Eflite Whipit UM DLG!! - Page 2 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

Eflite Whipit UM DLG!!

Old 05-06-2015, 06:49 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

My order vanished, electrons sucked into the ozone. After placing the order April 1 and calling Horizon twice to check on shipping dates they don't have any record of an order. Yikes! Aliens are kidnapping my Whipit order.

I just got off the phone, placing an order that way so I could get immediate satisfaction that the order was approved. As of 12:40 EDT there are no Whipits in stock as all have been allocated. They only promised that I'd get covered with the next order with no estimate of when they'll be there.

Looks like the success of the Whipit has surprised the company! I suggested that based on the success of this, eFlite should look into a 1M or 1.5M DLG in the near future. My rep immediately put lots of distance between himself and the eFlite stragegy team--certainly didn't encourage me at all. But I wouldn't count eFlite out on following up on success.

Looks like this plane will do just what it was designed to: lower the barriers to DLGs to make a casual tryout something that looks really attractive to people who wouldn't consider the high price of most other "entry" DLGs. This will sell lots of the already existing "entry" DLGs too, as Whipit owners find themselves wanting more.

Yahoo! Success stories are fun.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:27 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

And......first order found! Ships today. Life is GOOD!
Old 05-15-2015, 09:03 PM
GBLynden

I got mine!

Old 05-15-2015, 11:25 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Nice, looks like a nice fun little glider. I still think any claims of 1 minute in dead air are fantasy, but that doesn't take away from the fun factor.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:40 AM
GBLynden

It is sure fun to say the least!
Old 05-18-2015, 05:50 AM
GBLynden

This is the second batch of flights with a special guest that showed up after John and I started getting the hang of it. We went out and did some more today and I even tried some launches that matched its name with pretty good success!

Of course those aren't shown in this video but will be showing up soon!

Old 05-18-2015, 05:16 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Mine is in but haven't flown it yet. I did a number of mods to it and then chickened out on removing the wrinkled wing decals after learning that a Monokote iron set on 250 will remove those wrinkles perfectly on the smaller decals and good enough on the large wing decals.

Be careful not to overshrink the decal while you're doing this as you'll introduce a bow in the wing. It's probably harmless or actually helpful but I took any bow out by gently heating, then holding the wing straight while the decal cooled. If you've ever dealt with Monokote it's very easy. If you haven't a little trial and terror and you'll be good to go.

The tail decals are under death sentence but I will fly first. Here's how well the Monokote iron removes wrinkles:

I reinforced the center section of the wing with 3 mil document lamination film (courtesy of Lee at Crashtesthobby.com). There have been several reports of this section wrinkling after 8 hours of flights. It may be because of ham fisted launch technique but I'm a newbie at DLG too, so I will defend against my own incompetence here.

Yes, I whip out my gram scale and play with tenths of a gram. You can take the plane out of the realm of building but you can't take the builder out of the flier.....

Bottoms of the wingtips are protected with a half inch strip of laminate.

Bottom of the vertical stab is protected with a minimal amount of laminate

And a sacrificial patch acts as a protection during landing so all touch points on landing are protected with replaceable laminate. Total weight added about .4 grams. Removing the tail decals will fix that.

If I stripe the wings it will be with permanent marker to save weight. I'm going to trim it just like my Radian with CG so that in level flight at best glide my elevator is just the slightest detectable bit down.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:08 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Looking good RR. Interested to hear what you think of the potential dead air flight times after flying it.

Regrading the CG... The usual way with a DLG is to set the CG so it launches straight. If it tends to loop then move the CG back and add down trim, if it tends to dive off launch (unlikely) add nose weight and up trim. Within reason where the elevator ends up is irrelevant.

They tend to be very sensitive to small CG changes especially during the launch phase.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:13 PM
GBLynden

Good stuff RR! Now take it out and Whip it! It is so much fun
Old 05-20-2015, 08:23 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Looking good RR. Interested to hear what you think of the potential dead air flight times after flying it.
We've had several days to look at flights by novices who aren't sailplane wizards. They're doing the same stuff wrong as anyone else would at first and it looks like a 40 second flight in dead air is a long one.

