B-47 8.77th (1:8.7669) Scale, Boeing Stratojet Component Assembly - Page 2 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

B-47 8.77th (1:8.7669) Scale, Boeing Stratojet Component Assembly

Old 05-30-2013, 01:36 AM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Default Tinman 3 ? ? ?

Originally Posted by pattern14 View Post
Still watching with interest Ed Good to see her coming together so well; a little more precise than my train transformer hotwire cutter and razor saw...I'm really looking forward to see how you apply the covering. P.S., how did you like Iron Man 3?

Too much Bling Flite-Metal covering is a breeze to apply and finish.

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 04-26-2016 at 09:53 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:53 PM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Default D' Reason It B

Here's one for your train transformer hot wire cutter... The Mk-15 sans parachutes (3) it slowly descended beneath.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk-15TransPNG.png
Views:	2374
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	169190  

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 07-08-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:50 PM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Default Chris Davey Contribution To Our B-47 Project.

I received email confirmation from Chris Davey, famous aviation illustrator for Osprey and other aviation
press that he shipped the 1980 Aviation News containing a centerfold of the Boeing B-47 and the inked
vellum illustration of the B-47 he drew for it. The magazine illustration is 1:72nd, and vellum is 1:48. I
will use these as the multiple view drawing in my static binder.

You will recall Richard sent me a small left hand panel image of this drawing. I had identified it as the most
accurate multiple view B-47 drawing for the B-47E by comparing to photos and the other drawings I have.
Documentation presented contests must be published documents. When compared to my other multiple
view drawings, these are superior.

Name:	DaveyB47LineArt500.jpg
Views:	6435
Size:	406.6 KB
ID:	169136  

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 07-15-2018 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:29 PM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Default Original Inked Multiple Views & Aviation News Arrived !

Chris's drawings and the 1980 news print Aviation News arrived. More after I review them.

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 07-08-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:19 PM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Default Final Outboard 1:8.7669

Outboard Nacelle Dims @ 1/8.7669

Length: 25.136593"

Width: 4.5626"

Heighth: 5.5136"

Name:	Outboard Cut Dim 1-87669rim.jpg
Views:	2345
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	169359  

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 07-08-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:52 PM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Default Where We Are 6/23/2013

Where are we now (June 23, 2013)

If you have reached this post from the beginning...congrats! You are well armed to build your own
Boeing B-47 Stratojet.

Chris Davey drew a 1:48th multiple view for Aviation News' 18 x 28 newsprint centerfold where it
appears in 1:72nd scale. Each month, this now extinct newsprint scale aviation rag focused on a
FAMILY of aircraft, looking at each subject from their intended use perspective.

In this explicit case...the world's first swept wing jet bomber.

Chris's 1:48th original drawing was reproduced @ 1:72nd and portions overlapped to permit them to
fit the front and back of the single folded centerfold sheet within Aviation News. This is not what I
was in need of. I needed each individual perspective to permit their use as my judge's tools.

Armed only with the a small scanned image of half the center fold face Richard emailed me, I searched
the net to find a 1:1 of the centerfold and came up empty. Yes, I went through Osprey's UK offices via
email but no one forwarded my inquiry to Chris. Two months later there still was no reply.

Finally I found favor with an editor in the New York office when I mentioned USA's F4C team effort I am
making. Finally I was taken seriously! Two days after inquiring... My email was forwarded to Chris. 10
days later after thinking I had failed again...on Sunday evening, I received a reply from Chris saying he
had both a Sept. 12th, 1980 issue Vol. 9 Number 8 of Aviation News and his original inked vellum multiple
view B-47 drawings.

Chris had debated down sizing as he nears his retiring, my inquiry tipped the scale to do so.

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 07-15-2018 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:31 PM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Default Boeing B-47 Maeuvers For FAI F4C

USAF Film Footage Showing four of ten flight maneuvers required when competing.

