For All Those Who Continue To Mis-Identify UAV Craft - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Special Interest Aircraft This is the place to discuss those unusual Electric aircraft. Ornothopters, RC Hang gliders, Parasails, Hydroplanes. Blimps, Airships, Gyro-copters, Hovercrafts, and anything else that I forgot.

For All Those Who Continue To Mis-Identify UAV Craft

Old 09-30-2015, 03:26 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Default For All Those Who Continue To Mis-Identify UAV Craft

Now this is a DRONE.........:

The British Taranis

This IS NOT A DRONE.........:

The DJI Phantom

Old 09-30-2015, 06:13 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Agreed.

But thanks to the mislabeling of these RC Quad copters by the main stream media the term "drone" now encompasses them, whether we like it or not.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:30 PM
formontoya

did you just go through the AMA survey?

But I agree...just because it does not have an onboard pilot that does NOT mean it's a drone.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:07 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Main stream media also considers this a DRONE too.....:

LOL......getting it 50% of the time correct is not a passing grade........
Old 09-30-2015, 09:59 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

I get it, and agree with you.

It's a battle to correct that we cannot win.
Old 10-01-2015, 01:27 AM
DHC Beaver

As usual,media are short on facts,and long on sensationalism.
A pilot of a local airliner reported seeing a "drone" at 6000 feet.If that was true,why didn't they take a picture on their phone?I doubt the feasability of a quadcopter being flown at 6000 feet,and if it was,how could pilots,who are flying at a high rate of knots,even see it.
Just another beat up of the quadcopter hobbyist.
Granted,there are a large number of irresponsible idiots out there,but the media is quite happy to take notice of these morons.And that is all they want,attention!
Old 10-02-2015, 05:05 PM
Turner
Super Contributor

I guess I need some education but I just don't see the objection from the RC community about the use of the term drone.

Why is a big expensive military UAV a drone and a hobby aircraft not a drone? By many definitions I find online they all qualify.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:40 PM
formontoya

The objection I have is negative media coverage implying that RC hobbyist are flying "drones" which in the laymen's term means spying/weapons capable flying craft.
Old 10-03-2015, 01:29 AM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Originally Posted by Turner View Post
I guess I need some education but I just don't see the objection from the RC community about the use of the term drone.

Why is a big expensive military UAV a drone and a hobby aircraft not a drone? By many definitions I find online they all qualify.
Here's a little "education"..........the term DRONE was first applied to unmanned aerial vehicles like balloons (UAV's) used by the military for target practice. The implication military, of course, relates to it's expanded use as a surveillance and intelligence gathering tool and later weapons engagement.

Check out this link, it gives a pretty accurate time line and is an easy to follow discussion. The other links provided there are also very interesting....:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...ones-explained

Even though the smaller modern Multi-Rotor crafts being used (by the govt. op's) appear to be nothing more than what the public can purchase, they are a far cry from what any of us can purchase over the counter at the LHS......Ya, we may be able to purchase parts and build a Multi-Rotor craft that has SOME of the military capabilities (AV, FPV, GPS, ect), nothing the average civilian population can build has the same flight time, distance, tracking, data storage, communication, ballistic arms or video capabilities.

To lump all unmanned aircraft into the "DRONE" class is not only extremely inaccurate, but also increasing the negative perception and sensationalism the media thrives on..........does anyone really think the media or the retail marketing knuckleheads will spend any serious and expanded research time to qualify their published abstracts.....?.......I think not, for all of the obvious reasons..........nothing sells (gets the most attention) better than blood and mayhem..........

It may be a losing cause, but I'll continue to qualify and "consider the sources" reporting or marketing the term DRONE.......it's still the one choice I can control when purchasing or deciding what I care to read....or express an "opinion" on..........

Last edited by pizzano; 10-03-2015 at 02:09 AM.
Old 10-03-2015, 01:53 AM
Turner
Super Contributor

Well, Pizzano, thanks for the link but the article seems to bolster my position.

This all sounds terrifying. Does this mean that all drones are potentially out to kill me? Not at all; many are completely harmless. The term "drone" encompasses a wide variety of flying, remotely controlled devices, many of which have nothing to do with death or destruction. Many are no larger than a textbook. Others are the size of small birds. For instance, the Pentagon has thrown millions of dollars into the development of hummingbird-inspired drones that could be used for surveillance, locating individuals trapped inside buildings, and detecting hazardous chemicals.

There's also a vast array of drones that have zip to do with any military. For example, a Silicon Valley startup experimented with a "Tacocopter" drone that would work as a taco takeout delivery service. These Google-funded surveillance drones help protect rhinos and other wildlife hunted by poachers in Africa and Asia. Hollywood is lobbying the government to allow them to use drones for filming difficult shots. And here's a longer list of drones—farming drones, hurricane-tracking drones, etc.—that aren't out to kill you.

Indeed, there are a lot of uses for drones that aren't designed to rain down hellfire on you.
So, I don't really use the term myself and I'm no fan of military drones or surveillance drones but I still don't get why you people care so much about the broad use of the term. From the article it seems the first use of the term in the 1930's was for a radio controlled aircraft that was no doubt far less sophisticated than what $500 will get you today at the local hobby shop. Much ado about nothing if you ask me.
Old 10-03-2015, 02:07 AM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Well, Pizzano, thanks for the link but the article seems to bolster my position.

