ParkZone enters the fray! SE5a - Page 4 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WWI Era Discuss all your favorite WWI warbirds here!

ParkZone enters the fray! SE5a

Old 08-18-2011, 08:34 PM
wattman

the question , How to you like the Parkzone's more aggressive personality?

I like it a LOT !

I am a slow flyer type pilot , I am not a good quick pilot , the Wildcat F4F is TOO fast a flyer for my comfort zone , as are all WW2 fighters .
I finally got comfortable flying my Electrifly SE5a , it requires close attention , but I enjoy flying it , and The Electrifly Spad XIII its a nerve racking atttempt everytime for me , I have not crashed it , but as near as you can get several times , its for sale as a BNF .

The new PKZ SE5a , is a sweetheart for me , and it looks great , and flys much slower than what I thought that it would . Its different in the respect that it is heavy , slows down fast , and maybe will stall easy , I have not stalled mine yet , and I have gone pretty slow . But it feels to fly heavy , for lack of a better decripition .
The takeoff is NOT a full throttle and yank the stick back , it requires a takeoff roll to build up some speed and then lift off , its not a 3D airplane .
I would not change a thing on it , its as if they made it for me and my poor flying abilitys . Its a tail dragger , as all of my planes are , and I admit that I am slowly , a little at a time , grinding off the wing tips on the pavement where I fly , . Sometimes its so very perfect , and other times its touching a wingtip ........or two .
at half way on the throttle stick , it will cruise all day at a slow speed . Mine needs 3/4 or more throttle to do any loops , rolls , the best rolls are to the right , and other tricks to shake the hun off of my 6
I belive that if you fly the 250 size slow flyers , that you will like the PKZ SE5a , it does no float like a feather , but it is comfortable to fly and land , easier to land than the Electriflys biplanes , just pull back on the trrottle when you are lined up , let it drop comeing in , and about where you would flare , give a little throttle and extend the flair to just kiss the pavement and roll out , and return to where I am sitting in my chair , behind my van , taxi up and remove the battery and smile at the fun .

I had another beautiful early morning at the field , 5 batterys worth of flying the PKZ SE5a , FUN !

Anyway thats my feelings and thoughts .

Last edited by wattman; 08-18-2011 at 08:58 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:59 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Sounds like a totally authentic flier! Easier than the Electrifly, heavy enough not to freak out in the wind, plenty of non-3D power. This thing sounds like they finally have an RTF WWI plane that flies appropriately.

Anybody rigged the wings yet? It doesn't sound like that is necessary like it is in some of the overly light and bendy-winged WWI biplanes.

Sounds like after the Extra 300 monkey business, Parkzone came back to hit one out of the park.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:51 AM
wattman

Looking at the underside of the wings there does appear to be a buried spar of some type in both wings , they do flex a little bit .
If I am not flying it , I am looking at it at home and checking details , no , I am not petting it
Old 08-19-2011, 04:37 PM
wattman

With both the PKZ and Electrifly SE5a at the field today it was good back to back flights check out time . It came to mind that the Electrifly SE5a flys like a light weight acrobat , nimble and quick . And I thought that after flying the PKZ so many times the past two weeks , that I could now fly the Electrifly better than I previously used to .
The PKZ SE5a seems like it has a fully loaded fuel tank , and a rack of bombs onboard and full ammo boxes , it flys well , but it has weight .
Up to full throttle and flying it will perform stunts and fly quickly , but you are aware your plane is loaded .
Maybe thats the slowed down feeling I get when flying it , and when the wind kicked up this AM , the Electrifly really noticed it flying , whereas the PKZ was like "what wind "

I really do enjoy them both
Old 08-20-2011, 04:35 PM
wolfewinde

Well I ended up getting one of these yesterday. i should not be allowed to go anywhere near the LHS - LOL

Wolfe
Old 08-20-2011, 10:30 PM
wattman

We await your maiden flight and your thoughts

Old 08-20-2011, 11:39 PM
wolfewinde

Just finished the build. How well does this LG hold up?

