How Do I Mount My Outrunner Motor ? - Page 8 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

How Do I Mount My Outrunner Motor ?

Old 02-12-2010, 03:20 PM
Huffy01
Huffy01

Would someone be able to tell me the procedure for turning the shaft around on a Turnigy 42-70.
I bought a second hand plane which has the motor in front of the mount.
I had problem with this plane so I used parts of it to scratch build a new one.
As it my first scratch build I probably haven't built it properly and may wish to build something different with the motor mounted behind the firewall.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:34 PM
radialarm
Crash Test Clown!!!

Originally Posted by Huffy01 View Post
Would someone be able to tell me the procedure for turning the shaft around on a Turnigy 42-70.
I bought a second hand plane which has the motor in front of the mount.
I had problem with this plane so I used parts of it to scratch build a new one.
As it my first scratch build I probably haven't built it properly and may wish to build something different with the motor mounted behind the firewall.
It sounds like you have a radial prop mount that attaches to the motor bell with 4 screws, right? If that's correct then you need to buy a collet prop adapter for your shaft size, so you can attach the motor behind the firewall.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s..._shaft_(collet)

I couldn't find a 42-70, so measure your shaft. The other 42XX motors have a 5mm shaft.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:24 AM
Huffy01
Huffy01

Sorry ,I made a mistake with the model number .It's a Turnigy TR 4250-700kv outrunner.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...trunner_/_720W
If you look at the photo on the website the shaft is poking out of the large end which has the 4 mounting screws .The one I have the shaft is mount the other way the shaft would come out at the end you can see in the photo.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:47 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Sorry ,I made a mistake with the model number .It's a Turnigy TR 4250-700kv outrunner.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...trunner_/_720W
If you look at the photo on the website the shaft is poking out of the large end which has the 4 mounting screws .The one I have the shaft is mount the other way the shaft would come out at the end you can see in the photo.
you have to turn your motor around, and mount it like this, with a collet adapter for the prop, there are a few different motor mounts that you can use,

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=5283
Old 02-13-2010, 09:52 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s..._shaft_(collet)

Old 02-13-2010, 01:22 PM
Huffy01
Huffy01

Here a photo of the plane I bought ,it use to have a nitro motor in it and the previous owner started to convert it to electric, I guess that is why it is mounted in this fashion.
So the next plane that I am building has the motor mounted the same way.
I think that my construction of the new plane may fail I am thinking ahead to plan a new plane.
My question is how do I change the motor around so that it will mount inside the fuselage/behind the motor firewall.
I have all the other part you have suggested.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	new plane Wasp 008.jpg
Views:	5040
Size:	260.7 KB
ID:	120461  
Old 02-14-2010, 06:56 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

You dont use the prop adapter that mounts on the can of the motor, you use the X mount, with a collet prop adapter on the motor shaft, like in the picture below, you may or may not need the spacers as shown, depends on the cowel and clearance you have, you just turn the motor around, and dont use the prop adapter that screws onto the can, thats not used anymore.

Name:	TR4250-700.jpg
Views:	5145
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	120530  
Old 02-14-2010, 07:29 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Click on this link, and it will show the motor reversed, thats how you mount the motor behind the firewall, hope that helps, Chellie

http://www.modelflight.com.au/ProdIn...tor_manual.pdf
Old 02-14-2010, 08:02 AM
Huffy01
Huffy01

The photo on post #182 is the same motor as the one I have but the shaft is poking out of the end which is closest in the photo.
Is it possible to remove the shaft and change it to the same set up as the photo?
Old 02-14-2010, 08:20 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

The photo on post #182 is the same motor as the one I have but the shaft is poking out of the end which is closest in the photo.
Is it possible to remove the shaft and change it to the same set up as the photo?
Thats a good Question I dont know if your motor has been modified or came that way, with the shaft in a different position other than the photo from HK, Maybe some one else with motor rebuilding skills can chime in here, Take care, Chellie
Old 02-14-2010, 09:37 AM
Huffy01
Huffy01

I just ran down to my workshop and took a photo of it ,I hope it can explain a little better.

Name:	assorted 015.jpg
Views:	4848
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	120532  
Old 02-15-2010, 04:51 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

I just ran down to my workshop and took a photo of it ,I hope it can explain a little better.

To tell you the truth, the motor position looks correct where its at, you just need to extend the cowel out a little to cover the motor or add a new cowel, i would not change the motors position, hope that helps, Chellie

Old 02-15-2010, 05:00 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
you have to turn your motor around, and mount it like this, with a collet adapter for the prop, there are a few different motor mounts that you can use,

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=5283
I just used a mount similar to that one to mount my hacker in my big Pitts. Basically the same on that is in my Waco as well.

