Anybody heard of a SAPAC Extra 330L? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

RCU RSS Feed RC Unviverse General Electric Discussion forum rss feed

Anybody heard of a SAPAC Extra 330L?

Old 10-29-2006, 05:30 PM
RSS Feed

Default Anybody heard of a SAPAC Extra 330L?

I have come across a 3D Extra 330L on ebay made by a company called SAPAC (Chinese). Kit is RTF with: B2025 400Kv inrunner, 8:1 gearbox, 18A E...

More...
Old 12-30-2006, 11:11 PM
99m6z28
Flying By!

Its not bad! I have one and got it as my second plane. The controls can be a little twichy but not bad. I have about 15 successful flights on mine but I just recently crashed badly. I had to order a new fuse, main wing, and rudder. Only cost about 50.00 to fix it and it is back in my room waiting to fly again. I now have 3 planes and the Extra is by far the hardest to fly. It will sit a little longer until I get a little more experience and while I enjoy my new Stryker F27-C.
If you decide to buy it, good luck to you!
Oh yeah, mine also came with a free simulator!
Brent
Old 12-30-2006, 11:15 PM
99m6z28
Flying By!

I also forgot to say that the landing gear are really cheap amd bend easily but they get the job done, and the prop shaft breaks really easily. I broke one before I ever fly mine!
Old 01-15-2007, 07:15 AM
staticbags

Default i have sapac extra330L

i have one and it is not bad. I was searching to find out if anyone else has pos or neg thoughts about it. your post was back in oct so i am too late helping, but here are my thoughts.
1.This plane is not for beginner. need to be intermediate for it. was my 3rd and i did fine, but beat it up a little.
2.)the gear and prop give NO room for hard landing so you do break a lot of gears and they cost $5 each. I have bought over 20 of them. they have a new plane coming out to fix this.
3. the radio is crap! it seemed fine at first, then i started getting glitches. I can't fix it. tried for 2 months. just installed my new spectrum to fix issue. I also haved a second in the box plane for friend i am sending back b/c of radio glitches
4.) plane is ok for money i guess, but no instructions on how to handle lipos and a cheap cheap charger. I already have one lipo swelling so i think quality is poor.

5. all in all not bad for $200 RTF, but expect to toss radio.

if you want more details, email me.

jeff h
Old 03-12-2007, 05:14 AM
s-10promod

Default Sapac Extra 330

I also bought one on E-bay it's ok for the money,but it has some real issues that need to be solved before flying. Mine lost the spinner and landing gear on the first two flights. Mine also had the glitches bad enough to plant it's self if it's too low,I found that the ant. wire was wrapped around the rec. about three times, after fixing this the glitches are almost gone except at farther distances. Also the nylon bolt and nut plate for the wing holdown need to be replaced with better fasteners BEFORE you fly!!!!(Lawn Dart!!!) All for all it's worth what they are selling them for I think.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:01 AM
quankmaster

Thumbs down Sapac Extra 330 no good

I've had my Sapac 330 for 2 months. Here's my story:

Problem 1. yes, it is pretty poor quality. The hinges work lose, my tail fell off while flying and caused me to crash once. one of 2 new planes was damaged from bad packing. Foam is very thin and after a while things loosen up and need to be glued. Servos aren't glued in and one worked loose. You'll spend more time fixing this plane than flying it, and it won't be the result of poor flying.

Problem 2. I switched to a replacement prop (OEM) from park Flyers - it says Sapac right on it. It was 13", which sounds way to big for this plane/motor. both planes shipped with 11X4.3 NOT the 13" the box says. My speed controller burned up, so i bought an E-Flight, which melted up too, melted my battery and fried my motor, melted part of my plane too. After investigation, i think it was the motor but also found out Sapac only ships the 11" prop with the plane now while Park Flyers still sells the 13" replacement. Anybody know why?

Problem 3. About a week later, my fathers Sapac Extra (bought at same time) burnt the Speed controller and motor up. He WAS NOT using the larger prop, just the 11X4/.3 or whatever ships with the newest 330. So we ordered replacement motors and swore never to use the OEM Sapac props that park flyers will send you as "replacement".

Problem 4. Got 2 new OEM motors and speed controllers. One motor only makes barely enough thrust to keep the plane in the air, the other works normally.

Problem 5. the new motor and speed controller combo already failed and the motor is hard to turn and won't work. This makes 4 out of 4 motors bad!!!