So, I don't really use the term myself and I'm no fan of military drones or surveillance drones but I still don't get why you people care so much about the broad use of the term. From the article it seems the first use of the term in the 1930's was for a radio controlled aircraft that was no doubt far less sophisticated than what $500 will get you today at the local hobby shop. Much ado about nothing if you ask me.
Turner, obviously you got lost in the translation..........it's still a military "acronym"........what aspect of the term "military" did you perceive was friendly, passive, docile, harmless and hobby related..........that, my friend, is the POINT.........
Old 10-03-2015, 02:23 AM
Turner
Super Contributor

From your article:

There's also a vast array of drones that have zip to do with any military.
I guess some people just have nothing better to do than be angry about nothing.
Old 10-03-2015, 03:01 AM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

From your article:

I guess some people just have nothing better to do than be angry about nothing.
And I'm glad you shared your opinion and was engaged in part of the "argument".........
Old 10-03-2015, 02:20 PM
tobydogs
love to build!

I must disagree with pizzano on the DJI not being called a drone.

I fly 250 quads regularly and consider them hobby quadcopters. the DJI is considered a drone do to the pilots who own them.

Have you ever gone to a club field and seen a pilot fly the DJI they talk endlessly about how great the DJI is and show off the hover stability for the 15 pluse minutes it flys around,and they brag how easy it is to fly,land,take pictures,videos,fly over landmarks,houses,used for businesses ,ect... ect.....

They take an expensive toy quad copter and "Drone"[talk] on and on and on how good it is. thus the DJI become a drone

I fly and crash my blade 350qx,toss it's bits and pieces in a box on the shelf and hardly ever talk about it,thus it is not a drone.
Old 10-03-2015, 02:57 PM
Turner
Super Contributor

And when the manufacturers and users call them drones how can you fault the media. DJI calls themselves "The World Leader in Camera Drones".
Old 10-03-2015, 05:02 PM
Flubber

I wonder how long it will be until all of our models are called drones. And then regulated into oblivion. Keep fighting the good fight Pizzano

I call them multirotors, It confuses everyone.
Old 10-03-2015, 05:34 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Originally Posted by tobydogs View Post
I must disagree with pizzano on the DJI not being called a drone.

I fly 250 quads regularly and consider them hobby quadcopters. the DJI is considered a drone do to the pilots who own them.

Have you ever gone to a club field and seen a pilot fly the DJI they talk endlessly about how great the DJI is and show off the hover stability for the 15 pluse minutes it flys around,and they brag how easy it is to fly,land,take pictures,videos,fly over landmarks,houses,used for businesses ,ect... ect.....

They take an expensive toy quad copter and "Drone"[talk] on and on and on how good it is. thus the DJI become a drone

I fly and crash my blade 350qx,toss it's bits and pieces in a box on the shelf and hardly ever talk about it,thus it is not a drone.
Another point missed........call, name, identify the craft by anything one care's to.........the fact remains "a rose will smell the same by any other name"........lol. I'm not debating what people call Multi-Rotors, the issue is hobby grade, over the counter/mail order, civilian purchased Multi-Rotor craft are intentionally marketed and misrepresented as DRONES (due to it's military connotation).......in order to sensationalize and draw attention.........!

It seems to have worked........lol. I dare say, how many of the average "Joe Schmoes" would pay attention to any propaganda that was titled "Hobby Multi-Rotor Craft Sighting".........."Learn To Fly A Hobby Multi-Rotor Craft"............LOL

Due to the military term DRONE, it has a much more "darker, taboo and exciting" feel to it...........thus, all the negative feedback (along with the way many idiots use them). I don't blame those who use the term freely, for not caring or understanding the term........the fault lies with the manufactures and distributors who's marketing guru's started this debatical..........and they've won.....................so far......!

Last edited by pizzano; 10-03-2015 at 06:00 PM.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:49 AM
MadMonkey
OOGA BOOGA

Ehhh. It used to bother me but not so much any more. As professional UAV operator I've flown hundreds of missions overseas without using manual controls, just buttons or mouse clicks on a screen. My P2V+ will do the same thing, just on a smaller scale. So will a huge number of both fixed-wing and multirotor hobbyist aircraft.

I don't really care about the name now. I do differentiate between those that will fly autonomously and those that require manual control, and I'll educate people on that to make sure they know the difference. I don't personally call them drones, but I don't fly off the handle if someone else does.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:48 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

This media campaign was shown today on CBS.......:

http://www.cbsnews.com/drones/

All about the "DRONE".....lol
Old 10-07-2015, 10:56 PM
Turner
Super Contributor

Idiots sure are making it bad for responsible users.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:56 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Idiots sure are making it bad for responsible users.
That is true for just about everything
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	bilde.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	181939   Click image for larger version

Name:	stupid-crash.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	181940  
Old 10-11-2015, 02:40 PM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

And that's why there is the Darwin Awards.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:23 PM
Turner
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Flubber View Post
I wonder how long it will be until all of our models are called drones. And then regulated into oblivion. Keep fighting the good fight Pizzano

I call them multirotors, It confuses everyone.
Not long it seems.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:53 PM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Hogwash, you can put a bomb on any RC aircraft. You may not like it, I do not care what you think, but the truth is undeniable. We now have extremely cheap guided missiles even a 10 year old can deploy and attack with. By the time you detect it, it is tool late.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:28 PM
birdDog
Charging....

Originally Posted by DHC Beaver View Post
As usual,media are short on facts,and long on sensationalism.
A pilot of a local airliner reported seeing a "drone" at 6000 feet.If that was true,why didn't they take a picture on their phone?I doubt the feasability of a quadcopter being flown at 6000 feet,and if it was,how could pilots,who are flying at a high rate of knots,even see it.
Just another beat up of the quadcopter hobbyist.
Granted,there are a large number of irresponsible idiots out there,but the media is quite happy to take notice of these morons.And that is all they want,attention!
I recall reading somewhere that the majority of "drone" sighting that are counted in the yearly totals are actually military vehicles. This certainly adds to the sensationalism. 6,000ft is not a Hobby King model.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.16220 seconds with 12 queries