Immelman: (LABS Low Altitude Bombing System) Note: Heading Change w/and w/o RATO.
Cuban Eight: (Immelman w/Late Roll Out & High Angle Return To Low Altitude) Note: Heading Change
Barrel Roll: (W/altitude Differential)
Landing: (Approach ~ Touchdown With Cross Wind)

LABS: (As found in a Russian Fighter Pilot Manual)

Name:	Russian LABS Training.jpg
Views:	2332
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	169720  

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 04-26-2016 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Russian LABS Training
Old 06-26-2013, 06:32 PM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Default Boeing B-47 Maneuvers For FAI F4C

Immelman: (LABS Low Altitude Bombing System) Note: Heading Change w/and w/o RATO.
Cuban Eight: (Immelman w/Late Roll Out & High Angle Return To Low Altitude) Note: Heading Change
Barrel Roll: (W/altitude Differential)
Landing: (Approach ~ Touchdown With Cross Wind)

The most difficult maneuvers to perform with this model. Considering it is an electric, preservation of energy
is manditory, even with 20kw onboard. Maneuvers are flown from from highest altitude down through to final
approach with the Immelman, aka LABS, being the highest consumption.

FAI Flight sequence is different from AMA, Scale Masters, or Top Gun in that there are no repetitive element
from maneuver to maneuver.

For example:

Labs maneuver and Cuban Eight are differentiated by 90~110 degree release of the Mk15. Mk-15 has three parachutes released at its path apex to slow descent permitting B-47 to dive away on opposite heading to
escape bomb blast wave.

Name:	LABS-Pitch-UpIllustrated Lrg.jpg
Views:	2462
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	169721  

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 07-09-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:17 PM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Discovered another 13.xxx foot wingspan B-47... Being constructed by "Bernie" in Lost Wages, NV.

Greg, Bernie's friend says this was drawn by Bernie using a Revelle plastic model. Canopy is from an RCLander
T-33. Retract mains appear to be RCLander's all metal electric retract, identical to the unit we chose for our
out rigger retracts. These are rated at about 14# each. Surprised to see them on an estimated 40# AUW.

Bernie uses six 90mm edf...no specifics. Flap motion is via a brass torque tube driven at three locations from a
long wood tiller arm and rod attached to tube at right angle to its length.

Bernie was emailed an invitation to share details of his project, we'll see.

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 07-15-2018 at 04:47 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:26 PM
Capt G

These main gear are actually E Flite mechanisms with home made struts using HD springs. Outriggers will be smaller e flite gear.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:00 PM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Default Mains

Originally Posted by Capt G View Post
These main gear are actually E Flite mechanisms with home made struts using HD springs. Outriggers will be smaller e flite gear.
Early on I considered using those for our outriggers but they were out of stock for a year. Horizon had issues with the manufacturer who took forever to deliver. We already had Robart 160 tailwheel retracts for our mains. They are converted by Down & Locked with ma long screw jack.

Electric RC Lander outrigger mechanics are configured in steerable mode with left and right springs to bring them to center complying to force during turns. The 1:1 swivel is 24~26 degrees to inside and about half that to the outside.

The outriggers are piano hinged across rear side of mounting plate so when an abrupt hault occurs the force will sheer a single nylon screw and swing rearward to a point where it will keep wing elevated and not drag runway or ground.

Glad to see Horizon has their 120 size electrics again. Would be interesting to compare the Horizon to the RCLander mechanics.

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 07-19-2013 at 04:45 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:22 PM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Default Bernie's B-47

I enjoyed a short conversation with Bernie Leung last evening. His B-52's were as much of
our discussion as the B-47. All of his work is built up from stick and formers. He will plank
then sand to shape.

This is followed by sealing, resanding, then either prime and paint or tissue, prime and paint.
For those unaware, back in the day...we sealed and sanded to an excess to achieve the look
of the real thing...metal.

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 07-09-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:13 PM
pattern14
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Flite-Metal View Post
Discovered another 13.xxx foot wingspan B-47... Being constructed by a "Bernie" in Lost Wages, NV.

Greg, Bernie's friend says this was drawn by Bernie using a Revelle plastic model. Canopy is from an RCLander
T-33. Retract mains appear to be RCLander's all metal electric retract, identical to the unit we chose for our
out rigger retracts. These are rated at about 14# each. Surprised to see them on an estimated 40# AUW.

Bernie uses six 90mm edf...no specifics. Flap motion is via a brass torque tube driven at three locations from a
long wood tiller arm and rod attached to tube at right angle to its length.

Bernie was emailed an invitation to share details of his project, we'll see.