Problem 6. Meanwhile, about half my crashes are from glitches. I read the few forums which people are talking about this plane and I see it's not just my system. My fathers had the same issues with his. His pro will spin while his plane is sitting there and he's not touching the radio. Full-rate twitching makes for some crazy flying that is hardly recoverable.

Problem 7. Both our tail wheels broke off. Maybe hard landings, but this plane isn't easy to fly or land.

Problem 8. Stock wheels are no good. I had to buy a mod the wheel pants to make the thing actually roll.

So what is the point of this plane? It's not 3D on a budget because I've spent way more time and money now. If the radio is no good (both ours glitch) and the motors/ESC's fail (4 out of 4) AND the plane is junky, then what is the point? I hardly ran it at more than 50% trottle most of the time.

i believe there might be people out there who haven't had these issues, but I haven't seen those posts on the internet, and this is 4 out of 4 bad parts and generally poor quality. i spent hours and hours covering mine in ultracote and it looks great now, but i could have just bought a great looking plane, put a nice ESC/motor combo in, bought a new radiom, etc and I would have spent the same money, but would have nice equipment, not junk.

It is fun to fly, but then this post isn't about how it flies, which i have a feeling is poor compared to a decent quality plane. And forget talking to Sapac. have you seen their website or heard about the Japamerican manual the plane comes with.

i vote stay away from this plane.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:39 AM
Skykid Baker

I bought one on Ebay a while back...(just recently crashed it to doing stupid things...)

This plane for a cheap RTF is a very good deal. Comes with li-po, all servos, and I dunno about you guys but I got the one with the 5400kv motor and the 20amp ESC and it rocks out for the price.

Had 6 flights on it before I tried getting real crazy which didn't work out as planned

I am buying the complete arf rebuild kit from raidentech tomorrow to get it back up
Old 03-19-2007, 06:53 AM
Skykid Baker

Originally Posted by quankmaster View Post

i believe there might be people out there who haven't had these issues, but I haven't seen those posts on the internet, and this is 4 out of 4 bad parts and generally poor quality. i spent hours and hours covering mine in ultracote and it looks great now, but i could have just bought a great looking plane, put a nice ESC/motor combo in, bought a new radiom, etc and I would have spent the same money, but would have nice equipment, not junk.

I highly doubt you could buy a "nice" plane,ESC,motor,li-po AND radio for the amount of money this RTF kit costs. Not sure what you paid for it but it is easily had for under 120$ for the RTF. A "nice" ESC would be a phoenix-35 but it's 85 $, more than half the cost of the whole RTF kit. A radio which could be considered nice (unless you have low standards) costs at LEAST 100 -150. There is no way you could buy "nice" radio gear and a plane for less than $150.

If you do find a place though let me know.

Also maybe if you had a decent radio you would not have experienced glitches which could have resulted in better flights ?
Old 04-01-2007, 03:02 AM
quankmaster

Thumbs down

Let me clarify please. Here's what I spent:

Plane: 150, ebay
New motor from sapac which also failed $20
New Esc, castle creations $60
Second ESC after 1st failed/melted $45
New Himax motor/gearbox combo $80
Parts because when everything failed I crashed and the battery melted my plane $30?
Ultracote - $25 and hours

That's 410.00 US dollars!!! Now that it's all fixed, should I fly it again with the crap twitchy electronics that 20 other people on the internet complain about too? Or should I go ahead and spend another $200.

This way I'll have a $610 Sapac Ectra 330L that should have flown properly and worked right for $150ebay $200 retail??

That's what I meant by "I could have bought a nice plane and avoided all this". Good advise for anybody trying to save money buying a bargan plane. There are plenty of bargan planes (I have some) that are great and work as advertised, so buy one of them instead!

PS- now that I have the $400 Sapac with everything new, it's great, but the only original thing is the foam!
Old 06-07-2008, 04:27 AM
RC_Fun

Default Answer to some of your questions

Originally Posted by quankmaster View Post
I've had my Sapac 330 for 2 months. Here's my story:

Problem 1. yes, it is pretty poor quality. The hinges work lose, my tail fell off while flying and caused me to crash once. one of 2 new planes was damaged from bad packing. Foam is very thin and after a while things loosen up and need to be glued. Servos aren't glued in and one worked loose. You'll spend more time fixing this plane than flying it, and it won't be the result of poor flying.