Every time you deflect a control surface you lose altitude. Transition between launch and cruise is absolutely critical. Launch technique itself is critical. I haven't launched mine yet but I can tell that the normal newbie just tries to "muscle" it up to altitude when it's purely technique like tossing a frisbee. A great toss puts very little stress on you. So yeah, I have the "booklearning" knowledge of how to do it. But that doesn't transfer into technique right away. It'll be fun to be a noob there.

I don't doubt that the Horizon guys were getting 60 seconds in dead air. But their times and our times will be quite a bit different. Still I'm impressed by the design and most of the build quality of this plane. It's a great buy for $70.00.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:54 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

All this talk of mini DLG's has prompted ne to dust off my 1M span Elf DLG. If the awful weather we have been having here for weeks on end eases I'll give it a few tosses on the weekend. it's good for 70 seconds or so in dead air, maybe slightly more with a very good launch.

How a foamy half the size could get close to a full composite 1M DLG is one of the reasons I'm sceptical... time will tell. As for launches, forget the theory, practice is the only way. IMHO with a little one there isn't really any advantage in the full spin DLG launch. A quick whip from the shoulder is probably more reliable, see how you find it.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:43 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Experienced fliers have said that the Whipit reminds them of the Elf in flying characteristics. Of course the Reynolds number gods punish the Whipit for entertaining such thoughts and they can't be equal. But it has that same buoyant and spritely feel to it they say. Hey, it's all I'm going to know for awhile so I won't notice the difference. I have a lot of learning to do.

Has anyone flown the Mountain Models DLGs?
Old 05-25-2015, 02:59 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Experienced fliers have said that the Whipit reminds them of the Elf in flying characteristics. Of course the Reynolds number gods punish the Whipit for entertaining such thoughts and they can't be equal. But it has that same buoyant and spritely feel to it they say. Hey, it's all I'm going to know for awhile so I won't notice the difference. I have a lot of learning to do.

Has anyone flown the Mountain Models DLGs?
The DL-50 has the most bang for the buck, There a kit and you must glass the wings and Fuse with Polycrylic an easy thing on this plane, I'm getting my 3'rd one as I tend to give them to friends and see if I can build it lighter ect,, my last one was 6 3/4Oz ,their best at around 8 1/2-9 Oz ,, that's my target my first one was the best and still fly's near everyday with My Bub Dan
bubsteve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	17355796109_76f61e0458_k.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	673.3 KB
ID:	180849   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2323.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	180850   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2370.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	180851   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2353.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	180852  
Old 06-10-2015, 03:58 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

The wind here finaly died down enough for me to pop out during my lunchbreak and have a few throws of my Elf DLG. It was quite breezy and my launching was a little erratic but i did pull off several 1 minute plus flights then one really nice flight where I hooked up in a pretty decent thermal. I scored a 5 minute 50 second flight but could have been up much longer if I'd had more time, I had to deliberatly bail out of the thermal.

I had a great time, i remember now how much i like flying gliders!

I got the flight on video which i can upload if there is any interest but there isnt much to see because a 1m span glider at high altitude, filmed on a headcam without zoom, is no more than a spec.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:30 AM
Romans5.8

Now whose gonna be the first one to hook one of these up to the back of an E-Flite park flyer and tow it up? :P
Old 06-11-2015, 04:53 AM
GBLynden

I saw a video with a guy launching his into the air with an Estes rocket!

Here is that video:
Old 07-22-2015, 08:59 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Getting some experience on the Whipit. Observation one is that this particular launcher is really, really bad. Consistent results just aren't happening and I get the plane into some pretty funky attitudes.

The good news is that it just doesn't matter. It rolls with rudder just as if it had ailerons and if it's upside down you just hit the rudder and it rolls out level smooth as can be. You might be flustered but the plane takes it as just routine--no sweat.