With all the foam these days, that looks refreshingly good Is there really a place called "Lost Wages".....? and how come he gets to build in his kitchen?
Old 07-10-2013, 12:09 AM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Default 82 Years Young

When you are 82 years old you can pretty well tell her what's where and for how long. 180 degrees in the other
direction is the dining room. This is the 20' between kitchen and formal dining room.

This is anticipated to be 44~48# AUW with batteries. Ironically, I expect ours to weight the same AUW. Ours,
sans batteries, has to be at or under 15Kg.

You have apparently never been to Las Vegas, NV or you would understand... ;^)

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 09-27-2013 at 12:01 AM.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:40 AM
pattern14
Super Contributor

When you are 82 years old you can pretty well her the what's in here for how long! 180 degrees in the other
direction is the dining room. This is the 20' between kitchen and formal dining room.

This is anticipated to be 44~48# AUW with batteries. Ironically, I expect ours to weight the same AUW. Ours,
sans batteries, has to be at or under 15Kg.

You have apparently never been to Las Vegas, NV or you would understand... ;^)

Does that mean I have to wait another 30 years to build inside the house??? ...and no, I don't gamble...
Old 07-10-2013, 12:56 AM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

I have always considered myself fortunate. My wife has her own hobbies, in the house, where its either
cool in summer or warm in winter...why?

Your statement made it sound as if your personal groceries might be piled up in your shop after you and
she return from the grocery? Are you permitted to enjoy air conditioning...which she probably has in all
areas within the home...except probably your shop?

Not to sound selfish... What did you do, or not do on her last birthday?...less your opinion on woman's suffrage...

"By marriage, the personal identity of the woman is lost. Her person is completely sunk in that of her
husband, and he acquires an absolute mastery over her person and effects. Hence her complete
disability to contract legal obligations; and except in the event of separation by divorce, or other causes,
a married woman in the United Kingdom cannot engage in trade. ”

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 07-13-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:58 AM
pattern14
Super Contributor

I have always considered myself fortunate. My wife has her own hobbies, in the house, where its either
cool in summer or warm in winter...why?

Because I read what Pattern wrote!

Are your groceries piled up in your shop after you and she return from the grocery? Are you permitted
to enjoy air conditioning...which she probably has in all areas within the home...except probably your
shop?

Not to sound selfish... What did you do, or not do on her last birthday?...Anniversary...less what you
probably did not do on Nat'l Temperance Day...

Grab a cold one and hang on folks... This can only get better
You really lost me on this one Ed I don't have air conditioning, I have no idea what a "Nat'l temperance day" is ( suppose I could look it up??), and I usually do the grocery shopping so to save her back, seeing we live miles out of town. And I do all the cooking.......are you sure you didn't inhale some fumes while you were cutting foam??
Old 07-10-2013, 02:45 PM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Read the top sentence in my post...

You made it sound as if you we're having to say may I in every element of your hobby activities. I have never had issues because I respect my wife's hobbies, making space for them.

Our severe heat makes for less than comfortable conditions in a garage shop for 6 months out of the year. Too often wives resent r/c due to their interests not being acknowledged, or worse...not budgeted while hubby enjoys his relaxing hobby(ies).

Sound like someone in your club? It's all too common. Not to pick on you Pattern..

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 07-10-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:50 AM
pattern14
Super Contributor

Read the top sentence in my post...

You made it sound as if you we're having to say may I in every element of your hobby activities. I have never had issues because I respect my wife's hobbies, making space for them.

Our severe heat makes for less than comfortable conditions in a garage shop for 6 months out of the year. Too often wives resent r/c due to their interests not being acknowledged, or worse...not budgeted while hubby enjoys his relaxing hobby(ies).

Sound like someone in your club? It's all too common. Not to pick on you Pattern..

No problems Ed. I didn't understand the intention behind the post, so I'm glad you cleared it up. Being a shift worker means that I get to build, fix, and fly at all different times, and I have a dedicated shed/hangar/workshop some distance from the house. My wife ( bless her soul), actually paid for the building materials for this out of her inheritance Maybe she was trying to keep me out of the kitchen after all, but I suspect that the real reason was to give me my own space without having to work around everyone else in this somewhat hectic household Living in rural Tasmania means that there are no clubs close by, or even another fellow flier, so I get to fly from home, with hundreds of acres of farmland to use. No going away, travelling expenses etc. I see your point though...lots of blokes put their interests first, such as fishing, golf, motorcycles, firearms and so on, and then act surprised when their wife resents the time and cost involved Still trying to figure out how that fellow is going to get his plane out of the house though cheers..
Old 07-11-2013, 02:55 AM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Who's plane? Bernie's??? It has a two piece wing.