Problem 2. I switched to a replacement prop (OEM) from park Flyers - it says Sapac right on it. It was 13", which sounds way to big for this plane/motor. both planes shipped with 11X4.3 NOT the 13" the box says. My speed controller burned up, so i bought an E-Flight, which melted up too, melted my battery and fried my motor, melted part of my plane too. After investigation, i think it was the motor but also found out Sapac only ships the 11" prop with the plane now while Park Flyers still sells the 13" replacement. Anybody know why?

Problem 3. About a week later, my fathers Sapac Extra (bought at same time) burnt the Speed controller and motor up. He WAS NOT using the larger prop, just the 11X4/.3 or whatever ships with the newest 330. So we ordered replacement motors and swore never to use the OEM Sapac props that park flyers will send you as "replacement".

Problem 4. Got 2 new OEM motors and speed controllers. One motor only makes barely enough thrust to keep the plane in the air, the other works normally.

Problem 5. the new motor and speed controller combo already failed and the motor is hard to turn and won't work. This makes 4 out of 4 motors bad!!!

Problem 6. Meanwhile, about half my crashes are from glitches. I read the few forums which people are talking about this plane and I see it's not just my system. My fathers had the same issues with his. His pro will spin while his plane is sitting there and he's not touching the radio. Full-rate twitching makes for some crazy flying that is hardly recoverable.

Problem 7. Both our tail wheels broke off. Maybe hard landings, but this plane isn't easy to fly or land.

Problem 8. Stock wheels are no good. I had to buy a mod the wheel pants to make the thing actually roll.

So what is the point of this plane? It's not 3D on a budget because I've spent way more time and money now. If the radio is no good (both ours glitch) and the motors/ESC's fail (4 out of 4) AND the plane is junky, then what is the point? I hardly ran it at more than 50% trottle most of the time.

It is fun to fly, but then this post isn't about how it flies, which i have a feeling is poor compared to a decent quality plane. And forget talking to Sapac. have you seen their website or heard about the Japamerican manual the plane comes with.

Hi mate.
Just a few things I know about these Planes

1. Looks like you had a bad run. I have sold about 50 of these and apart from damage have not had the hinges or the servos come loose but with this hobby anything seems possible.

2. The reason for the 2 different sized props is that originaly these came with a 4100kv motor that suited a 13 inch prop. They were upgraded in late 2007 with a 5400kv that would only run a 11 inch prop. Sapac in thier wisdom did not advertise this and most suppliers who did not fly them were not aware of this difference. On both of these they were set up to run at about 18 Amps. With the wrong prop the 5400kv will run up to 29Amps so this explains the electrics burning up.

3. As these are right on the edge with current draw just running them with a slightly bent shaft or damaged Gear (Pinion or Spur) will lift the amps quite considerably. I checked the Amps on one after a bad landing and it was running 30 amps. The guy that owned the plane thought it would be OK to have another flight untill he saw that as it was just a bit noisy.

4. MMM MMM 1 dud motor

5. Hard to tell without Knowing the set up

6. Yes I totaly agree I now sell them ARF only Not RTF because of this. Some that I have seen that are having problems I have changed the receiver to a Esky one (Part EK 0420) and this reduces the radio problems to something that is useable. The Sapac radio's only range test to about half the distance that you will get from a JR or Futarba so you will never get them as good. It is all about what you pay I suppose.

7. Yes most tail wheels are lucky to survive the assembly let alone the first flight. These are quite a nimble model in experienced hands and perform quite well for the money but I sugest to all that for the first few flights reduce all control movements to the minimums or set up dual rates or if your radio has expo use it.

8. The original wheels will not work on grass unless you are on a hard concrete surface.

Hope this is of helps to some
Old 06-21-2008, 04:40 PM
dditch66

RC FUN,
Are these supposed to come w/ a USB cable for the transmitter? mine came w/ just what looks like a mono headphone jack. Nothing to connect to PC.

Transmitter Aileron was bad. Looks like it has a bad potentiometer on the transmitter. My seller supplied it w/ a ch54 system to match my Futaba 8U so it was not a total bust.

I'm going to spend the time to do the mods that have been suggested on this forum before flying. I've already removed the wheel pants on mine and straightned out the landing gear. I already have 2 other balanced lipo chargers to use so I've tossed the included non balancing charger that came w/ it.

BTW, Mine came w/ the 11 inch prop, Also a spare prop, gear set, some screws and misc hardware.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:36 PM
RC_Fun

Default USB Cable

No they dont come with a cable. The pluge is for the trainer cable