I reinforced about 2" from the end of the plastic outward with 3 mil document lamination film and have no stress wrinkles or cracks like others have posted. I also mounted a hook on the bottom and purchased an ASK-21 hi-start from Horizon. It's marginally better than my hand launches, but locating the thread in tall grass is very difficult and I get four or five hand launches in the time it takes to retrieve one hi-start. The little ribbon and thin thread is just impossible to find. Now I know why a full size hi-start has a parachute at the top.

Tried dual rate on my DX5e and wasn't impressed. Made the plane feel sluggish so went back to linear. It's really easy to overcontrol and kill your glide. Right now the plane is much more capable than I am!
Old 07-22-2015, 09:42 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by GBLynden View Post
I saw a video with a guy launching his into the air with an Estes rocket!
That might explain the 1 minute duration claims

RR... if the launches are proving tricky you might try slope soaring. Here's my Elf a couple of weeks ago flying in hardly a breath of wind off sand dunes at the beach:

Sorry if the waves on beach soundtrack sounds a bit lame. I dubbed it in to cover the sound of my two dogs Alfie and Charlie barking at the plane constantly the whole flight!
Old 07-23-2015, 02:46 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

I have had one for about a month or so now. Picked it up at our not so local hobbytown (over an hour drive away).

So far I like it. Not been able to get much flight time but my son is doing a bit better with it. We have been able to get a couple thermals off the roof of the garage just as the air starts to cool in the evening but the black roof is still pretty warm.

Learning more with it each day and have only put it in a tree once...
Old 12-23-2015, 12:01 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

I was just curious with a flying season under the belt if anyone ever got close to those claimed 60 second duration 'dead air' flights with the Whipit.. Or was I right and you would be doing well to get half of that?

I've not got much more flying with my little Elf DLG, it's just been too windy this year.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:22 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Nope, flown mine a lot and not even close to one minute flights.

Guess i just don't have the technique down right...
Old 12-23-2015, 01:56 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Nope, and I have quickly grown bored with mine.

Anyone want to buy it?
Old 12-23-2015, 08:00 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
Nope, and I have quickly grown bored with mine.

Anyone want to buy it?
Sure,, We need another one
bubsteve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SAM_2645.JPG (1.80 MB, 530 views)
SAM_2649.JPG (1.80 MB, 499 views)
SAM_2643.JPG (1.80 MB, 435 views)
Old 12-24-2015, 05:02 AM
MadMonkey
OOGA BOOGA

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
My order vanished, electrons sucked into the ozone. After placing the order April 1 and calling Horizon twice to check on shipping dates they don't have any record of an order. Yikes! Aliens are kidnapping my Whipit order.
I didn't see this until now... this is creepy, I pre-ordered mine and then never got an email or any confirmation, card never got charged, nothing!

I had decided I was going completely nuts and never actually ordered it!
Old 12-30-2015, 08:48 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
I was just curious with a flying season under the belt if anyone ever got close to those claimed 60 second duration 'dead air' flights with the Whipit.. Or was I right and you would be doing well to get half of that?

I've not got much more flying with my little Elf DLG, it's just been too windy this year.
Nope, you pegged it perfectly at about 30 seconds. That's how long you have to find lift and I'm just not good enough to pull it off yet. Still a fun plane to fly.

This thing is very well balanced. My very first flight I got some wrist in there that wasn't supposed to be. The plane was 30' in the air, upside down and I'm thinking "I'm ready to do my first modification here....."

But dial in rudder and it did a spritely roll to right side up without losing six inches of altitude. It's an impressive flier that is too small to launch to the height you need to have time to find lift.

So, a beautiful flier that will disappoint many hoping for higher launches and longer flight times. I'll keep mine! I like your suggestion that this might be a great slope plane. It has a fast glide speed and seems like it would be perfect. Now to find a slope in the flattest state in the Union...

Quick Reply: Eflite Whipit UM DLG!!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15189 seconds with 18 queries