Ed
Old 07-12-2013, 01:52 AM
Capt G

Here's how the flaps work. The key is two connections on the servo arm - one to extend and the inner one to droop the flap. Range from zero to 40 degrees. Two Hi Tech 225MGs and one 85MG.

Name:	IMG_20130711_161657_648.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	169833   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130711_161719_562.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	169834   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130711_161544_391.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	169835   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130711_161333_206.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	169836   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130711_161503_547.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	169837  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130711_162232_893.jpg
Views:	2002
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	169838   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130711_162259_823.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	169839  
Old 07-12-2013, 02:02 AM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Default Smaller Model Flap Control

Originally Posted by Capt G View Post
Here's how the flaps work. The key is two connections on the servo arm - one to
extend and the inner one to droop the flap. Range from zero to 40 degrees. Two Hi Tech 225MGs and one
85MG.
An excellent solution when model is smaller. The 13' wingspan B-47's have an inner flap extension of 5.125".
Below is the way I thought I would do this back in the beginning...but could not get the extension needed.
The stop in the track served the same as the second rod as a stop, then shuttle continues rearward.

Sam's initial design utilized Nyrod push-pull across the flap width. The long runs brought concern for temperature
changes effecting alignment and uniform function. Then he moved to telescoptic tubes, brass then carbon fiber.
What appeared to be minimum slip-fit was an education in ineffeciency by the time three telescoptic sets were
built as a test bed.

Sam's final flap configuration is a winner, about 90% smaller than previous in-bay parts, it is a miniature of the 1:1
flap drive. It was funny how the further along he worked the flaps eventually resembled and functioned most like
the original. We will be cutting our wing and laying up the inboard and outboard flaps shortly.

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 07-13-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:20 PM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Project Preamble: Please read and determine for yourself how the following applies to you, the reader:

Any and all persons reading this discussion must come to their own determination of the safety and wisdom of
emulating or replicating any and all aspects of what is described within this discussion.

This includes, but is not limited to your own decision on the safety of and whether you should be involved in this
or these activities and any processes or use of equipment related to recreating what is, or has been discussed
here-in by topic author and or subscribers to WattFlyer, the host of this discussion.

Neither the author of this topic nor WattFlyer.com are responsible for proper or improper use of, nor the correct
or incorrectness of any process activity undertaken by any one or all readers of this construction thread.

*As in all modeling activities, reader beware of the personal skills to either properly or improperly apply the
principals described here-in. It is impossible to declare whether this activity is or is not proper for readers of
this discussion. The reader is solely responsible for their utilization of this information.

For your safety, consult an electrical engineer to explain the dangers associated with a model powered with
voltages equal or greater to those utilized in this EDF Boeing B-47 project.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:42 PM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Default BAC145 Hot Wiring Formica Template

Preping for hot wiring wing.

Ed

Name:	BAC145on3811pages.jpg
Views:	1985
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	169914  

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 09-27-2013 at 12:02 AM.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:56 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Thumbs up

What Ed said...

Project Preamble: Please read and determine for yourself how the following applies to you, the reader:

Any and all persons reading this discussion must come to their own determination of the safety and wisdom of
emulating or replicating any and all aspects of what is described within this discussion.

This includes, but is not limited to your own decision on the safety of and whether you should be involved in this
or these activities and any processes or use of equipment related to recreating what is, or has been discussed
here-in by topic author and or subscribers to WattFlyer, the host of this discussion.

Neither the author of this topic nor WattFlyer.com are responsible for proper or improper use of, nor the correct
or incorrectness of any process activity undertaken by any one or all readers of this construction thread.

*As in all modeling activities, reader beware of the personal skills to either properly or improperly apply the
principals described here-in. It is impossible to declare whether this activity is or is not proper for readers of
this discussion. The reader is solely responsible for their utilization of this information.

For your safety, consult an electrical engineer to explain the dangers associated with a model powered with
voltages equal or greater to those utilized in this EDF Boeing B-47 project.

Quick Reply: B-47 8.77th (1:8.7669) Scale, Boeing Stratojet Component Assembly

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11459 seconds with 26 queries