100+ MPH Club - Page 2 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

100+ MPH Club

Old 01-18-2008, 10:08 PM
Liquidity
Combat Vet

First one!
Old 01-18-2008, 10:39 PM
Mike Freas

If it's not to much trouble I suggest making a 125 and 150 mph club also. While we are talking about it a 1 KW, 1.5 KW and 2kW clubs would be cool also seeing I would be in a few of these.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:18 AM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

Personally, I think 100, 125 and 150 are too close. Might I suggest 100, 150 and 200? like bronze, silver and gold medals Then to really top it off (and add a spirit of competition), an "uber prize" for the [i]absolute[/i ] fastest?
Old 01-19-2008, 01:51 AM
Kosh
Super Contributor

200mph ???

Speed cost money and plenty of it, Look at the guys running the Funjets on $100 motors and 5 cell lipos to break 130mph. I think you would be lucky to find 8 on the whole forum that have approached 150 mph in a powered RC Plane. 100 mph is a achievable benchmark for many that doesn't break the bank getting there I believe.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:17 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

I Like the First one too
Old 01-19-2008, 03:36 AM
Liquidity
Combat Vet

Chellie, I never got your video.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:37 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Mike Parsons View Post

Nice Work Mike Is there someway to copy and drop/paste videos here on post, other than using youtube or Google Mike, Just wondering, Chellie
Old 01-19-2008, 06:10 AM
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

Some tips on dopplar readings and speed runs

The software can be downloaded here:

http://www.sprut.de/electronic/soft/scope.htm#download

There is also a user guide. Its in german, but you can still figure it out pretty easily from the pictures

How to get good doplar readings

You dont need a seperate michrophone to record sound from the video. Just start Windows Sound Recorder and record the audio as the video is playing on your laptop in a seperate window. Thats how I do it

This is all assuming you are using a windows based machine. If its a Mac you'll have to come up with something similar on your own. I dont do Mac's

I use a program called Windows Sound Recorder (comes with all windows machines as far as I know) to capture the sound portion of the video in real time as it plays on the computer.

On my machine its under All Programs/Accessories/Entertainment for some silly reason.

1)Start the Sound Recorder program - but dont push the "Record" buttom yet.

2) go to YouTube or where ever and start the video playing. You can also start it playing on your machine if its already downloaded.

You dont need to download it first unless it wont play at full speed while your on-line. It must be playing at normal speed tho to get a good reading.

3)as the video plays, keep Sound Recorder on top and use the Record and Stop buttons to record the section of the video you want to test as it plays.

4)You can use Sound recorder Edit tools to cut out sections of the recorded sound file if you need to. You only need 5 to 8 seconds of recording depending on the quality and how good the pass is.

5)Then save the sound file using the "Save As" comand. When you click on "Save As" you will see a buttom at the bottom of the pop up window labeled "Format". Change the format to 8 bit, 8khz, mono. That seems to work best. Then save the file as a WAV file.

6) Start the dopplar program, load your saved sound file and go to town

How to make a good speed run - flying for best dopplar readings

Idealy, make one run in each direction so we can average out the wind factor. Make the runs early in the flight while the pack is still fresh.

Make each run level and straight and try to pass as close to the camera as possible with no climbing, diving or turning befor, durring or imediately after the pass.

Oh - and dont change the throttle setting untill your well past either.

A nice level run startring about 2 or 3 seconds before and after you pass the camera is enough. Longer is better but not necesary.

Durring those 4 to 6 seconds you need to be flying level and straight and at full power the entire way. DO NOT CHANGE THROTTLE SETTINGS, do not climb, do not dive, do not turn.

I think that pretty well covers it, but feel free to ask questions

Larry
Old 01-19-2008, 06:24 AM
Larry3215

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Ok Kewl its almost there a few laps to trim it out, one quick wot to make sure it would not climb with full throttle, then let it RIP this is my second maiden flight, I am using a 4.75 X 4.75 apc prop, Take care, Chellie

I couldnt get any good readings from this video Chellie. Early on the speed was probably in the 60-70 mph range. Later when you were running at full throttle is may have been up in the 80's but the readings were just too vague to tell for sure.

See my notes above on how to fly for a good speed reading

Below are the screen shots from your runs and from one that gave a much nicer reading to measure from.

Your slow readings (earlyin the video) were clearer on the sound recording and easier to get readings from. The faster runs were not clear on where they start/end and so its iffy on readings. The 3rd shot shows a nice clean run where good readings can be gotten from and a more accurate speed calculated.

