-31-2005, 12:33 AM
DickCorby

Originally Posted by qban_flyer View Post
Something like two McDonalds apple pies stacked together, bottom to bottom.

Once the begin to 'inflate' that way it's time to get the sand bucket and cover them up!
The recommended action that I read was to get them immersed in water, and preferably salt water. I seldom have a bucket of sand near my workbench, but it is a short run to the bathroom sink and get them immersed.