Wolfe
Old 08-21-2011, 03:52 AM
wattman

Pretty stout landing gear compared to what we normaly get
I operate from pavement and its working well ..........so far .
Old 08-21-2011, 06:07 AM
SUPERSPORT

Has ParkZone commented on their screw up with the gun magazine?
Old 08-21-2011, 08:53 AM
OnEoFfCuStOm

I just bought the Great Planes Nieuport XI plane. I was really torn between the SE-5A and the Nieuport. I am really curious as to why some people choose the foam planes over the balsa built planes. As far as looks i think Great Planes has far better looks, and just seems it would be more stable and more durable. I could be way off base here as i have yet to fly my newly aquired WWI bi-plane.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:39 PM
wattman

I have crashed balsa built planes , and I have crashed foam planes ,

The foam planes are easier to repair , glue and tape the pieces and your back to fly .
The balsa built planes are better looking , BUT , the new foam planes are really closeing the gap .

The really biggest change to me is , the hobby has gone from the plans or a kit , and hours of construction , to now , when you can purchase at the LHS , charge the battery on the way to the field , and fly

Your new GP Nieuport XI is a beautiful plane .

I have the GP SE5a and thge Spad XIII , and just received the PKZ SE5a FOAM biplane .
Old 08-21-2011, 05:44 PM
wattman

Originally Posted by SUPERSPORT View Post
Has ParkZone commented on their screw up with the gun magazine?
If a MFR is going to screw up a new plane Then I am tickled silly that the screw up for the SE5a is that the lewis gun magazine was forgotten .

Old 08-23-2011, 02:42 AM
wolfewinde

I am with you Wattman - who cares if the gun isn't perfect. You can't see it when it flies anyway.

Got in the maiden on this plane tonight. Nosed over on the first couple of grass take off attempts, and the landing of course, but other than that she flew very well. Looks like you need to gun this plane with max up elevator to lift her off the grass. then be ready to level out as soon as she is in the air

She does not show her AUW much in the air. Had her set up at 85% rates across the board, 35% expo, 10% differential, and a 2200 mah 3s. Even at slightly reduced throws, rolls were crisp for a WWI bipe, loops tracked well after a touch of rudder trim, and she stalls straight over the nose.

She slows down well to land and flew nicely at 1/2 throttle, and flies quite smoothly. Did not try inverted tonight since it was getting dusk and orientation was a touchy.

Going to like this one - she looks good in the air. Only one battery since it was getting dark. Would be nice - if not truly scale - if the LG was bent a bit forward to counter the nose overs. My only complaint.

This one seems more stable in the air than my GP SE5a. The GP is quicker, more sudden. Because of it's extra weight, the PZ has a little of the "Momentum Factor" going for it that tends to smooth things out.

Wattman - I re-read your longer post above more carefully. You are not that bad a pilot if you can fly the GP SE5a - that one is not that easy to fly. If you want to fly a WWII warbird, take a look at the PZ Corsair. That one has a lot of wing and will fly pretty slowly and it glides in easily for landings

Wolfe

Last edited by wolfewinde; 08-23-2011 at 03:40 AM.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:32 AM
wattman

I am so glad that you had a good maiden flight and like the SE5a , you mentioning the grass takeoffs , made me remember this guys landing gear mods for grass / rough field take offs , startingt at posting #903
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...445624&page=61
you may have read it and already thinking about it , it seems to work .
I fly from pavement so thank goodness I do not need the mod .

And thanks for the help in explaining the feel of the PKZ plane , "Momentum Factor" yes thats the feel it has .

quote Wolfewind
This one seems more stable in the air than my GP SE5a. The GP is quicker, more sudden. Because of it's extra weight, the PZ has a little of the "Momentum Factor" going for it that tends to smooth things out

Get some more batterys for your SE5a
Old 08-23-2011, 04:29 PM
wolfewinde

Second flight on this one this morning. She flew very well. Was surprised that she does not drop the nose too much when you go inverted. Flew some inverted eights this morning and she handled those pretty well for a WWI bipe.