Larry

Larry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	chellieslow.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	52665   Click image for larger version

Name:	chelliefast.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	52666   Click image for larger version

Name:	speed good.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	52667  
Old 01-19-2008, 06:25 AM
Larry3215

Nice Work Mike Is there someway to copy and drop/paste videos here on post, other than using youtube or Google Mike, Just wondering, Chellie
YouTube or Putfile or where ever works fine. See my notes above

Larry
Old 01-19-2008, 07:50 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Liquidity View Post
Chellie, I never got your video.
Hi Liquidity I tried twice to send them, but the video was too big, I am working with Kosh in trying to use another way to send the video, I am not very comp savy, so it might take me a little while to learn how to get the video sent with a E Mail, I will be making another run tomorrow, so hopefully I will have some better video, using Larrys suggestions, Take care, Chellie
Old 01-19-2008, 07:51 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
YouTube or Putfile or where ever works fine. See my notes above

Larry
Thank you very Much Larry I will use your suggestions tomorrow when making another run, Take care, Chellie
Old 01-19-2008, 08:00 AM
Larry3215

Thank you very Much Larry I will use your suggestions tomorrow when making another run, Take care, Chellie
Remember - try to fly as close to the camera person as they will tollerate without ducking

The perfect run would be right thru the camera, but thats not really necessary and its hard on the camera person

TheDon did some math on it and flying a good ways off to one side only costs a few % in error.

Straight and level and no turns and no throttle changes is probably most important.

Try to get an equal run distance before and after the closest approach to the camera too.

The dopplar works by comparing the frequency shift as the plane flys towards the camer and then away from it. So just flying around up in the air or in circles does no good.

You must fly towards the camera then away from it to get a good recording of the change in frequency. Its that change that does it.

Larry
Old 01-19-2008, 08:17 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Remember - try to fly as close to the camera person as they will tollerate without ducking

The perfect run would be right thru the camera, but thats not really necessary and its hard on the camera person

TheDon did some math on it and flying a good ways off to one side only costs a few % in error.

Straight and level and no turns and no throttle changes is probably most important.

Try to get an equal run distance before and after the closest approach to the camera too.

The dopplar works by comparing the frequency shift as the plane flys towards the camer and then away from it. So just flying around up in the air or in circles does no good.

You must fly towards the camera then away from it to get a good recording of the change in frequency. Its that change that does it.

Larry
Great Advice, Thanks Again Larry
Old 01-19-2008, 08:26 AM
Kosh
Super Contributor

Larry
Been there, Done that already. I loose more cameramen that way so now I encase them in six layers of bubble wrap.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:31 AM
Larry3215

Originally Posted by Kosh View Post
Been there, Done that already. I loose more cameramen that way so now I encase them in six layers of bubble wrap.

Ive seen your crash video so I believe it!

Larry
Old 01-19-2008, 08:34 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Ive seen your crash video so I believe it!

Larry

Old 01-19-2008, 02:43 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

My vote is for the award symbol in Kosh's post.....I like the combination of what Mike had (the TOP one) and the WF logo.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:09 PM
Liquidity
Combat Vet

Chellie - about 65mph

Mike - About 139mph, but there was a lot of background noise and the graph looked horrible
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Chellie Doppler.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	52711   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mike Dopler.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	52712  
Old 01-19-2008, 10:38 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Liquidity View Post
Chellie - about 65mph

Mike - About 139mph, but there was a lot of background noise and the graph looked horrible

Thank you
Old 01-19-2008, 11:05 PM
Liquidity
Combat Vet

No problem. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:37 AM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

Originally Posted by Kosh View Post
200mph ???

Speed cost money and plenty of it, Look at the guys running the Funjets on $100 motors and 5 cell lipos to break 130mph. I think you would be lucky to find 8 on the whole forum that have approached 150 mph in a powered RC Plane. 100 mph is a achievable benchmark for many that doesn't break the bank getting there I believe.
Hmm, I thought I had read that some people here had attained that speed. Oh well. 100, 125 b1nd 150 then.

How about The "Uber Award" for the first one to break the 200 barrier?
Old 01-20-2008, 01:24 AM
Mike Parsons
Penguins still can't fly

My recommendation is to have 100, 150 and 200. Much simpler that way. I understand there is a large difference when it comes to speed between 100-150, but that is the fun in it.

It was a topic of discussion when the KW club started up in making the milestones at half kW marks (1.5, 2.5), but the milestones were set further apart to push the limits.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:40 AM
rcproptester
We the People...

This is just a little OT, but I thought that the AMA frowned on anything above 200Mph.
Or maybe it was the FAA...
Old 01-20-2008, 02:54 AM
Mike Parsons
Penguins still can't fly

Originally Posted by rcproptester View Post
This is just a little OT, but I thought that the AMA frowned on anything above 200Mph.
Or maybe it was the FAA...
You are correct:
The maximum velocity will be 200 mph.
So I think 100 and 150 should be the limits abiding by general rule.

Quick Reply: 100+ MPH Club

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.13893 seconds with 14 queries