Name:	P2143101.jpg
Views:	1021
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	120626  
Old 02-15-2010, 05:08 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
I just used a mount similar to that one to mount my hacker in my big Pitts. Basically the same on that is in my Waco as well.
Hi Bill he has a odd ball motor, or someone modified it, its not like the motor from HK

HK motor.

huffy01 motor

Old 02-15-2010, 05:10 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

maybe someone turned the shaft around, i dont know if that can be done or not, some one with motor building experience may be able to chime in here
Old 02-15-2010, 05:11 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

It's not an oddball motor, the shaft has just been reversed.

There are some set screws, not visible in the pic, loosen them up and tap the shaft through to the other side.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:13 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
It's not an oddball motor, the shaft has just been reversed.

There are some set screws, not visible in the pic, loosen them up and tap the shaft through to the other side.
OK Great that helps Thank you, Chellie
Old 02-15-2010, 06:22 AM
Huffy01
Huffy01

I just had a closer look at it and could only find one grub screw and a circlip.
I managed to find an allen key to fit the grub screw ,loosened it ,then gave it a wack with a huge hammer and it worked.
I was a little scared that the bearing would come out too but it didn't move a mm.
After I took off the propeller adaptor I found a notch on the shaft.
If you look on the photo that CHELLIE posted it has a groove around the end . My motor has a circlip there I guess to stop the shaft coming out .
Thanks for the Help.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:25 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Yeah, put the c clip back on there and you're in business!
Old 11-20-2010, 10:41 PM
jumau
Got to expect losses...

Great references....Anybody has spec's for fitting a Turnigy SK 50-65 380Kv / 1820w

Thnks!
Old 12-13-2010, 06:39 PM
FL RV Flyer

Hi Chellie;
I have an Easy Star that I am putting an EMax 2812 motor on. I need to build a ply mount for the motor and was wondering which ply to use, 1/8" or 1/4". I plan to epoxy the mount on the outside of the EZ motor housing and then mount the motor to it. Also the angles of 3 degrees left and down, do they apply to pusher aircraft like the EZ.
By the way we have a mutual friend, Jeff, from Head Up RC is my mentor and teacher here in Ocklawaha, FL. His wife owns the RV park we call home in the winter. Jeff says hello to you,
Thanks Jack
Old 12-14-2010, 03:15 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by FL RV Flyer View Post
Hi Chellie;
I have an Easy Star that I am putting an EMax 2812 motor on. I need to build a ply mount for the motor and was wondering which ply to use, 1/8" or 1/4". I plan to epoxy the mount on the outside of the EZ motor housing and then mount the motor to it. Also the angles of 3 degrees left and down, do they apply to pusher aircraft like the EZ.
By the way we have a mutual friend, Jeff, from Head Up RC is my mentor and teacher here in Ocklawaha, FL. His wife owns the RV park we call home in the winter. Jeff says hello to you,
Thanks Jack
Hi Jack Dont say that at a Airport LOL, i would use the 1/4" ply, you wont need very much of it, and it wont weigh very much, and the screws will hold better in it, epoxy or gorilla glue the motor mount with out any down or right thrust, if you need down thrust or right thrust, add washers between the plywood and the motor mount to shim the thrust line, but i dont think you will need to do that, Hope that helps, Chellie

PS. Say Hi to Jeff for me and Welcome to Wattflyers
Old 12-31-2010, 09:25 AM
DL8698

Default How to mount motor on DG1000 glider?

Hi, everyone
Old 12-31-2010, 09:27 AM
DL8698

Glad I "stumbled" onto this thread. Originally was looking for guidance on how to setup a twin motor system, as I am thinking of a P38. Really lovely plane!

When I saw this thread, I realise this is a good place to ask how to mount my motor on to a DG1000 which is non-motorised.

This is the DG1000 glider I got, FOC from a friend
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=14419

and the motor I bought to fit in to the glider, TGY AerodriveXp 32 SK Series 35-48 900Kv / 770W
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7393

I intend to use 3s1p 1750 Rhino battery with a 12x8 folding prop.

Is it better to mount the motor in front or behind the firewall? I tend to think from point of view of strength it is better to mount motor behind the f/wall as there is less overhang in case I "land" the glider on the nose.

However, I guess the crash force has to go somewhere so if the mount does not break, the motor probably will, so motor in front of f/wall may be better. Breaking the mount is still preferred over breaking the motor, although breaking nothing is my preference

Does anyone know of a build thread where someone has converted a non-motorised DG1000 to motorised?
Old 12-31-2010, 09:48 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hi DL8689 here are a few ideas for you

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUBdAbq9t7I&feature=related[/media]

http://www.nitroplanes.com/ventus-di...sailplane.html
power pod

Quick Reply: How Do I Mount My Outrunner Motor ?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10203 seconds with 14 queries