Can take off from pavement at this field so no nose over problems. Flipped on the grass landing, but they were cutting the grass when I left, so maybe tomorrow she will do better on shorter grass . You can land back on the pavement, but it is small area surrounded by cement posts, so I hate to risk that - if you land long you are in trouble there - maybe when I get more used to her.

Watt - I have extra batteries, but i usually only fly any plane a couple of times at most in the mornings, and usually take two planes to the field. Gets too hot here in Florida after 9 am, and there is work to consider LOL.

The grass field I use at night is only a couple minutes from the house, so I often just take one plane and one battery over there - just to get in my "fix" before it gets too dark after the wind dies off.

Have noticed that You and Reef and I fly several of the same airplanes - I enjoy that. Need to get my Rx-R back in the air, but in the meantime I am having fun getting used to the PZ Extra 300 - I like that airplane, but it is the most challenging plane that I fly. Not as relaxing as the Rx-R

Wolfe
Old 08-28-2011, 04:56 PM
wolfewinde

Got in another flight this one this morning in between the rain stopping and the wind coming up. This airplane is actually pretty fast for a WWI Bipe. Spent most of my time trying to just fly her as slow as I could to get used to that. She does slow down well, but the sticks get pretty mushy.

Tried to land her in the parking lot area - pretty small - you have to clear the parking bumpers as you come off the grass and then get her stopped before you hit them on the other side - 20 yds or so. I came in too low and just clipped the LG on the first set of bumpers and flipped the plane - zero damage though - tough little bird.

Wolfe
Old 08-29-2011, 02:42 AM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Thumbs up Spider Dave's Park Zone S.E.5a Maiden ....!!!

I was able to arrange for 3 other Buddies to meet up at a fantastic location we affectionately call "EDWARDS" for the simple reason it reminds us of that wide and vast runway area in the West Coast.

Well, it was time for Spider Dave to Maiden his brand new PARK ZONE S.E.5a and glad Ed was there for the festivities and being Jog Pilot to maiden the model for Spider Dave! The first flight was great but, the 2nd flight was even better as this model needs aileron+Rudder Mix and Ed programmed in for the 2nd flight!

A few pictures.......

Gee, I did not know that Spider Dave was so religious!

Okay, next up are some Videos of Spider Dave's Park Zone S.E.5a!!!

Stay tuned!
Old 08-29-2011, 02:43 AM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Thumbs up Spider Dave's Park Zone S.E.5a Maiden ....!!!

As Promised...

[media]http://www.vimeo.com/28281787[/media]

[media]http://www.vimeo.com/28282185[/media]
Old 08-29-2011, 03:23 AM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Thumbs up Videos at youtube

Okay here is the Videos @ YouTube in case you can not view them at Vimeo.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kdlNwfd0r0[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HaMFWSEf0w[/media]
Old 08-29-2011, 04:00 AM
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

Very nice flight! How much rudder did you mix in? That for sure looked 10x better on the second flight!
Old 08-29-2011, 04:03 AM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TM4197 View Post
Very nice flight! How much rudder did you mix in? That for sure looked 10x better on the second flight!
Hi

I was the one behind the Video Camera and I over heard Ed, the one who programmed Spider Dave's DX6i saying he did 50% whatever that means.

I do not use any Aileron+Rudder programming so, I would not know, at least not yet since I do not have this wonder model as of yet.

Carlos
Old 08-29-2011, 04:08 AM
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

Ahh..ok...thanks!! Very sweet Fighter!
Old 08-31-2011, 02:04 AM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Thumbs up Gerry's Maiden of his Park Zone S.E.5a

Video Capture of Gerry's 2nd Maiden Flight of his PARK ZONE SE5a

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkGrYBeATls
Old 08-31-2011, 02:12 AM
wolfewinde

Nice flight.

Wolfe
Old 08-31-2011, 02:19 AM
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

Nice scale flying!! The way it should be done! Next time you get a pattern buster....pull the charging handle back on that top weapon and let her rip! tat tat tat tat!

Quick Reply: ParkZone enters the fray! SE5a

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10810 seconds with 11 queries